700,000 Americans Citizens May Lose Food Stamp Benefits

Page 3 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

04 Dec 2019, 9:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Then if you know the people who are doing this, turn them in!


What does knowing those people have to do with anything? Are you implying if one doesn't actually know such people they are just a myth?

I don't actually know any pickpockets either. Or drug dealers. Or child molesters etc.



beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,199

04 Dec 2019, 9:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Then if you know the people who are doing this, turn them in!


Exactly.

I suspect, though, that the people who keep ranting about people cheating the system are often confusing their own disapproval of people on food stamps with those people cheating the system (can’t these bums just work harder?). Basically, they get a gut feeling about the person collecting the food stamps and just sorta run with it.


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

04 Dec 2019, 10:37 pm

It's definitely not politically correct to speak of such being a reality. Doing so means there must be something wrong with you.



beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,199

04 Dec 2019, 11:25 pm

EzraS wrote:
It's definitely not politically correct to speak of such being a reality. Doing so means there must be something wrong with you.


No, it's because it's wrong, and baseless. If anything, food stamp fraud by recipients has become much less common over the years, largely thanks to the reasons Fnord pointed out. So why do you guys keep harping on such baseless things?

And in fact, I think the discussion about fraud here is irrelevant, because I don't see where that was given as a justification for the Trump Administration's action. So why are you guys bringing it up?


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


the_real_roxanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 19 Nov 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 43
Location: Queens, NY

04 Dec 2019, 11:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to know people who sold their food stamps for cash.



Toa MamaSan?



the_real_roxanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 19 Nov 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 43
Location: Queens, NY

04 Dec 2019, 11:48 pm

EzraS wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Does anyone actually know someone who is cheating the Food Stamp program?


No. I also don't actually know someone who burglarizes homes.

I do see young men in the 7 Eleven buying lots of over priced junk food with EBT cards.

Convenience stores like 7 Eleven have been required to sell real food like fruit and vegetables. But that's not what I see being bought. A lot of that kind of food probably ends up getting tossed out.




Don't you want companies that probably give lots of money to Republicans to get EBT or some tree-hungger organic sandal wearer safe space who probably supports the Resistance and watched CNN?
Trump gave those football players McDonslds and KFC what better recommendation is there :evil: ?



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

05 Dec 2019, 12:14 am

"The agency said that it found 2.9 million adults on the SNAP rolls were able-bodied and did not have dependents, and it said 2.1 million were not working".

So, 2.1 million people are perfectly fine, no dependents, and FREE LOAD ?

I wonder how many are millionaires living in million dollar homes.

How Millionaires Collect Food Stamps
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-millio ... 1516044026


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

05 Dec 2019, 12:50 am

beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
It's definitely not politically correct to speak of such being a reality. Doing so means there must be something wrong with you.


No, it's because it's wrong, and baseless. If anything, food stamp fraud by recipients has become much less common over the years, largely thanks to the reasons Fnord pointed out. So why do you guys keep harping on such baseless things?

And in fact, I think the discussion about fraud here is irrelevant, because I don't see where that was given as a justification for the Trump Administration's action. So why are you guys bringing it up?


Krafty is the one who brought fraud up:

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to know people who sold their food stamps for cash.


Does is he on your "you guys" list?

What's being done is cutting down on perpetual food stamp issuing for those who should only be getting food stamps temporarily to tide them over. Which apparently liberal media wants to portray as the Trump administration trying to starve people to death.

The harsh reality of life is there are many people who commit fraud any way they can, along with committing theft and selling drugs and so on. They rip off the welfare system, the insurance system and the workman's comp system. Call in sick when they're not sick to get a paid day off etc.



beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,199

05 Dec 2019, 1:19 am

EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
It's definitely not politically correct to speak of such being a reality. Doing so means there must be something wrong with you.


No, it's because it's wrong, and baseless. If anything, food stamp fraud by recipients has become much less common over the years, largely thanks to the reasons Fnord pointed out. So why do you guys keep harping on such baseless things?

And in fact, I think the discussion about fraud here is irrelevant, because I don't see where that was given as a justification for the Trump Administration's action. So why are you guys bringing it up?


Krafty is the one who brought fraud up:

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to know people who sold their food stamps for cash.


Does is he on your "you guys" list?

What's being done is cutting down on perpetual food stamp issuing for those who should only be getting food stamps temporarily to tide them over. Which apparently liberal media wants to portray as the Trump administration trying to starve people to death.

The harsh reality of life is there are many people who commit fraud any way they can, along with committing theft and selling drugs and so on. They rip off the welfare system, the insurance system and the workman's comp system. Call in sick when they're not sick to get a paid day off etc.


No he wasn't, go back and read the thread. It was Fnord who brought it up, probably because he saw that was where the conversation was headed.


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,199

05 Dec 2019, 1:28 am

Looking at the details here, it looks like the Trump Administration is targeting people it considers to be slackers:

Quote:
Under current rules, work-eligible able-bodied adults without dependents and between the ages of 18 and 49 can currently receive only three months of SNAP benefits in a three-year period if they don’t meet the 20-hour work requirement. But states with high unemployment rates or a demonstrable lack of sufficient jobs can waive those time limits.

The new rule imposes stricter criteria that states must meet in order to issue waivers.

The new plan will strip states’ ability to issue waivers unless a city or county has an unemployment rate of 6% or higher. The waivers will be good for one year and will require the governor to support the request.


https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/trum ... quirements

Their belief seems to be that if you take their food away, you will make them desperate enough to go out and find a job, and people always having a job and earning money themselves is assumed to always be a good thing.

One concern about this for me is that this would give employers greater leverage over low-income workers and force them into situations where they do not have time to follow other pursuits that they may find more beneficial. It may force people facing discrimination or who have low job skills to have to settle for a crappy low-paying job. They may also have undiagnosed conditions like depression that interfere with their ability to get a job, but would not be able to get the disability exception because it's undiagnosed.

Those are just some problems with the change that I can think of.


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,049
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

05 Dec 2019, 1:41 am

Fnord wrote:
Does anyone actually know someone who is cheating the Food Stamp program?


I have seen it, and what people usually do if they are doing that is they sell their ebt, like they give someone their card to get food and that person pays them. So basically a person exchanges their ebt benefits for cash with someone, and then they use the cash for whatever. That would be ebt fraud.

Its not things like the thing I heard about of someone buying lobster with food stamps and being accused of fraud by some 'concerned citizen' I mean news to people you are perfectly allowed to buy lobster and other seafood with your ebt, I have bought shrimp quite a few times and its perfectly legal. You cant get like stuff to order from the deli, not sure about the deli meats usally my boyfriend has just paid for those, and you cannot get products classified as supplements. but any bought food items that are not like cooked and served to you like an order of fried chicken at the deli or a restaurant are free game if you have ebt and are in a store that accepts it, just have to budget if you want it to last longer.


_________________
Lucy in the sky with Diamonds.


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

05 Dec 2019, 2:32 am

beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
It's definitely not politically correct to speak of such being a reality. Doing so means there must be something wrong with you.


No, it's because it's wrong, and baseless. If anything, food stamp fraud by recipients has become much less common over the years, largely thanks to the reasons Fnord pointed out. So why do you guys keep harping on such baseless things?

And in fact, I think the discussion about fraud here is irrelevant, because I don't see where that was given as a justification for the Trump Administration's action. So why are you guys bringing it up?


Krafty is the one who brought fraud up:

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to know people who sold their food stamps for cash.


Does is he on your "you guys" list?

What's being done is cutting down on perpetual food stamp issuing for those who should only be getting food stamps temporarily to tide them over. Which apparently liberal media wants to portray as the Trump administration trying to starve people to death.

The harsh reality of life is there are many people who commit fraud any way they can, along with committing theft and selling drugs and so on. They rip off the welfare system, the insurance system and the workman's comp system. Call in sick when they're not sick to get a paid day off etc.


No he wasn't, go back and read the thread. It was Fnord who brought it up, probably because he saw that was where the conversation was headed.


Right first Fnord and then Krafty. So next time you say "you guys" I'll know those are the guys you are talking about.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

05 Dec 2019, 2:45 am

beneficii wrote:
Looking at the details here, it looks like the Trump Administration is targeting people it considers to be slackers:

Quote:
Under current rules, work-eligible able-bodied adults without dependents and between the ages of 18 and 49 can currently receive only three months of SNAP benefits in a three-year period if they don’t meet the 20-hour work requirement. But states with high unemployment rates or a demonstrable lack of sufficient jobs can waive those time limits.

The new rule imposes stricter criteria that states must meet in order to issue waivers.

The new plan will strip states’ ability to issue waivers unless a city or county has an unemployment rate of 6% or higher. The waivers will be good for one year and will require the governor to support the request.


https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/trum ... quirements

Their belief seems to be that if you take their food away, you will make them desperate enough to go out and find a job, and people always having a job and earning money themselves is assumed to always be a good thing.

One concern about this for me is that this would give employers greater leverage over low-income workers and force them into situations where they do not have time to follow other pursuits that they may find more beneficial. It may force people facing discrimination or who have low job skills to have to settle for a crappy low-paying job. They may also have undiagnosed conditions like depression that interfere with their ability to get a job, but would not be able to get the disability exception because it's undiagnosed.

Those are just some problems with the change that I can think of.


Don't worry. This is will only be until a Democrat POTUS takes over in 2020. Then the floodgates will be opened to gush out lots of free stuff for eveyone. Even for those in the US illegally.



beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,199

05 Dec 2019, 3:01 am

EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Looking at the details here, it looks like the Trump Administration is targeting people it considers to be slackers:

Quote:
Under current rules, work-eligible able-bodied adults without dependents and between the ages of 18 and 49 can currently receive only three months of SNAP benefits in a three-year period if they don’t meet the 20-hour work requirement. But states with high unemployment rates or a demonstrable lack of sufficient jobs can waive those time limits.

The new rule imposes stricter criteria that states must meet in order to issue waivers.

The new plan will strip states’ ability to issue waivers unless a city or county has an unemployment rate of 6% or higher. The waivers will be good for one year and will require the governor to support the request.


https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/trum ... quirements

Their belief seems to be that if you take their food away, you will make them desperate enough to go out and find a job, and people always having a job and earning money themselves is assumed to always be a good thing.

One concern about this for me is that this would give employers greater leverage over low-income workers and force them into situations where they do not have time to follow other pursuits that they may find more beneficial. It may force people facing discrimination or who have low job skills to have to settle for a crappy low-paying job. They may also have undiagnosed conditions like depression that interfere with their ability to get a job, but would not be able to get the disability exception because it's undiagnosed.

Those are just some problems with the change that I can think of.


Don't worry. This is will only be until a Democrat POTUS takes over in 2020. Then the floodgates will be opened to gush out lots of free stuff for eveyone. Even for those in the US illegally.


You say that like it's a bad thing.


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

05 Dec 2019, 4:42 am

beneficii wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.


Thats because hard working people like my parents, and my aunts and uncles who are parents, will be the ones who end up paying for all that extra free stuff given to just about anyone who says 'gimme'. While all the millionaire democrat politicians pocket their share of the take. Lots of new taxes for my family to pat and generous salary raises for the millionaire dems.



Last edited by EzraS on 05 Dec 2019, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.