Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 6:52 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-w ... ?r=US&IR=T

Seems like an interesting concept. I particularly like the thought of these 'super-soldiers' having to assimilate into civilian life at some point. Could make for some interesting life stories..

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 7:39 pm

We’re also supposed to be 30 years away from controlled nuclear fusion, self-sustaining lunar colonies, and a cure for cancer ...

:roll: I’ll believe it when I see it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 7:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
We’re also supposed to be 30 years away from controlled nuclear fusion, self-sustaining lunar colonies, and a cure for cancer ...

:roll: I’ll believe it when I see it.

Ha, good point. It's wise to be cynical, I suppose.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 8:11 pm

So ...when Johnny comes marching home again he will no longer be the human person who he went to war as, but will be a real life version of the "Terminator" cyborg played Arnold Schwartznegger because he has lost all of his original limbs and other sundry body parts to enemy improvised weapons ...giving the army an excuse to replace said parts with robot replacement parts? Parts more powerful than the original parts? Gosh!

When Johnny comes marching home he wont fit in very well at Walmart ,but will make a good Robocop.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 12:54 am

Inevitable since cyborgs would be far superior in every regard to humans. Then of course scientists will invent nuclear resistant AI army bots that will basically take over the earth.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 7:42 am

As much as I'm a great fan of Sci-fi like Matrix, Ghost in the Shell, Terminator and the likes, I've always though combat cyborgs were a cool idea but seems to come with a slew of problems with rergards to good thinking. What is the benefit of making these enhancements irrevocably integrated with humans instead of, say, modular and have just the brain-machine interface installed in the person? That sort of thing will probably be fairly standard as technology progresses anyway. Installing permanently expensive military hardware into a presumably highly trained but in a mechanical context still exceedlingly frail human seems needlessly complicated.

And as far as mechanical limbs go, they're nice replacements for lost limbs, but you're going to have to replace a lot more than that before you'll get "super-strength".

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 10:51 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
And as far as mechanical limbs go, they're nice replacements for lost limbs, but you're going to have to replace a lot more than that before you'll get "super-strength".

This touches upon one of my special research projects: synthetic nerves. It would potentially give one the ability to “feel” with artificial limbs or any object connected to the body, such as a diving suit. Yes, there is a version that can allow one sense pressure, but I am wanting the full gambit including pain. If you cannot sense pain, it detracts from being able to know when the limb is damaged and needs repair. Said devices could be adapted to any surface that can be connected to the nervous system of the individual. I have three possible special materials that could lead to these synthetic nerves being created. But....

Unfortunately, humans can have evil intentions. I can also see how this can be used in torture devices that do not technically violate the Geneva convention, but should. One could cause pain without actually touching the person, just whatever they are connected to. It is this possibility that has stopped me from pushing forward more with this work. I wish I could control how it could be used in the future, but that simply cannot be done. It is a Pandora’s Box issue for me.

Tie the above project with developing nearly indestructible carbon computer chips would get you much closer to the super soldier project. Carbon-based computer chips do not get rejected by the human body as much as regular silicon-based ones do. The first carbon computer chips were built five years ago and have progressed at a much higher rate than expected. I am currently working on nanomaterials that can make them even stronger than that.