Vermont principal gets prison for secretly recording girls

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 11:47 am

A former Vermont high school principal accused of secretly videotaping teenage girls has been sentenced to 5 years in prison.

Dean Stearns,57 was sentenced thursday for charges stemming from 2016 to late 2017,when he used camera's to film teenage girls in his home.Prosecutor's say the girls were living with him temporarily and others were visiting friends.

He was arrested after one of the camera's was discovered by one of the girls in the bathroom,Stearns apologized to the victim's at his sentencing hearing yesterday.

Unfortunaley Vermont has little violent crime,and there won't be much oportunity for poetic justice in a Vermont prison for this perverted ex principal.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 12:02 pm

Why should these girls accept his apology? Dude's disgusting.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 12:10 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Why should these girls accept his apology? Dude's disgusting.

Yeah, there seems to be a trend these days for people to apologise after doing something horrible. I don't see how it helps anybody, it would kind of make me more mad :?

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 12:47 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
A former Vermont high school principal accused of secretly videotaping teenage girls has been sentenced to 5 years in prison.

Dean Stearns,57 was sentenced thursday for charges stemming from 2016 to late 2017,when he used camera's to film teenage girls in his home.Prosecutor's say the girls were living with him temporarily and others were visiting friends.

He was arrested after one of the camera's was discovered by one of the girls in the bathroom,Stearns apologized to the victim's at his sentencing hearing yesterday.

Unfortunaley Vermont has little violent crime,and there won't be much oportunity for poetic justice in a Vermont prison for this perverted ex principal.

We send people to prison as punishment, not to be punished.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:23 pm

kokopelli wrote:

We send people to prison as punishment, not to be punished.[/quote]
That's true, but a lot of people view what goes on in prison as part of the punishment,however correctional systems are getting a lot of lawsuits over rapes and stabbings that happen in prison.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 8:49 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

That's true, but a lot of people view what goes on in prison as part of the punishment,however correctional systems are getting a lot of lawsuits over rapes and stabbings that happen in prison.

I strongly believe that allowing aggression by inmates is contrary to the goal of making them better when they are released than what they were going in. The prisons should do everything to stomp it out.

As far as I'm concerned, assault against anyone (a guard, another inmate, or someone else) by a prisoner should get them transferred to a maximum security prison, restart their sentences, add an additional five years to the sentences, and not permit any possibility of parole or other early release. And, of course, any further assault would extend the sentence by another five years and restart it from scratch. Possession of weapons or other contraband should do the same.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 1:14 am

kokopelli wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

I strongly believe that allowing aggression by inmates is contrary to the goal of making them better when they are released than what they were going in. The prisons should do everything to stomp it out.

As far as I'm concerned, assault against anyone (a guard, another inmate, or someone else) by a prisoner should get them transferred to a maximum security prison, restart their sentences, add an additional five years to the sentences, and not permit any possibility of parole or other early release. And, of course, any further assault would extend the sentence by another five years and restart it from scratch. Possession of weapons or other contraband should do the same.
All of the offenses you described usually result in a stint in solitary confinement and in the most serious cases additional charges,that could lead to more prison time.

The problem lies with lifer's that have nothing left to loose and don't care about the concequences.That is why those serving long sentences are sent to high security facilities.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 12:29 pm

I wonder how often someone does this sort of thing without getting caught (at least for an extended time period).

Years ago, someone put hidden cameras in the public pool's fitting rooms. Eventually, it was found out, people were sued, and we now have a dog park where the pool used to be.