Ohio bill says it's murder if doctors don't "reimplant ectop

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 1:27 pm

In Ohio, there is a bill in the legislature that would require doctors to "reimplant an ectopic pregnancy" or the woman and the doctors would be charged with "abortion murder", which carries a potential life sentence. However, obstetricians and gynecologists say such a procedure is impossible, and extremely dangerous to the life of the mother to attempt.

Quote:
Ohio’s move on ectopic pregnancies – where an embryo implants on the mother’s fallopian tube rather than her uterus rendering the pregnancy unviable – is one of the most extreme bills to date.

“I don’t believe I’m typing this again but, that’s impossible,” wrote Ohio obstetrician and gynecologist Dr David Hackney on Twitter. “We’ll all be going to jail,” he said.

An ectopic pregnancy is a life-threatening condition, which can kill a woman if the embryonic tissue grows unchecked.

In addition to ordering doctors to do the impossible or face criminal charges, House Bill 413 bans abortion outright and defines a fertilized egg as an “unborn child”.

It also appears to punish doctors, women and children as young as 13 with “abortion murder” if they “perform or have an abortion”. This crime is punishable by life in prison. Another new crime, “aggravated abortion murder”, is punishable by death, according to the bill.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -pregnancy

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 1:49 pm

Would this even be a medical possibility, reimplanting ectopic pregnancies? Seems dangerous to everybody.

Would you get a life sentence for killing someone already walking & talking in Ohio? Or is it just for abortion? Look, I'm diehard pro-life to the point where the only birth control I agree with is NFP (not rhythm. Jazz is a powerful, um, aphrodisiac, lol) and even I think the Ohio legislature may have gone too far, to the point where they are going to end up hurting whole families. Besides, ectopic pregnancies are accidents! You can't commit murder by accident...it's not how murder works. That's always a decision. This is a really scary misunderstanding of female anatomy and child development.

In Catholic thought--ends do not justify the means. Evil cannot be done that good may come of it. In the case of ectopic pregnancies, you remove that section of the tube because it is blocked & can go septic, killing the woman. There happens to be a kid in there blocking it. Tough stuff. Nobody wills that the child dies, but both of them will die if they don't do something.

And the fetus can actually receive Baptism if there is someone present with water. (weird Catholic trivia. I like bizarre stuff like that; it's like having a family ghost story.)

Then again--after watching Ohioans driving automobiles I'm not sure they ever gave a thought to human life.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 2:02 pm

I wonder how long it will be before obgyn doctors all pull together and collectively refuse to examine anyone who holds an elected office position in response to many of these extreme abortion laws starting to pass which threaten their practices.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 2:34 pm

This shows why civilised and intelligent people regards many republicans as barbarians .

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 7:54 pm

Abortion bans are probably gateways to trying to ban other things considered "un-Christian".

This is why I am trying to relocate to Seattle post-haste. Washington State would never do these things.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 8:02 pm

This is what happens when legislators (lawyers, business execs, etc) attempt to legislate medical care. And science in general for that matter.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 8:47 pm

There is no way this can pass, but even so I am glad not to live in Ohio if this is the kind of stuff being proposed.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 9:12 pm

Moderate and “Rockefeller” Republicans can’t get their foot in the door in the red states, let alone Democrats. So the rightward trek continues unabated.

And as long as conservatives in the South, Heartland, and places like Utah and Idaho stay paranoid about their “guns being taken away”, “not being allowed to pray in public”, and being “raped by Mexicans”, there is no end to it.

Before we know it, they’ll try to bring back Prohibition and slavery.

Since religious people want laws that tell other people how to live, maybe we should return the favor: Fornication should be mandatory, Bible and Quran verses that say that homosexuality is a sin should be classified as hate speech, and people should be forced to go to church or mosque drunk, stoned and naked.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!