"OK Boomer" may become a Fox TV show

Page 6 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2019, 9:58 pm

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 7:31 pm

I think you two, kraftie and lovenothate, are onto something.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 7:42 pm

I do wish there was a dave ramsey type show geared towards those w ASDs.

Brisienna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2019, 9:37 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:

I'm trying to build one for people working from disadvantaged situations - not just for ASDs exclusively, but that's definitely one of the targets. Dave Ramsey is actually one of the role models I've been studying for it.

I'm sure I'm not the best person for such a job, but I haven't seen anyone else doing it so I figure not-the-best is still better than nothing at all.

If you want to help out, your input would be very welcome. Even just some feedback on how effective explanations and details are for being able to put things in actual, useful practice would be beneficial.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 9:54 pm

Brisienna wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

I'm trying to build one for people working from disadvantaged situations - not just for ASDs exclusively, but that's definitely one of the targets. Dave Ramsey is actually one of the role models I've been studying for it.

I'm sure I'm not the best person for such a job, but I haven't seen anyone else doing it so I figure not-the-best is still better than nothing at all.

If you want to help out, your input would be very welcome. Even just some feedback on how effective explanations and details are for being able to put things in actual, useful practice would be beneficial.

Awesome! I'm glad you are doing that. For me to give you input then you would have to ask some questions of me. Just tell me what you need.

Brisienna

28 Nov 2019, 10:20 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Brisienna wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

Awesome! I'm glad you are doing that. For me to give you input then you would have to ask some questions of me. Just tell me what you need.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's the site I mention in my More Details thread in the Members Only area. (Not ready to post about it in the publicly viewable areas yet)

I'll be taking some time off for the holidays for family things, but will be working full-time (and probably over-time) on it come January, so I can contact you then for your thoughts. Or you can just check it out whenever and message me whatever comes to mind as any feedback at all is useful compared to just guessing in the dark what people most need and how they can best receive/use it.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 12:52 am

Brisienna wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Brisienna wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement! It's the site I mention in my More Details thread in the Members Only area. (Not ready to post about it in the publicly viewable areas yet)

I'll be taking some time off for the holidays for family things, but will be working full-time (and probably over-time) on it come January, so I can contact you then for your thoughts. Or you can just check it out whenever and message me whatever comes to mind as any feedback at all is useful compared to just guessing in the dark what people most need and how they can best receive/use it.

Here is one issue I have. When it comes to getting a job or career like going into pest control, IT, etc, etc. Nothing is laid out as to what one is supposed to do in step by step, specific, and concrete terms. And, when I try to read stuff online it's like reading from the handbook of the recently deceased from the movie BeetleJuice.

Another thing, what is considered a reasonable expectation of the real world? One thing I've been told by conservative types is I have unreasonable expectations of the real world. When I call them to account and ask them what reasonable expectations one should have they will not answer at all?

Why does my attitude and how I feel about myself matter when it comes to employment?

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 4:01 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Here is one issue I have. When it comes to getting a job or career like going into pest control, IT, etc, etc. Nothing is laid out as to what one is supposed to do in step by step, specific, and concrete terms. And, when I try to read stuff online it's like reading from the handbook of the recently deceased from the movie BeetleJuice. ...

Ha!

See, when the Internet just started, it was easy to find useful information. Today, the noise-to-signal ratio has increased ten-thousandfold. Instant gratification everywhere. Real information of substance? Not so much. I mean, if you look at the sad state of affair, you kind of start to understand why the boomers complain about the millennials.

There are plenty of parrots, all too many of them. People don't digest what they read. They merely mimic what other people say. No effort is put into true understanding.

Furthermore, it is not rewarding anymore, to put out decent explanations out there. Your voice is drowned by the millions of shallow opinion articles out there. Real news has no value anymore, next to the millions of fake news articles.

It surely bothers the heck out of me. For instance, can anybody explain how superconductivity works? How laser works? How superfluidity works? Can anybody explain what consciousness is? Can anybody explain why the earth's magnetic polarity would flip, from time to time?

None of these are new stuff. You would think that after decades and decades, our ability to explain things would get better and better. Nope. What we have now are a gazillion of parrots, repeating half-baked, undigested comments from other people. Zero understanding. You think Wikipedia would provide you with useful information? Nahh... they are written by parrots. Zero real understanding about the subject matter. The funny thing is, people think that understanding or explaining all those topics is beyond their reach. Nope. It doesn't require more than understanding how water becomes ice, or how to separate a letter from its envelope, or a book from its index card.

You know what is going on? What is causing all this mess? The keyword is: creativity. Lack of creativity. People have become lazy with their brains.

Creativity is the one single most important skill to survive in the AI / Robotic era, to survive inside the Technological Singularity. Yet, I look around, and I see only desert. Everyone is chasing after instant gratification. People continue to spend their entire life talking about Trump and politics.

In the old days we had people like Richard Feynman that would put in some time to make knowledge accessible to more people. Nowadays all we have are parrots, gazillions of them.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 6:03 am

eikonabridge wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Here is one issue I have. When it comes to getting a job or career like going into pest control, IT, etc, etc. Nothing is laid out as to what one is supposed to do in step by step, specific, and concrete terms. And, when I try to read stuff online it's like reading from the handbook of the recently deceased from the movie BeetleJuice. ...

Ha!

See, when the Internet just started, it was easy to find useful information. Today, the noise-to-signal ratio has increased ten-thousandfold. Instant gratification everywhere. Real information of substance? Not so much. I mean, if you look at the sad state of affair, you kind of start to understand why the boomers complain about the millennials.

There are plenty of parrots, all too many of them. People don't digest what they read. They merely mimic what other people say. No effort is put into true understanding.

Furthermore, it is not rewarding anymore, to put out decent explanations out there. Your voice is drowned by the millions of shallow opinion articles out there. Real news has no value anymore, next to the millions of fake news articles.

It surely bothers the heck out of me. For instance, can anybody explain how superconductivity works? How laser works? How superfluidity works? Can anybody explain what consciousness is? Can anybody explain why the earth's magnetic polarity would flip, from time to time?

None of these are new stuff. You would think that after decades and decades, our ability to explain things would get better and better. Nope. What we have now are a gazillion of parrots, repeating half-baked, undigested comments from other people. Zero understanding. You think Wikipedia would provide you with useful information? Nahh... they are written by parrots. Zero real understanding about the subject matter. The funny thing is, people think that understanding or explaining all those topics is beyond their reach. Nope. It doesn't require more than understanding how water becomes ice, or how to separate a letter from its envelope, or a book from its index card.

You know what is going on? What is causing all this mess? The keyword is: creativity. Lack of creativity. People have become lazy with their brains.

Creativity is the one single most important skill to survive in the AI / Robotic era, to survive inside the Technological Singularity. Yet, I look around, and I see only desert. Everyone is chasing after instant gratification. People continue to spend their entire life talking about Trump and politics.

In the old days we had people like Richard Feynman that would put in some time to make knowledge accessible to more people. Nowadays all we have are parrots, gazillions of them.

I think I understand what you're saying. Honestly, I don't think politics will solve our issues. I think nano-tech and understanding the human brain is our key. Imagine being able to share each other's experiences over an empathy network using nano-tech.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 12:28 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Do you have a link to what you watch?

https://www.youtube.com/user/DaveRamseyShow/videos

This boomer will set your straight about your questions.

I watched this and I'm impressed with what he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5GXzQqBgKY

This is what I liked.

He laid out a specific plan.

And, he broke out the math.

This is very good.

Now....

a. Shouldn't they have been taught things like this when they were younger. If the Millenials are the way they are today then how did they get to be that way? My answer is that they wasn't taught s**t and given all sorts of overly-simplistic slogans and advice like "be yourself", "you can do anything you set your mind to", etc. The boomers were so focused on self-esteem (I agree with conservatives on the BS self-esteem movement) and academics that they didn't really teach them these other important things.

Now, you have them in classrooms with teachers and even some parents do this. "You don't want to work at McDonalds. Keep making F's and you will." Now, these younger gens associate working at McDonalds and other places like that as being considered dumb and ret*d. The boomers inadvertently presented working at McDonalds us for misfits just like riding the short bus is for those who are considered disabled and dumb.

They were conditioned by well meaning adults in their lives to see working at McDonalds as beneath them.

The millienial generation may suck but is it really their fault? Should we heap the whole pie of responsibility upon them? For a world they're ill prepared for? Or are the boomers the one who need to look in the mirrors themselves? Did the millenials fail or was it the boomers who failed? Failed to teach and raise properly and only giving meaningless slogans.

b. What is the cost of an apartment? If the cheapest apartment is out of her price range then is his plan realistic?

c. Is she sure she will make $40,000? How does she know her figure is accurate?

Sorry, but I don't believe my generation "sucks" anymore than any other generation.

At this point, I'll happily admit to being an advacado-eating, Applebee-killing, coffee-drinking Millennial.

I never said that your gen sucks.

The point that I am making is people should've been taught what they needed to know to make the best possible decisions for their lives including whether to go to college or not and if so what are the best majors. And, how to manage one's money, etc, etc. To claim that millennials are narcissistic and entitled and heap the whole personal responsibility pie upon them to me is unreasonable. Millennials came from somewhere. They didn't exist in a vaccum.

I'm an Xiennal or part of the Oregon Trail generation and the Hope scholarship existed in my state. I'm glad for that but when I went to college I wasn't told what I needed to do to be successful in the IT field especially when every job requires multi skills requiring years of experiencing. I didn't realize until it was to late so many issues and neither me or my boomer parents could predict the Tech bubble busting. Before I went to college I didn't know about things like internships and even when I was in college I only still had a partial understanding of what an internship was and that we were expected to do them outside of our classes. And, we were expected to get certs as well that costed 100s to 1000s of dollars.

And, this is just skimming the surface. But, conservatives would say I should've asked. But, how could I ask if I didn't know what I didn't know and what I thought I knew and what everyone told me was the full scope.

At least I have no student loan debt. Thank God I bit the bullet on that.

But, going in with what I know today if I got a do over I would probably not go into IT since it seems to be an overly saturated field anyway. I probably would've chosen a different major or may have stayed as a courtesy clerk at Kroger and would've seen if I could claim SSDI earlier. I definetly would not go to a blue collar or trade school b/c it requires one to work with one's hand and I have motor coordination problems.

You : "The millienial generation may suck but is it really their fault?"

That's exactly my point.

And, I don't think it is the boomers fault either. When certain individual boomers raised their children they were under a set of assumptions themselves and these assumptions did seem reasonable at the time.

So, I do think the millineal generation is being unfair as well to the boomers.

I think the whole entire system and the mechanism itself is to blame if we're going to assign blame.

In other words what has happened is the car has a flat tire and the train has ran off the tracks.

One group can't take all the work to fix it. There are various aspects to it which can only be fixed by certain groups. Parents need to get off the idea that your child can do anything they set their mind to. Instead they need to do a SWOT analysis and cost benefit analysis. Dave Ramsey, the guy LoveNotHate has introduced, has gotten the ball rolling already.

Before a student is loaned a college loan they need to be made to come up with a comprehensive proposal on how they plan to pay it back.

Students need to quit treating college as party central.

Get rid of the social justice warrior BS as well. Be prepared to read material that is controversial to you.

Schools, get the f**k out of the career counseling business and the self-esteem business. You suck at it. Stick to what you're best at and that is specific academics. Have parents, guardians handle that s**t.

Parents, sit down with your child and make a plan for the summer vacations your children get. Don't let them linger. Have them try various potential careers out and do some internships and job shadowing. And, if you can start a family business.

Agreed!

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2019, 1:08 pm

OK, Boomer: “You’re Too Old to Understand” - Psychology Today

Quote:

You don’t understand,” 22-year-old Nancy* said to me after the financial crash of 2008. “You’re from a different generation. I know you’re trying, but you don’t get it. Your generation grew up in a much more secure time. These days, nothing is secure. Everything is frightening. The world is frightening.”

Her words have been echoed by numerous clients recently, and in the past week, articles about the meme “OK Boomer” have clarified some of the current conflict between generations. An article in the Washington Post described a new book about the subject by Jill Filipovic. And Aja Romano, writing for VOX, stated, “OK boomer isn’t just about the past. It’s about our apocalyptic future.”

But it’s also about our psychological and emotional well-being. Nancy had come to therapy for help with her anxiety, which she often covered with contempt and anger, and she was turning those feelings on me. I had tried to explain that I did understand. I had grown up with race and anti-war demonstrations, the threat of nuclear war, and an overwhelming sense that the world was turning upside down.

“Oh, now you sound just like my parents,” she said contemptuously. “They don’t get it at all. And neither do you.”

“I’m thinking I should go work with another therapist,” Nancy said. “Someone closer to my age. Someone who would understand the way the world works right now.”

A big part of my job as a psychotherapist is to understand my clients, so the idea that I simply could not understand her because of my age was and is quite disturbing to me. There are, of course, some people I don’t understand, no matter how hard we both try. When that does happen, and once we are clear that we are not a good match, I try to help them find another therapist who will meet their needs. But it seemed to me that Nancy’s need to believe that I could not understand her was psychologically meaningful. I wondered if it was possible to reach through her anger to get to that underlying meaning. And I hoped that if I could do so, I could also help with her anxiety.

I was thinking about this conversation with Nancy when I read Romano's description of "OK Boomer" this week.

And I was thinking about Nancy again recently as clients spoke about the difficulties of family visits in which political differences often split along generational divides.

“I can’t talk with any of my relatives about anything meaningful,” said one man in his thirties. “The idea that I might not feel like they do about the current administration or about the environment is really not up for discussion. They know how things are, or so they think, and they’re not about to consider anything else.”

A woman told me, “My mothers are both lesbians, but they can’t talk about my being queer. It’s just not in their vocabulary. It makes them crazy. How can that be?”

The irony is that for some of us — full disclosure, in case you haven't already figured it out: I am a certified baby boomer — who participated in race and antiwar marches, and the women’s movement of the 1970’s, these words sound remarkably similar to the rally cry we used when we were young rebels: "Don’t trust anyone over thirty!” And the response of today’s boomers is almost identical to that of our parents’ generation’s, captured by the oft-repeated phrase from a song in the musical “Bye Bye Birdie": “What’s the matter with kids today?”

But the greater tragedy is that so many people, with so many different perspectives, are being lumped together under the heading of a particular generation. As a psychotherapist, I see baby boomers whose politics are as liberal as any gen Z member's, and millennials more conservative than any of my friends. And I see the opposite as well.

To make things worse, the generalizations and rigidity of beliefs hide the fact that so many of these individuals are hurting no matter their age, politics, or finances. As Romano notes, “It’s important to understand that what really lies behind the meme is increasing economic, environmental, and social anxiety, and the feeling that baby boomers are leaving younger generations to clean up their mess.” But boomers are frightened as well, and we don’t have anyone to blame anymore – we didn’t clean up our parents’ generation’s mess, and we’re afraid not just that our children won’t clean up ours, but that they won’t take care of us as we get too old to do anything about it for ourselves.

Is there any hope that we might work together to make a different outcome? Can we heal the injuries we are inflicting on one another? Can we stop the destruction, as younger generations are crying out for us to do? Or is this simply one more iteration of the life cycle, with generations misunderstanding one another because, as Freud suggested, it’s in the nature of the beast?

I like to think that we have a chance to move forward in a more constructive way, those of us in the same generations who have significant conflicts among ourselves, as well as the different generations. And although I realize that it is hard to empathize with or offer understanding to people whose rhetoric is filled with hate and criticism, I believe that recognizing underlying meaning is a first step to finding solutions.

This is, of course, my psychotherapist self speaking, but as psychoanalyst Heinz Kohut put it, “the capacity to think and feel oneself into the inner life of another person," which he called empathy, is one of the greatest healing techniques of all. Such empathy does not mean always agreeing with or accepting the validity of the other’s belief system. It is, in fact, often the starting place for genuine disagreement.

Empathy was where Nancy and I ultimately began to get together. When I finally realized that defending myself to her was not helping, I asked her to tell me more about her experiences. What didn’t I understand? Could she explain it to me? Could she try to help me understand?

Those questions were the first steps to finding ways to work with Nancy’s anxiety and what turned out to be an underlying depression. Ten years later, she has far less anxiety and many tools for managing the feelings when they do emerge. We realized that her anger was a reaction to her sense of hopelessness and helplessness. Today she has much more of a sense of her own strengths and capacity to do things – what therapists call a sense of agency. She feels more connected to her parents, although she still gets irritated with them, and with me, when we fall into rigid and unthinking patterns – which we do. But she is able to discuss the reason for her irritation, and she is also able to acknowledge her own rigidities and prejudices. Nancy has grown more empathic and less critical during this time. And so have her parents and I.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman