Page 3 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 535  Next

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:19 am

sopa de morcego...uma delícia

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:25 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

Bem, se kim kardashian pode colocar sangue em seu rosto, por que as garotas chinesas não podem devorar morcegos vivos?

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Bem, se kim kardashian pode colocar sangue em seu rosto, por que as garotas chinesas não podem devorar morcegos vivos?
Is that Portuguese? Or Spanish? Hebrew?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:27 am

Portuguese

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
Portuguese
I knew it. I'm not Portuguese I just managed to identify the language accurately.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:33 am

Fnord wrote:
There is still too much speculation on the deadliness of this virus.  The Chinese government has only recently made an 'official' statement of transparency, and only after the virus threatened to spread outside of Wuhan.

Except for Ebola, there has not been a serious viral outbreak since the Black Death.

spanish flu right after WWI was pretty serious.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:35 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Fnord wrote:
There is still too much speculation on the deadliness of this virus.  The Chinese government has only recently made an 'official' statement of transparency, and only after the virus threatened to spread outside of Wuhan.

Except for Ebola, there has not been a serious viral outbreak since the Black Death.

spanish flu right after WWI was pretty serious.

Kraftie já disse que

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:36 am

StayFrosty wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Portuguese
I knew it. I'm not Portuguese I just managed to identify the language accurately.

Bueno

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 8:01 am

I posted the Chinese Krait snake theory of this virus on an online forum I belong to for snake enthusiasts and got an response.

QUOTE-From Kelly Mc
"Humans coming into full bodied contact with this have no one to blame but themselves,for the pageantry of misery incubated by these markets.
Eating snakes,drinking there blood,slurping various organs for rediculous purposes".end of quote.

I guess some people do love snakes more than people.I wouldn't go that far,most people affected by the virus never eat snakes.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 9:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sigbold wrote:
In the meantime up to 8 cities have been put under quarantine. And of course there have been several cases outside of China as well. If there are good precautions being taken we should have little too worry. Unless, someone slips past the net by being infected, but not showing any symptoms yet.

Airports are using equipment to scan for heat signatures in incoming passengers which might indicate fever

”The whole airport screening exercise is to simply give people comfort that there is some government action to protect the public,” Ramanan Laxminarayan, director of the Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy in Washington, D.C., said, according to Bloomberg. “It has no real public health utility in the case of coronaviruses. What really matters is surveillance, infection control and isolation.”

While all of the patients who have died from the virus exhibited some symptoms, including a cough, shortness of breath and chest tightness, some of them did not have a fever.

"People can cross borders without a fever then get sick after their arrival and taking paracetamol or aspirin can bring a fever down so it isn’t detected,” World Health Organization adviser David Heymann said, according to Bloomberg.

The most effective way to detect the virus is through kits that use the genetic makeup of the virus, according to Bloomberg. Public health officials around the world have access to the test kits but they’re in low supply and Wuhan has already run out.

The Chinese embassy in Paris has reportedly tracked down a woman who bragged on social media that she was able to get through coronavirus screening at the airport by taking medicine to lower her fever.

The woman left Wuhan, China, where the virus was first detected, before the city was quarantined and later posted pictures on her Instagram, claiming to be at a restaurant in Lyon, France, BBC News reported.

"Just before I left, I had a low fever and cough. I was scared to death and rushed to eat [fever-reducing] medicine," the woman tweeted, according to BBC. "I kept on checking my temperature. Luckily I managed to get it down and my exit was smooth."

On Thursday, the embassy said she no longer had a fever or cough but she would get further tests.

The case highlights the problem with temperature screenings, the main way major airports are testing travelers for the virus to prevent its spread.

Source: Woman reportedly bragged about using medicine to lower temperature at airport’s coronavirus screening

China has announced they will close Disneyland in Shanghai tomorrow, the Lunar New Year. In addition to Shanghai Disneyland, Chinese authorities have also temporarily closed part of the Great Wall of China, as well as the Forbidden City in Beijing, Reuters reports.

Because of a lack of transparency, the number of actual cases of this new coronavirus and the number of actual deaths may be significantly underreported.

Source: Shanghai Disneyland, part of Great Wall of China temporarily closed due to coronavirus concerns

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:45 pm

A second case of the coronavirus has been detected in the U.S. This time in Chicago, Illinois.

The patient is a woman in her 60s who is located in Illinois and had recently traveled to Wuhan, China. The health agency said the woman had arrived back in the U.S. on Jan. 13 and called a health care provider a few days later to report possible symptoms. The patient had limited movement outside the home.

Officials also said 63 other cases across 22 states are currently under investigation. So we will have a little bit of catch-up to do, so don't be surprised if the numbers shoot up during the next couple days.

Source: CDC confirms coronavirus case in Illinois, dozens more under investigation

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 2:09 pm

Yes ... let's wait a while before we encourage people to panic.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 5:25 pm

Chinese people in Melbourne are reported to have cancelled their holidays to China for Chinese new year.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 11:55 pm

The death toll from the coronavirus that began in China and has since spread to several other countries, including the United States, rose to 41 while the number of confirmed cases in China increased to over 1,200, authorities said Saturday.

The uptick comes as China expands its unprecedented lockdown of 39 million people to contain the reach of the pneumonia-like virus.

Cases have been reported in 29 Chinese provinces, with 572 cases alone coming out of Wuhan, where the outbreak began, the South China Morning Post reported. Hubei, the province where Wuhan is located, saw 39 deaths as a result of infection, according to data released by local governments.

As of Friday, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, the U.S. and Vietnam had all confirmed coronavirus cases. On Friday. Australia announced its first case, a Chinese man in his 50s who returned from China last week.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 11:13 am

Sigbold wrote:
If there are good precautions being taken we should have little too worry. Unless, someone slips past the net by being infected, but not showing any symptoms yet.

I strongly disagree about the little to worry part.

Medically, perhaps coronavirus is not the most horrible disease. Most people that have died, had other conditions. But the impact to the economy and to the society overall is huge. Entire cities have been locked down, sport events cancelled. How are you going to have an economy when people don't have freedom of movement?

No symptoms, means you don't infect other people. That part is OK. The problem is when you know you have symptoms, yet you insist on taking medication to mask them out temporarily, so to get through airport check points. Not only that, you go to closely-confined public places afterwards. Such has been a case in Taiwan, where a businessman, knowing perfectly well that he had fever, took medication to get through the airport check point, flew inside the plane and took a taxi and other ground public transportation. He furthermore went to a club afterwards, for 2 hours, without wearing a mask. Now, instead of one person, the government has to follow and track down about 100 more people. This business man was issued a fine of US$10,000. Sure, no one likes to lose freedom of movement, but he should have stayed put, get medical help in China, instead of making a plane trip. I mean, even if you are sick but really want or need to travel by plane, most international airlines wouldn't say no to you, but the condition is that you need to wear a mask at all time inside the airplane, and the flight attendants will arrange for you to sit in areas more isolated from other passengers, so that (a) other passengers minimize the chance of infection, (b) maintenance crew can perform plane disinfection afterward more easily.

That's usually how the "safety net" is broken through: by people with symptoms yet unwilling to lose their freedom of movement. Airport check points, though not perfect, is an important part of raising situational awareness to the public. They play an important role, because there are usually also inspectors sitting behind the surveillance cameras, just like in other places of airports and seaports, watching for reactions of travelers when they encounter these check points. In short, the defense ultimately has to come from the public, in the form of "If you see something, say something." The above case of the businessman, was not revealed by himself. It was revealed because a worker in the club developed cold-like symptoms (herself now isolated in hospital pending further assessment), and told her doctor about the businessman's history.

"If you see something, say something" is still the best defense mechanism. See, the businessman visited a doctor in Taiwan, but did not mention that he was recently in Wuhan. Doctors see dozens of cold/flu patients per day, so unless patients are honest, it would be hard to discover who is a coronavirus sufferer. It was only because of the information from the club worker that the government has learned about the case of the businessman.

Given all that, I think no one should criticize airport check points as ineffective. They play a very important role.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 11:43 am

eikonabridge wrote:
Medically, perhaps coronavirus is not the most horrible disease. Most people that have died, had other conditions. But the impact to the economy and to the society overall is huge. Entire cities have been locked down, sport events cancelled. How are you going to have an economy when people don't have freedom of movement?

Like how they had functioning economies when they locked down entire cities during what where still much worse epidemics. The economies in those cities will become a lot more local and even if they try to keep everyone at home black markets will arise. Humankind survived much worse then this. And it is yet to be seen if gets at the level of pandemics that might alter social and demographic circumstances for the long term. In which case liberals have the most to fear, since it might increase skepticism of the blessings of the free market. And maybe a move away from individualism towards communitarianism. Since people will have rely more on their immediate communities if government programs and law enforcement become overwhelmed or spread to thin.

But as I said we are probably still far removed from this becoming a new Great Plague. And the media is most likely just hyping things in order to boost viewership/sells.

Last edited by Sigbold on 25 Jan 2020, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.