A lonely autistic boy ask "Would someone like me?"

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2019, 9:03 am

Fireblossom wrote:
...Maybe I'm just a negative person, but I couldn't help but think if those words from all those people actually mean anything. I mean, it's easy to just type something with your computer/phone, feel good about yourself for doing a good deed and then go on with your life.

I totally understand your position because that's the spot where I find myself so many times. When people are reporting some heartfelt story, I can see where they are coming from but I'm looking coldly to the other sides of it. Under my own eyes, I find it unfortunate that so many people are willing to reach out to others with such an empty kind of compassion.

The kid though, seems unaware that people are maybe just being a tad cheesy. Hopefully, there's no actual harm. I think.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 9:04 am

An "empty" sort of compassion is better than no compassion at all....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 9:26 am

Anyone read the comments attached to that article?

One says: "This is quite frankly a demented attempt from the mom grasping for attention. If the son had posted this plea it would have been heart warming, but this is obviously a mom desperate for attention saying "look at me, I'm suffering too, poor pitiful me!" Your son looks pretty happy to me, buck up buttercup and keep a stiff upper lip. If that doesn't work give yourself a good slap in the face, maybe that will snap you out of your victim mentality"

I think he might be right.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 9:32 am

Or it could be some poster who has no idea what he/she is talking about. Maybe the poster is having a bad day---or this poster spends too much time on the Internet---or maybe has had some trauma happen to him/her.

You never know.

I feel like it's likely that the mother had good intentions in posting this. But....you never know.

In most cases, I have found it better to give the benefit of doubt to people.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2019, 9:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
An "empty" sort of compassion is better than no compassion at all....

I understand.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2019, 9:41 am

EzraS wrote:
Anyone read the comments attached to that article?

Everyone wants attention these days, sure. But if that's the case, the same could be said of those people who write those kinds of incendiary comments. What do they get from being obnoxious?

If I think it's just attention-seeking or something along those lines, I just don't comment on that.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 10:18 am

There are many kind hearted people in this world. Not all, but many. And they truly wish well for others. A gesture of good will should never be tarnished.

As Cyberdad said "There are good people out there, the problem is that we tend to focus on the few unfriendly types and attribute that behavior to the rest of society. We are all guilty of misattribution."

As far as the comment on calling him a boy. I personally would take no offense. I am 71 years old but when I review charts that define the states of childhood development, I am in the "pleasing four stage". I am like a four or five year old. But I wear a mask as an introverted adult. And I live in a world absolutely full of great wonder.

I tried to define myself in a quote twenty years ago and the following is all that I could come up with:

Events shape our lives, even distant and dark ones. From the time I was a wee little one, I have stopped my fear of dark places. I pick up my torch and journey alone through darkened corridors leading down into bottomless caverns of events past. I stumble upon the remnants of an intricate puzzle, which I bring back with me, and in the quiet of my dreams, are assembled before me.

Being a young boy is nothing to be scoffed at. It is almost magical.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 11:51 am

Personally I would not want to be referred to as a boy. But I don't expect my personal preference to govern others. Unless it is directed at me personally.

When it comes to parents showcasing their special needs children my feelings about it are mixed. From a personal standpoint if my mom did something like that with me I would be mortified. But that's me.

Last edited by EzraS on 04 Nov 2019, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 11:52 am

She should at least ask you.....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 12:04 pm

Some parents have a tendency to yammer on about their children (even adult children) on social media in ways that surprise me. Fortunately for me mine don't. I get mentioned in ways like I was with them someplace, did whatever with them. But that's about it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Nov 2019, 12:56 pm

Why wouldn't he join some online community and speak for himself? Neither autism nor severe immunodeficiency are reasons not to meet people online.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 1:33 pm

He may not be able to read or spell.

In my work, a serious effort is made to recognize adult status. Anyone over 18 is an adult. But it is still common to use terms like boy, girl, the kids when referring to adults.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 1:50 pm

blazingstar wrote:
He may not be able to read or spell.

In my work, a serious effort is made to recognize adult status. Anyone over 18 is an adult. But it is still common to use terms like boy, girl, the kids when referring to adults.

Right, just as one can be unable to be verbal one can also not make the connection to be able to read and write. Even though I do a lot of posting, it takes me time to put it together. I type at a rate 8 to 10 words per minute. And I could not read and write until I was 10.

Well now that you mention it I just realized my (same age) cousin and I are still collectively referred to as "the boys".

Last edited by EzraS on 04 Nov 2019, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 1:58 pm

One thing I have to watch out for is calling someone a "kid." Where I grew up it was a term of affection, and sometimes it still slips out if I am feeling fondness for someone. Where I live now, it is an insult to call an adult "kid."

There are times when it is okay to call adults "kids". Grandparents get to do it, for example.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 5:37 pm

Think about Humphrey Bogart: "Here's lookin' at you, kid."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 6:43 pm

I think people attacking the mother for seeking attention don't get how isolated parents can feel as well. Having a special needs kid reduces your friendship circle for multiple reasons. Most of the time friends/family feel awkward having to put on a "smiley face" when the parent might be under stress. Easier to spend less time with them.