Page 3 of 11 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 1:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
I don't know why, Pete Buttigeig appeals to me, surely he can reconcile with African Americans, if he succeeds he would be a good candidate.

I like him, too, especially as he's served his country, speaks multiple languages, and is a Rhodes Scholar.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 1:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I don't know why, Pete Buttigeig appeals to me, surely he can reconcile with African Americans, if he succeeds he would be a good candidate.

I like him, too, especially as he's served his country, speaks multiple languages, and is a Rhodes Scholar.

He sounds light years ahead of the current POTUS

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 2:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

He sounds light years ahead of the current POTUS

Untold light years accumulating into centuries!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 5:27 am

cyberdad wrote:

There is still a huge prejudice against homosexuality within the African American communities. Reconcile that, individuals like Mr. Buttigeig will stand a better chance.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 8:08 am

Away from the racism and fantasy world where people see voters via skin colour. The guy has no policies. He's an open corporate shill and a war mongering racist.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 8:21 am

JohnPowell wrote:
Away from the racism and fantasy world where people see voters via skin colour. The guy has no policies. He's an open corporate shill and a war mongering racist.

That may well be true, but it's common knowledge that blacks still ostracize black homosexuals. It is very difficult for black men who are homosexual to find acceptance within their own families, even. So, call it fantasy if you like. I don't know about the lesbians who are black, but I've watched several heartbreaking interviews with gay, black men. As a rule, black men especially despise gay men. Add the fact that Buttigeig is an openly gay, white politician and it's not a stretch to see why he's not popular with the AA demographic.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 11:50 am

I'm afraid despite the mainstream narrative, not everyone subscribes to identity politics. That is another reason Clinton lost. Trump was talking about "America" where as Clinton was just fawning over celebrities and talking in identity politics language.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 11:57 am

JohnPowell wrote:
I'm afraid despite the mainstream narrative, not everyone subscribes to identity politics. That is another reason Clinton lost. Trump was talking about "America" where as Clinton was just fawning over celebrities and talking in identity politics language.
The trouble with Trump is that while he won by talking about "America", he has since turned his victory into his own political identity -- he has turned to identity politics in a vain attempt to retain and increase his personal influence.

As for the Clintons, they made such a farce out of identity politics that the entire concept is now a sick parody of itself.

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 3:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
The trouble with Trump is that while he won by talking about "America", he has since turned his victory into his own political identity -- he has turned to identity politics in a vain attempt to retain and increase his personal influence.

As for the Clintons, they made such a farce out of identity politics that the entire concept is now a sick parody of itself.

On top of that, Trump definitely courted white identitarians while using coded and not so coded language against Latinos, blacks, and Middle Easterners.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 4:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

It's mainly been a reaction to the hysteria against him and the liberal establishment not accepting the result. They've made him worse.

Wish that was true.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 4:55 pm

I will give Buttegieg more consideration, if Amy Klobuchar drops out. Is Mayor Pete more of a moderate, or more of a Sanders/Warren-type?

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 4:58 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I will give Buttegieg more consideration, if Amy Klobuchar drops out. Is Mayor Pete more of a moderate, or more of a Sanders/Warren-type?

He's a corrupt war monger with no policies. So yeah he's a 'moderate'.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 10:10 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

He's more of a moderate. His signature policy proposal so far is "Medicare for all who want it" which is in contrast to "Medicare for all." The difference being anyone who wants Medicare can buy into it under his plan, whereas under Warren/Sanders other insurance is abolished.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 10:29 pm

Antrax wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

He's more of a moderate. His signature policy proposal so far is "Medicare for all who want it" which is in contrast to "Medicare for all." The difference being anyone who wants Medicare can buy into it under his plan, whereas under Warren/Sanders other insurance is abolished.

I believe medicare only for those who want it was the initial idea behind Obamacare. It of course did not work out that way and instead the working class got stuck with compulsory high premium high deductible low coverage health insurance.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 12:04 am

EzraS wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I believe medicare only for those who want it was the initial idea behind Obamacare. It of course did not work out that way and instead the working class got stuck with compulsory high premium high deductible low coverage health insurance.

Yup, and no thanks to Republicans, who have so far failed to make any proposal. Even though the Democrats in 2010 were passing what was essentially Romneycare and a Heritage Foundation plan, the Republicans almost unanimously opposed it. And they responded to calls for universal health care by becoming super paranoid and talking about how the left wants to control everything and we should do everything to stop the left. Never mind the people who died because they couldn't get treatment for their cancer, or the people stuck with massive medical bills because they had to go to the emergency room for some tylenol. Never mind proposing a viable plan of their own. Destroying the left must take precedence over everything else in their view, no matter how much things go to hell.