Page 437 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440 ... 535  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:57 pm

Many people who died of COVID-19, especially early on, died alone, without their loved ones by their side.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 12:16 am

Major news in Australia. Man has caught Covid twice. Puts vaccine in jeopardy.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 80b16b3b3f

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 5:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
Major news in Australia. Man has caught Covid twice. Puts vaccine in jeopardy.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 80b16b3b3f

Rare occurrences should not change policy but in this social media era they do.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2020, 11:54 pm

further setbacks for the vaccine,
A volunteer taking part in human trials for the University of Oxford’s COVID-19 vaccine has died, sparking concern and confusion over the circumstances surrounding his death.
The man has been named as 28-year-old doctor João Pedro R. Feitosa from Brazil.
He was taking part in the Brazilian trials of the coronavirus vaccine candidate being developed by the university and pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca when he died on October 15.
No official information on the cause of his death has been given, though unofficially, it has been reported he died of complications due to COVID-19.
Equally, the vaccine developers are unable to confirm whether Dr Feitosa was on the vaccine or the placebo as part of the trial, however an unnamed person close to the trial process revealed toBloomberg that he had been given the placebo.

Everybody waiting for the confirmation....if he was given the vaccine then that spells trouble...

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 6:23 am

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=384318&p=8493011#p8493011

Syd wrote:
Even though this seems like a bad thing right now, it will probably save a lot of lives in the long-term.

Every flu season will have thousands of less deaths from now on simply because more Americans will get flu shots, practice good hygiene, and take other preventative measures.

Stockpiles of medical supplies will be built to greater levels, and we'll be better prepared the next time an infectious disease hits.

Mask wearing and social distancing for COVID-19 may have cut influenza cases south of the equator

"as coronavirus widened its global sweep, one health statistic quickly flattened: influenza cases. In the Southern Hemisphere, flu season would have been just taking off, but cases were virtually nonexistent. 'Never in my 40-year career have we ever seen rates ... so low,' says Greg Poland, an influenza expert at the Mayo Clinic."

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2020, 12:48 pm

The good news the pandemic will be over soon my work place has been working from home since march we got an email on monday for everyone to start working from the office on Nov 2nd the day before the election

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Oct 2020, 12:52 pm

Brehus wrote:
The good news the pandemic will be over soon my work place has been working from home since march we got an email on monday for everyone to start working from the office on Nov 2nd the day before the election

That does not mean end of pandemic, only change in your office's politics.
When Israel reopened in June, people acted like the epidemics was over. That was a very bad idea.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2020, 6:02 pm

CDC COVID-19 Survival Rates

Age 0-19: 99.997%
Age 20-49: 99.98%
Age 50-69: 99.5%
Age 70+: 94.6%
https://www.krtv.com/news/coronavirus/cdc-covid-19-chronic-medical-conditions-and-survival-rates

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 11:49 am

Denmark just right now... new COVID-19 restrictions:

- Mandatory face masks in all indoor areas with public access
- No sale of alcohol after 10 PM
- Ban on public gatherings above 10 persons

I hate this virus.
I hate it like trees hate axes.
I hate it like Libertarians hate taxes.
I hate it like dyslexics hate cephalothoraxes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 3:59 pm

Increase in Covid cases sets U.S. record, at over 77K in one day

Quote:
The United States set a daily record for coronavirus cases on Thursday as the number soared past 77,000, topping the previous high set in July, NBC News confirmed on Friday.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert and a frequent Trump target, warned that with the weather turning colder and more people congregating inside the U.S. is in a "precarious" place. He said there's no chance a Covid-19 vaccine will be ready before Election Day as Trump has predicted.

"Most likely the end of November, the beginning of December, we will know that a vaccine is safe and effective," Fauci told MSBNC's Chuck Todd. "And I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be. There will be doses that are already made and ready to go at the end of the year. But, if you talk logistically about getting it to the major proportion of the population, that will be, obviously, several months into 2021."

In the U.S., much of the increase in new cases have been driven by surges in Midwestern states like Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota that have recorded rises in case numbers in the last two weeks.

Idaho hospitals near capacity, may send new coronavirus patients to Portland, Seattle
Quote:

People with COVID-19 in Northern Idaho soon may have to be sent to Portland or Seattle because the region’s hospitals are nearing capacity.

Kootenai Health hospital said in a statement Wednesday that their hospital is at 99% capacity for patients. The facility is also short-staffed, as demand for nurses grows with the rise in COVID-19 cases throughout the country, the statement said.

Kootenai Health will not turn anybody away, but there may be long wait times and patients might receive treatment in different locations such as the waiting room, Cabell said.

In the southern Idaho city of Twin Falls, St. Luke’s Hospital has had to cancel all elective surgery for the month to accommodate an influx of COVID-19 patients. One in every four patients there is sick with COVID-19.

Idaho is seeing its largest coronavirus spike since the pandemic began, with new cases increasing statewide by 46.5% percent over the past two weeks. Gov. Brad Little, a Republican, has declined to take steps such as requiring masks statewide to slow the spread of the virus.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 10:48 am

Aerosol Transmission

According to many scientists and doctors, the CDC has severely lagged in identifying the novel coronavirus as airborne. The same thing happened during the early months of the pandemic, when the CDC and WHO delayed labeling it a pandemic.

Many scientists and doctors began lobbying the CDC as early as February 2020 in an attempt to get the public health agency to classify SARS-CoV-2 as an airborne virus. In July 2020, nearly 250 scientists and doctors wrote an open letter to public health agencies urging them to address airborne transmission.

It's unlikely anything fundamental -- like the mode of transmission -- has changed about the novel coronavirus since it began spreading in early 2020. It's more likely that now, seven months in, the evidence is clear enough to definitely say COVID-19 can spread through airborne particles.

Source: The coronavirus is airborne -- what that means for you

The number of infections are beginning to rise again in the U.S. This means that the second wave is on the way. We still have a couple months to prepare. We need to get it right this time. We must deal with the nature of aerosol transmission. We must learn. Otherwise we will repeat the same mistakes from the first go-round.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 11:40 am

European Countries Impose New Covid-19 Restrictions Amid Rising Infections

Quote:
Italy announced the closure of all bars and restaurants at 6 p.m, while daily cases in France have increased by nearly 50% in the past week

In Spain, which has also been at the forefront of the second wave, the government announced a state of emergency, as it did in March, giving national authorities greater power to impose social-distancing and emergency health-care policies. The government also announced a nationwide curfew between the hours of 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. and limited social gatherings to six people. Socializing and nightlife have been among the main causes of Spain’s rebound in virus cases. “The situation we are living in is extreme,” said Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez.

Detected cases have also spiraled in the U.K., Poland, and even Germany, which had until recently kept the virus under better control than other major European countries. The sheer volume of cases around Europe is threatening to overwhelm many countries’ capacities for testing, contact-tracing and isolating virus carriers.

Europe’s governments are trying to avoid a return to full-blown lockdowns, including nationwide stay-at-home orders and the closure of nonessential businesses. But many countries are struggling with mounting public fatigue with anti-pandemic policies.

So far, the rise in hospitalizations and deaths during Europe’s second wave hasn’t been comparable to this spring. But public-health experts warn that the return of widespread contagion could revive the pressure on hospitals if it isn’t brought under control.

The second wave of infections, combined with the piecemeal return of social-distancing restrictions on everyday life, is already slowing down Europe’s economic recovery from its deep, lockdown-induced recession this spring.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 7:53 am

A Second Wave Materializing in Europe

Virus patients now occupy more than half of France’s intensive care units, and some doctors are urging tougher restrictions after another record jump in confirmed infections. Dr. Jean-Francois Delfraissy, head of the government’s virus advisory body, expressed surprise Monday at the “brutality” of the rise, after more than 52,000 new cases were reported Sunday. Delfraissy warns that this latest wave of the virus could be “stronger than the first” and is spreading all around Europe.

Source: Infections disease expert warns France has 'lost control' of coronavirus pandemic

Europe relies heavily on mass transportation, much like the northeast in the U.S. - Mass transit is very vulnerable to spreading the virus.

If you want to halt the spread of the coronavirus, wear N95s during mass transit. That is an effective way for bring the spread under control. The disease is airborne and spread by aerosols.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 8:09 am

As this virus has similarities to the common cold, it doesn't seem surprising that it's airborne. Or that infections are going to increase in the fall and winter months.

I wouldn't call it so much a second wave as a new season.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 8:15 am

California's dire coronavirus prediction was wrong, hospitalizations went down instead

In late September, California officials predicted that the state could see a whopping 89% increase in COVID-19 hospitalizations within the next month. But 30 days after that dire prediction, the rates of virus-related hospitalizations have gone down.

From my perspective, that makes a lot of sense. The virus is spread by aerosols. In dry humid environments, the viral particles lose moisture and float in the air longer. I lived in California and during the winter months is the season they experience their rainfall. But the summers can be brutal producing high heat and humidity. The hot dry conditions in California produced many forest fires this year. Indoors air conditioning can drive humidity levels even lower inside. Therefore in California as we approach winter, infections will tap down. But on the other hand I currently live in the Midwest. And because of the cold winters, many heat their homes and businesses driving humidity levels very low during the winter months. So it is natural for a second wave to develop in the Northeast and Midwest during this winter.

STAY ALIVE, HUMIDIFY

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Oct 2020, 8:52 am

Looking at the statistics, things go as expected in the climate zone I'm familiar with:
Europe and Northeast US are having the long-predicted autumn second wave.
Warmer climates have their own year cycles.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>