Massive uproar over prize winning pies

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 12:43 am

The annual Australia’s Best Pie & Pastie Competition, held by the Baking Association of Australia.is one of the cultural highlights of our country (the meat pie being our unofficial national dish)

This year's winning entrant has caused a huge uproar. Rolling Pin Pies & Cakes has taken the crown for a third year in a row, serving their customers Australia’s best pie.

In the past, the Victorian bakery has won the competition with polarising flavours like ‘Surf n Turf’ (chunky beef and prawns in a rich garlicky sauce) and ‘Breakfast’.

This year, however, they’ve created a mouth-watering combination featuring distinctive flavours to please the crowds. And, it’s vegetarian!!
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... 33959483d3

The Mushroom & Truffle pie was named Australia’s best pie at the 2022 Australia’s Best Pie & Pastie Competition, held by the Baking Association of Australia. It has a creamy mushroom filling which is infused with earthy tones of truffle, and is wrapped in a golden flaky crust.

All I can say is.....blashphemy!!

The Rolling Pin manager Nathan Williams says “I dislike mushrooms with a passion,” Mr Williams said with a laugh on Friday. “When I created this pie it definitely was not for me. :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 8:24 am

I want one. :cry:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 10:04 am

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 1:35 pm

I'm not too fond of mushrooms, either, so Mr. Williams didn't create the pie for me, either.

But it sounds edible. Given that it is a winner I'd give it the benefit of doubt and try one.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 4:19 pm

Okay...let me guess.

you're being SO coy that few on this autistic website get it? Is that it?

The long text you posted has nothing to do with your point, and its all in the picture. Right?

"Pie" is already crude school boy slang for ....

And the winning "pie" has a certain smutty look due to that dark stippled line down the middle thats causing the uproar?

Is that what you're talking about?

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 9:57 pm

^ I wouldn't take it so seriously. The news.com.au website has a habit of using clickbait language in their articles. The "controversy" is a vegetarian pie winning a national pie contest (meat pies are the norm here). No-one would really care about it though, and the pies themselves sound like they'd taste really nice. :heart: Black seeds are also commonly used to decorate pies, with various patterns – I should know, I used to work in a couple of bakeries here.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 10:52 pm

Is pizza a pie?
https://www.youtube.com/embed/iucMQPRSNDg?start=16&end=21

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:12 am

THEY LOOK LIKE VAGINAS whahaha.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Okay...let me guess.

you're being SO coy that few on this autistic website get it? Is that it?

The long text you posted has nothing to do with your point, and its all in the picture. Right?

"Pie" is already crude school boy slang for ....

And the winning "pie" has a certain smutty look due to that dark stippled line down the middle thats causing the uproar?

Is that what you're talking about?

Australia is steak country. So when we bake a pie it should have half a cow in it. That's what was controversial. But my use of the word was mean't to be low-key tongue in cheek (not to be taken seriously). Even country folk know these days urban "hipster" taste buds are setting trends so I would not be surprised if next year's prize winning pie will be vegan/tofu encased in rice flour.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 2:12 am

Americans think of "pies" as being desserts first, and being main courses of protein second.

Because nothin is more American than "apple pie" (or peach pie, or pecan pie).

Meat pies and shepherds pies, and chicken pot pies are considered an afterthought in piedom.

So if you mean a main course kinda pie that is the source of protein in the meal you gotta specify that its a "meat pie".

So....folks...

What he meant to say was "the winner of this year's meat pie contest was a 'vegetarian meat pie' which to many seems like a contradiction in terms and it is creating controversy".

Last edited by naturalplastic on 14 Jun 2022, 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 2:14 am

In America pies with meat in them are called pot pies.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 3:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
What he meant to say was "the winner of this year's meat pie contest was a 'vegetarian meat pie' which to many seems like a contradiction in terms and it is creating controversy".

That's what I said?

BTW I am a sucker for American pumpkin pie.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 7:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

That's what I said?

BTW I am a sucker for American pumpkin pie.

Ever had sweet potato pie?Yum.