Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 11:31 am

Fnord wrote:
Right now, I have a growing concern that someone in authority will declare that the shooter had an autism spectrum disorder, even though he didn't fit whatever passes for the current "Typical Aspie Profile".

Yep, that reminds me of the autism equivalent of Godwin's law.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 11:32 am

Fnord wrote:
Right now, I have a growing concern that someone in authority will declare that the shooter had an autism spectrum disorder, even though he didn't fit whatever passes for the current "Typical Aspie Profile".

I have that fear every time there is mass killing. That is why I follow and follow up on these stories more closely then I would otherwise.

So far it is looking like a breakdown triggered by divorce, finding his father dead and so on. No mention of autism. We will see what today and the future brings.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:33 pm

What is Known About the Shooter, So Far

The suspect's name is Nathaniel Berhow.  He had just turned 16 years old that very same day.

He used a .45-caliber pistol, which was recovered at the scene.  The weapon was out of bullets.  There were other firearms found in the Valencia house where he lived with his mother, Mami Matasuura (he also has a sister named Samantha).  The suspect had knowledge and practical use of the weapon.  After shooting one student, he cleared a jam on the weapon and fired an additional four rounds at others, then one at himself.  He is currently listed in "grave" condition with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head.  There are unconfirmed reports that he is "brain-dead".

Nathaniel had a troubled home life.  His father, Mark Vincent Berhow, died in December 2017 from a heart attack, but a "history of chronic alcoholism" contributed to his death.  He had been arrested amid a domestic dispute with the boy's mother in 2015.  shortly before Mark Berhow died, Mami Berhow sued him for custody of their two children, Samantha and Nathaniel.  The father was a hunter, possessed firearms, and made his own bullets.  Nathaniel owned a key-chain with a hollow bullet for a fob.

Witnesses described Nathaniel as quiet, smart, somewhat introverted, and open with his close friends; that he wasn't bullied, had a girlfriend, and had been an active member of a local Boy Scout troop; that no one ever expected him to turn violent, and that there is no indication the boy acted on behalf of any group or ideology.

Berhow ran Track & Field for the school, and competed in the 800-meter and 1600-meter races while a sophomore.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:42 pm

Was he a Trump supporter?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:49 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Unknown. Let's not politicize this, alright?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 3:28 pm

Why did Santa Clarita shooter open fire? Detectives search for a motive

Quote:
Investigators are still trying to determine why a 16-year-old Saugus High School student allegedly opened fire in the campus quad Thursday, killing two classmates and injuring three others before turning the gun on himself.

However, authorities say that at this point, they do not believe the shooter targeted specific students.

A school surveillance camera recorded the violence, investigators said. The gunman apparently knew how many shots he had fired and reserved the final bullet for himself, Villanueva said.

It was all over too quickly for anyone to intervene, although law enforcement was on the scene within minutes.

Friends and neighbors were stunned, saying the teen suspected in the shooting showed no signs of aggression. He ran junior varsity cross-country and helped younger members in his Boy Scout troop.

“He would have fun with the team and was a good kid,” 11th-grader Aidan Soto said. “The younger Scouts really looked up to him. He was there when they needed him with anything. I’m bewildered and looking for answers.”

Brooke Risley, a 16-year-old junior at Saugus High, has known the teen since elementary school. Last year, the two were together in a group for their engineering class and grew to become close friends.

“He was very smart and really good at history,” she said.

In AP European history class, she said, he would help her study and would often get the highest test scores in the class. She said the teen often planned Boy Scout trips during their free time in class last year.

“He was pretty funny too,” she said. “He had a higher-level type of humor that often I couldn’t even get the joke cause it was above my head.”

When word began to spread, a friend reached out and let her know. In shock, she began texting a mutual friend.

“Please tell me it’s not Nathaniel,” she said.

“I heard that too,” he responded. “I don’t want to believe it.”

A senior in their class last year reached out to her Friday, asking whether it was the same Nathaniel who was on their group project “because he couldn’t believe he would do this,” Risley said.

“Everyone who has heard about him being the shooter has said this wasn’t typically him,” she said. “All those who know him are really wondering what the motive was.”

Public records and a high-ranking law enforcement source indicated signs of trouble at home.

His family life in Santa Clarita was upended by his father’s sudden death in December 2017, acquaintances said. More recently, a source told The Times that the boy — a high academic achiever — was having problems with his girlfriend, who was his emotional anchor.

The teen’s father, Mark Berhow, was arrested for driving under the influence in 2013 and 2015 and pleaded no contest twice. The second time, he was sentenced to 45 days in jail and five years’ probation.

According to jail records, he was also booked in 2015 on suspicion of attempted battery of a spouse. The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office declined to file charges in that case, citing insufficient evidence.

A judge granted physical custody of the boy to his mother in August 2016, even though both parents still appeared to live in the family’s small ranch home on Sycamore Creek Drive.

“He would tell me that he missed his father and that he loved him,” said neighbor Jared Axen, 33.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 15 Nov 2019, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 4:05 pm

So he wanted to kill himself, but for some reason decided he should take some others with him to.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
Witnesses described Nathaniel as quiet, smart, somewhat introverted, and open with his close friends; that he wasn't bullied, had a girlfriend, and had been an active member of a local Boy Scout troop;[/color]

He was also quite good looking (not unlike the youthful Boston bomber). He probably does not fit the typical boy on the autism spectrum or Incel but there may be other reasons why young men and women decide to kill themselves...had he not had access to guns he could have quietly left the earth....

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:53 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Note the past tense. Alcohol was banned in the US, and all that did was tremendously increase the wealth and power of the criminal gangs that could keep supplying people with alcohol. It made for incredibly violent times.

London has strict rules around firearms, how are they doing on knife crime?

It's a false comparison. According to medical research access to moderate levels of alcohol increase longevity
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... qually-bad

Access to guns simply increases vicarious danger to the community if the gun owner has a mental breakdown. Guns do not make a person safer...
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... nce-shows/

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 6:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
It's a false comparison. According to medical research access to moderate levels of alcohol increase longevity

That may very well be, though I have seen some research that contests that idea. That's beside the point though, because my point was that banning guns is very unlikely to make them go away, especially the guns you'd want to go away.

cyberdad wrote:
Access to guns simply increases vicarious danger to the community if the gun owner has a mental breakdown. Guns do not make a person safer...

Safety is only one aspect of gun ownership. The shooters father was a hunter, was he not? Or are you trying to say that no one ever has a legitimate need for a gun?

cyberdad wrote:
had he not had access to guns he could have quietly left the earth....

Do you suppose picking up a gun is what gave him the idea of killing other people before killing himself? If suicide was his objective, he could've just shot himself without shooting anyone else. And had he not had access to guns, there is no assurance whatsoever that he wouldn't have used a car, a bomb, poison, a knife, a 2x4 or any number of readily available options for someone out to kill people.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 9:07 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
That may very well be, though I have seen some research that contests that idea. That's beside the point though, because my point was that banning guns is very unlikely to make them go away, especially the guns you'd want to go away.

Reducing access only to those who need to handle weapons would be a start to increasing public safety

Wolfram87 wrote:
safety is only one aspect of gun ownership. The shooters father was a hunter, was he not? Or are you trying to say that no one ever has a legitimate need for a gun?

Granted, some people are recreational hunters but that hardly makes them automatically eligible, people with a history of violence or aggression (or members of hate groups) should be not eligible.

Wolfram87 wrote:
Do you suppose picking up a gun is what gave him the idea of killing other people before killing himself? If suicide was his objective, he could've just shot himself without shooting anyone else. And had he not had access to guns, there is no assurance whatsoever that he wouldn't have used a car, a bomb, poison, a knife, a 2x4 or any number of readily available options for someone out to kill people.

I'm not suggesting there's not other ways to kill people but it takes a bit of effort to drive a car or truck into a crowd or to knife somebody to death and there's a good chance you will be caught which is a deterrent.

With guns often killers think they can conceal a weapon and kill then slip away into the darkness.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 6:49 am

You suggested that it was the gun that gave him the intent to kill others before himself. I posited that, for whatever reason, the intent was there before he picked up a gun, and had the gun been unavailable I'm not convinced "but that's more effort" would've been enough to cancel his plans. And I have a feeling that "slipping away into the darkness" wasn't part of his plan, here.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 7:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Note the past tense. Alcohol was banned in the US, and all that did was tremendously increase the wealth and power of the criminal gangs that could keep supplying people with alcohol. It made for incredibly violent times.

London has strict rules around firearms, how are they doing on knife crime?

Except the 500-3million people saved by guns every year.
Also California has the strictest gun laws in the nation yet the most mass shootings and lots of murder and crime. Seems it’s not working for them and perhaps just making California more violent.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 7:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Unknown. Let's not politicize this, alright?

It’s already political

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 7:32 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
You suggested that it was the gun that gave him the intent to kill others before himself. I posited that, for whatever reason, the intent was there before he picked up a gun, and had the gun been unavailable I'm not convinced "but that's more effort" would've been enough to cancel his plans. And I have a feeling that "slipping away into the darkness" wasn't part of his plan, here.

Anti gun people will never accept gun control won’t and doesn’t work and blame the gun.
If not for guns people would never kill each other. Before guns people didn’t kill each other we lived in a utopia, then some evil person invented guns.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 8:19 pm

sly279 wrote:
Except the 500-3million people saved by guns every year.

Is this the police? I have no problems with law enforcement being armed. Do you have evidence that arming civilians saves lives?