Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 7:19 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kxxv.c ... f_amp=true

I actually know this person. He was adopted from Russia, likes to go around the city, and has a special fixation on birthdays. He tends to put himself in danger by walking along the busy streets but what the cop did was uncalled for.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 7:46 pm

I can't blame the guy for being scared.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 7:53 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:

Speaking from personal experience, the cops here are very aggressive and not equipped to handle people on the spectrum. One cop who pulled me over even accused me of being on narcotics because of my demeanor. I get the feeling this cop had the same assumptions about Sergei. My sister in-law’s friend actually thought he was a “crack head”.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 7:59 pm

I am so sorry about this, Brother Mark.

It seems as if law enforcement in Texas take pride in stereotyping people on the spectrum.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 7:59 pm

Marknis wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Speaking from personal experience, the cops here are very aggressive and not equipped to handle people on the spectrum. One cop who pulled me over even accused me of being on narcotics because of my demeanor. I get the feeling this cop had the same assumptions about Sergei. My sister in-law’s friend actually thought he was a “crack head”.

It was uncalled for.

When I was young people thought I was on drugs at times also, that is when they did not think I was a narc. Sometimes you just can't win.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 8:09 pm

Marknis wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

I have even been denied my rights because a cop and later a judge at a bond hearing thought I was not intelligent enough to understand my rights after I once got arrested for some cop punching my information in the computer for a different person with the same name

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 10:36 pm

Heartbreaking

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 10:44 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I am so sorry about this, Brother Mark.

It seems as if law enforcement in Texas take pride in stereotyping people on the spectrum.

Stereotyping anybody.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 6:33 am

Considering how often there are news about cops there messing up, I'd say the problem is the system, not some individual officers. Solution: better officer training. That would protect everyone.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 10:33 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Considering how often there are news about cops there messing up, I'd say the problem is the system, not some individual officers. Solution: better officer training. That would protect everyone.

The problem is that in the red states, most people support the “system” wholeheartedly, if it means oppressing those deemed “undesirable”.

That’s why they support Trump.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 10:35 am

You have good cops...you have bad cops.

Sometimes, it's the "System." Sometimes, it's the individual cop.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

But so many bad cops? Pretty sure it's the system, unless it's often the rotten people who aim to the police force in the first place for some reason.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Seems to me that the only good cops are the ones who grew up around someone with a developmental disability prior to joining the police department.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:23 pm

The relatively rare bad cops ruin it for the relatively common good or neutral cops.

Most cops become cops because their father was a cop.

Some do it to make a living. Some like the adventure and action. A few really have an axe to grind.

Many cops get burned out on the job. And they become hardened and cynical. Some of these cops can become bad cops.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 1:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The relatively rare bad cops ruin it for the relatively common good or neutral cops.

Most cops become cops because their father was a cop.

Some do it to make a living. Some like the adventure and action. A few really have an axe to grind.

Many cops get burned out on the job. And they become hardened and cynical. Some of these cops can become bad cops.

The ones who are bad to the point of planting evidence or taking bribes are rare. But the ones who would try to use a disability against someone and either not help or ignore rights seem to be a dime a dozen.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 1:51 pm

It's reached the point that law enforcement borders on being domestic terrorism, especially since Trump took office.