Harry and Meghan to step back from royals duties

Page 2 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 8:40 am

After all Harry's mother went through, they both must have known what they were in for. Didn't another prince's wife get hounded too? Fergie (not the singer)?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 8:45 am

Harry has virtually no chance of being King. He’s about 8th in line.

William has an excellent chance. He is 2nd in line, after Prince Charles. If William did this, the impact would be much greater

I can understand Harry wanting to live at least a semi-normal life.

I hope the Royal Family arrives at some sort of compromise.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 9:32 am

From Facebook:

"One day a woman gave up her lucrative career that she loved, worked hard for and excelled at as well as earning millions to be with the man that she loves.

She made the decision, which I am positive was extremely emotional, to pack up her entire life, kiss her loved ones good bye and moved to an entirely different country to be with the man she loves.

She said goodbye to her single mother who raised her on her own and life as she knew it to be with the man she loves.

She gave up any ounce of privacy she had once enjoyed and took on the role gracefully and without hesitation to be with the man she loves.

She is constantly scrutinised, bullied and vilified by the media and is the constant target of relentless racism. The tabloid headlines are vile and sickening to read but the people revel in that kind of hatred toward her, but she still shows up, she still smiles for the cameras and she never waivers in her support for her husband. She endures to be with the man she loves.

She chose to carry the baby that both her and her husband wanted, suffering through morning sickness, extreme hormonal changes, aches and pains and all the added risks of pregnancy when under extreme pressure.

She was called too fat, too old and too pretentious for protectively holding her growing belly as she grew a human being inside of her, she knew she would no longer be in control of her own body all the while being called a liar who was faking her pregnancy. All to be with the man she loves.

She went through postpartum anxiety and NEARLY broke down in a public interview, she was not offered love and support from the public instead she was called a drama queen!

Accused of just being a great actor capable of crocodile tears yet, only after years of having her acting abilities scrutinised, but she continued to be the pillar of strength in the public eye and raising her baby boy, to be with the man she loves.

The world never bat an eyelid over everything she gave up. The entire world chewed her up, spat her out and then demanded more.

One day a man said he would not be bullied into playing a game that killed his beloved mum. He and his wife made the choice to put theirs and their child's mental health and well-being first.

That grown man, who is very capable of making his own choices, decided to give up his career to be with the woman he loves.

And the entire world went mad..."

By ChristieLee - Mum

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:00 am

We complain with good reason about how biased and vicious and gossipy the American press is. The British “Fleet Street” tabloids are a lot worse, always have been.

I am sure she was extensively briefed on how structured and formal the royal lifestyle is, how mean British tabloids are. As an actress used to publicity she thought she could handle it. Thinking you can handle it in theory and actually being able to handle it are two different things. It was obviously too much for her. The British accent sounds sophisticated and sexy to many American ears, the UK sounds like an great place to live to Anglophiles quaint, both civilized and eccentric but despite so much that we have in common it is another country, the differences are a lot more than British and American English.

The special relationship between the US and UK is real but as an American bi racial commoner she is the ultimate foreigner and a royal marrying her is the ultimate betrayal to some despite British reserve/upper lip requiring they do not openly say it. The last time a British royal married an American it did not go well either.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 14 Jan 2020, 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:15 am

I have no personal feelings for either of them, but I hope they make it out. I'm always baffled by people who envy the royals, especially on this site. A fraction of what they have to put up would drive any of us to suicide.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:26 am

I didn't/don't know anything about it all really. I knew that Harry got married and I knew they had a baby, but that's about all. Had no idea so much bizarre nonsense was going on with tabloids and the public. I know Diana went though all kinds of crap (although I don't know the particulars) that ended up leading to her death. I would have thought after that, the public would act less goofy over a royal couple.

Last edited by EzraS on 14 Jan 2020, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:28 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I have no personal feelings for either of them, but I hope they make it out. I'm always baffled by people who envy the royals, especially on this site. A fraction of what they have to put up would drive any of us to suicide.

Exactly. ^

I'm horrified by the concept of monarchies and can't imagine what Meghan's been through. It's similar to the way people insult or shame Melania Trump for being beautiful. These women face sexism, racism and classism at its worst.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:50 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

Exactly. ^

I'm horrified by the concept of monarchies and can't imagine what Meghan's been through. It's similar to the way people insult or shame Melania Trump for being beautiful. These women face sexism, racism and classism at its worst.

These women are making significant sacrifices and I commend Harry for trying to protect his wife and baby. Maybe he doesn't want him to grow up the same way he did.

I don't think any of the dirt they throw at Melania has anything to do with her - the fact that it's not personal would make me feel worse if I was her, it's quite dehumanising.

And I don't think Meghan really understood what she's getting into, as ASPartOfMe astutely pointed out "Thinking you can handle it in theory and actually being able to handle it are two different things" and I doubt anyone can really handle it unless they're willing and able to play the same game. Anybody who spent any amount of time in the UK knows their tabloids are far more vicious than anywhere else and historically speaking, quite a few people in the royal family had to make soul-destroying sacrifices for the throne. Most of us can just walk out or fight against abusive family members - these people can't and no amount of riches can make up for that.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 6:29 pm

People of Canada! Did you know shiftless foreign immigrants with no useful skills are trying to sneak into your country? :D

Unskilled foreigners seek move to Canada

OTTAWA – A British and American couple, both unemployed, are seeking to emigrate to Canada despite having no real skills to offer the country, early reports indicate.

British and American media have said that an American actor and her husband have the intention of living in the country on a semi-permanent or permanent basis.

The actor has found some previous work in Toronto which may help her immigration and work permit applications although Citizenship and Immigration Canada has not identified acting as an in-demand trade.

“She has to obtain the proper paperwork indicating that she has a job,” said an Immigration Canada official. “We need references and a criminal record check before her application can move forward, but she hasn’t even been nominated for a single Golden Globe yet.”

‘Being famous’ was not considered a skill in demand unlike a doctor, nurse, engineer, or general labourer. The husband’s application scored 0 out of 70 points on his Canadian work experience despite claiming ‘waving’ and ‘talking’ during his most recent visits to Canada.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/01/un ... to-canada/

There Are Four Lights!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 6:04 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
"negro brooch"
"tainting the bloodline"

Never miss an opportunity do you.

If I was Meghan I would have taken Princess Michael of Kent's decision a covert message from the royal family as well
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/prin ... le-n832211

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 7:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
"negro brooch"
"tainting the bloodline"

If I was Meghan I would have taken Princess Michael of Kent's decision a covert message from the royal family as well

And what message does the bust of a Moor clad in gold convey?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 4:29 pm

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
"negro brooch"
"tainting the bloodline"

The fact she apologised (which you clearly missed) mean't she understood the impact when she chose the brooch to wear in front of TV cameras for Meghan's very first function to meet the family

The item is a throwback to the era of slavery when blacks served the aristocracy as servants.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 7:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
"negro brooch"
"tainting the bloodline"

The fact she apologised (which you clearly missed) mean't she understood the impact when she chose the brooch to wear in front of TV cameras for Meghan's very first function to meet the family

The item is a throwback to the era of slavery when blacks served the aristocracy as servants.

She apologized because it's people like you who make anything regarding Meghan Markle as racist as possible. You all are the ones screaming she's half BLACK!! She's half BLACK and marred to a WHITE man!!. She's BLACK and they are WHITE!! They are so RACIST!!

My extended family gets subjected to that all the time.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 8:55 pm

She apologised because she was exposed. Princess Michael has a history of causing trouble (just google it) and her actions were her attempt to subtly communicate what the rest of the British Royal family already thought.

In any case the damage was already done
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/opin ... harry.html

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 9:23 pm

Yep the damage was done by those who make racism as much of an issue as possible. Funny thing is, I had no idea nor cared or paid attention what her ethnicity is, until the racism warriors started shouting it from the rooftops.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 9:47 pm

EzraS wrote:
Yep the damage was done by those who make racism as much of an issue as possible. Funny thing is, I had no idea nor cared or paid attention what her ethnicity is, until the racism warriors started shouting it from the rooftops.

Us common-folk aren't the reason she left.
I am fairly sure Prince William knew her mother's ancestry when he advised Harry not to pursue her