State of emergency: High tension in Virginia as right-wing

Page 5 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 11:47 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
The reason anyone does anything is money. South wanted a certain amount of time to make the newest investment in slavery pay off, get the crops in and get right financially. North didn't want them to get right financially... Solution - free the slaves NOW. Neither side gave a damn about the slaves... Not the North, not the South. West Virginia seceded because they gave even less of a s**t about anything.

Succinct enough?

I think that is most likely a more realistic appraisal of the situation.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 12:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
Borromeo wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Borromeo wrote:
This sort of talk produces very little benefit on a public forum and should be reserved for an echo chamber among like-minded people; better yet, if you haven't any good to say about someone, don't say it. If you are emasculating anyone, guns are not the part you are trying to remove and I believe we can move this into the transgender discussion category; furthermore, when you say something like that, the effects are twofold. First, by assuming people into a class and then stereotyping, you show your ignorance. Secondly, by attacking them, you show your arrogance.

You have invalidated your opinion on gun control by that statement, I believe, because talk like that shows an unwillingness to let a conclusion spoil an argument. Saying things like that is what will make the other side angry and feel threatened, and determination and cunning are going to beat someone whose raison d'être is more worthy of a middle-school playground babbler.

Unfortunately, such a weak argument is almost impossible to disagree with, but it paints you as a very disagreeable person, the kind of entitled and arrogant vacuity against which the working class man might well wish to protect himself. It's not about your philosophy at this point; how will you ever persuade anybody to agree with you when prejudice keeps you disagreeable?

The "emasculation" remark was in reference to the saying that people buy guns to compensate for having small genitals.

I'm autistic, not ret*d. I can read what you wrote, but I don't have to agree with it, and if anything it makes you as petty as Trump himself, arguing with that North Korean commie about whose button was bigger.

Avoid using the r-word please

I don't give a damn.

After the way you went after Ezra S. and a lot of other people on some different topics in this forum, you haven't a valid background to try telling me about manners. It's like hearing Ned Kelly talking about preventing shoplifting.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 12:40 am

Borromeo: Age 21. I see, that explains a bit. You may be too young to realize this history lesson.

You say you’re autistic, not “ret*d.” IMO, you don’t seem to realize that before the word autism & it’s diagnostic criteria existed, everyone on the spectrum and/or with intellectual disabilities were simply called “ret*d.” Soooo, you kinda are in fact “ret*d,” (and so am I and almost everyone else here) if we’re going to use that outdated word.

Just thought you should know that that word did/does apply to those of us on the spectrum if you’re going to use it in a derogatory way.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 12:45 am

Back on topic:

I looked it up earlier today. Tmw is MLK day in the USA, which means we’ll find out in T-less than 24 hours whether this whole thing blows over or blows up.

I’m hoping it just blows over and everyone goes home safe. But I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few incidents of violence like there were in Charlottesville. Hopefully not, though. And I really doubt that it’s going to truly explode into some big massive battle or standoff. There’s a whole lot of tough talk online that isn’t likely to translate into action in real life.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 12:48 am

I'll say what I damn well please. I know that; the history of autism intrigues me. In fact, before 1911, it was once called juvenile schizophrenia--so "lunatic" might be a more historically accurate insult.

If I played your game I could maybe say that your condescending drivel, "You're 21. I see, that explains a bit. You may be too young to realize this history lesson" is ageist.

By the way, that bit about credibility (shoplifting bit) applies to you too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 12:50 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am mostly upset about being priced out of the more progressive parts of the country, where there are more people who have the same interests as me, and I feel that intense social engineering of people in the red states is the only alternative.

I sure as hell don't want to move to a red state, I mean I don't want children and well red states are more likely to get in the way of an abortion(in the case of accidental pregnancy) than blue or purple states. Plus it more red states who haven't gotten on board and legalized marijuana yet.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 12:54 am

Borromeo wrote:
I'll say what I damn well please. I know that; the history of autism intrigues me. In fact, before 1911, it was once called juvenile schizophrenia--so "lunatic" might be a more historically accurate insult.

If I played your game I could maybe say that your condescending drivel, "You're 21. I see, that explains a bit. You may be too young to realize this history lesson" is ageist.

It’s not ageist, it’s literal. The word “ret*d,” hasn’t been commonly used to describe autism in your lifetime.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 12:57 am

Update article:

White supremacists not welcome
trump stokes the fears of gun nuts via Twitter
And an outline of the few basic law changes being voted on soon

http://huffp.st/isjTnEc

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 3:33 am

JohnPowell wrote:
You prove my point that you just see racism and race everywhere. Desperately trying to cover for your own racism.

I stated two historical facts and no I'm not racist against white people....next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 3:37 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Update article:

At least the Virginia GOP leader sounds sane. But I suppose later today, as its already nearly 1:40 am where I am we will see what transpires at this rally/protest or whatever exactly it is.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 4:03 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Update article:

Authorities have arrested six suspected neo-Nazis who were potentially planning to commit violence at the rally on Monday. Several of them believed a race war might ensue according to FBI sources.

So the FBI are trying to prevent a race war...meanwhile the POTUS (Trump) appears to be encouraging extremists??;

Your 2nd Amendment is under very serious attack in the Great Commonwealth of Virginia. That’s what happens when you vote for Democrats, they will take your guns away. Republicans will win Virginia in 2020. Thank you Dems!

I cannot fathom how the republicans think they can continue to support this man? he is crazy

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 5:13 am

Autism was sometimes called “childhood schizophrenia” even up to the 1970s.

Some people here would have fit the criteria for “Minimal Brain Dysfunction” back then, too.

I was diagnosed with “brain injury” in the 1970s.

Eugen Bleuler used “autism” to describe the overall mindset of schizophrenics back in 1911. He called schizophrenia “dementia praecox.”

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 5:38 am

Borromeo wrote:

I see I'm not the only one who gets the age game. It should not be that someone should be afraid to post their age because it will be used against them in such condescending fashion.

I have no idea why a couple of members here have such a fixation with age. But I sometimes wonder if it is because they are considerably younger than they claim to be. Especially if they think 30 whatever is a wise old age.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 7:53 am

EzraS wrote:
Borromeo wrote:

I see I'm not the only one who gets the age game. It should not be that someone should be afraid to post their age because it will be used against them in such condescending fashion.

I have no idea why a couple of members here have such a fixation with age. But I sometimes wonder if it is because they are considerably younger than they claim to be. Especially if they think 30 whatever is a wise old age.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Post was already responded to. Age reference, again, was literal. The topic of discussion hadn’t been in use during his lifetime and thus he wouldn’t be likely/expected to know about it.

Once again you pretend you’re being discriminated against when you have nothing valid to say. Try choosing to say nothing next time, it’s far more appropriate.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 8:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Autism was sometimes called “childhood schizophrenia” even up to the 1970s.

Some people here would have fit the criteria for “Minimal Brain Dysfunction” back then, too.

I was diagnosed with “brain injury” in the 1970s.

Eugen Bleuler used “autism” to describe the overall mindset of schizophrenics back in 1911. He called schizophrenia “dementia praecox.”

Very interesting.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 8:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Update article:

Authorities have arrested six suspected neo-Nazis who were potentially planning to commit violence at the rally on Monday. Several of them believed a race war might ensue according to FBI sources.

So the FBI are trying to prevent a race war...meanwhile the POTUS (Trump) appears to be encouraging extremists??;

Your 2nd Amendment is under very serious attack in the Great Commonwealth of Virginia. That’s what happens when you vote for Democrats, they will take your guns away. Republicans will win Virginia in 2020. Thank you Dems!

I cannot fathom how the republicans think they can continue to support this man? he is crazy

The gun issue is the sole reason some people vote GOP, unfortunately.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!