Page 467 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470 ... 535  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 9:19 am

CubsBullsBears wrote:
I wonder how much of a problem a certain amount of vaccine-refusal is gonna be in the future. I hope that there’s at least some who are changing their minds from no to yes after many people have gotten both doses and have been just fine, myself included.

In December 2020, around 34% of Americans said they want to be vaccinated.
In January 2021, that number increased to 47%.
According to the most recent poll, 67% of survey respondents said they plan to get vaccinated or have already received an inoculation.

Source: Poll: Nearly Half of American Adults Now Want the Covid Vaccine — ASAP

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 11:07 pm

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine

A U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory panel on Friday voted to endorse Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine, clearing the way for FDA leaders to grant emergency use authorization amid the ongoing fight against COVID-19.

The vote was 22-0, with all committee members voting in favor of endorsing the jab for emergency use approval.

The vaccine candidate — derived from an adenovirus vector formula, unlike the vaccines created by Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech which were created using mRNA technology — showed to be 66.9% effective against moderate-to-severe disease in a global trial two weeks post-vaccination, per the documents.

Source: FDA panel endorses Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 9:43 am

Progress of COVID Inoculations

According to the coronavirus vaccine tracker, the U.S. has now administered 70.45 million vaccine doses with around 21.0% of the U.S. population vaccinated (with at least one dose). In the United States an average of 1.45 million doses were injected daily.

Globally 231.51 million vaccine doses have been given with the U.S., China and U.K. in the top three positions. India is slowly catching up. India is now administering nearly a half a million doses each day.

Source: COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 9:15 am

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine

Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine 3rd to receive emergency use authorization

The Food and Drug Administration announced Saturday evening that it had issued an emergency use authorization for the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, the third overall.

The FDA said tests on the Janssen Biotech Inc., vaccine was about 67% effective in preventing moderate to severe cases within 14 days after dosing and 66% effective against severe to critical cases after 28 days. Janssen is a pharmaceutical subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson. Johnson & Johnson single-dose vaccine is also easier to store and has a longer shelf life at higher temperatures.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 9:14 am

What Next????

As infections, hospitalizations and deaths decline across the country, people are clamoring to return to a life that resembles a modicum of normalcy, more specifically, pre-COVID normality.  

As we head into March, a third COVID-19 vaccine has received an Emergency Use Authorization and more than 40% of Americans over 65 years of age are vaccinated with at least one dose. Now is certainly the time to begin acknowledging our country is becoming less vulnerable to this pathogen. Because of such, we should determine mitigation strategies and risk of infection differently as more of the vulnerable become protected.

As Dr. Marty Makary, professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health, pointed out in a Wall Street Journal piece  recently, when you extrapolate documented COVID-19 infections with seroprevalence studies and other modeling, it is likely "about 55% of Americans have natural immunity."
------------------------
We should adapt public health measures to the background level of infection in the community. The percent of tests performed that are positive (percent positivity) is a critical measure illustrating how widespread transmission is in an area.   Most state re-openings were based on percent positivity levels beginning May 2020 after the World Health Organization  suggested  that if the percent positive remains below 5% for at least two weeks, reopening should occur. Fast forward to now, newly reported  Johns Hopkins  data shows the seven-day average percent positivity in the United States is 5.9%, with daily numbers dipping below 5%.   Currently over half of the U.S. states are reporting less than 5% positivity and soon many more are to follow. 

Once local percent positivity levels are consistently below 5%, mask mandates and indoor restrictions should be removed.  While we may see a small rise in cases following spring break, by May, the majority of the country should be below 5%.

The novel coronavirus that has been circulating the globe since January 2020 is likely to become endemic, meaning that it will be with us for years to come.  As with the flu and other endemic pathogens, we won’t get to an absolute zero risk reduction. The realistic goal is not to achieve an absolute, but rather to focus on mitigation efforts while moving forward. The more people who get vaccinated, the better positioned the country will be.

Source: Reaching immunity from coronavirus – here are things to watch as country moves forward

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Mar 2021, 9:23 am

jimmy m wrote:
Most state re-openings were based on percent positivity levels beginning May 2020 after the World Health Organization  suggested  that if the percent positive remains below 5% for at least two weeks, reopening should occur.
That statistic is one of the easier to manipulate if you have influence over which demographics get tested...
Anyway, I think recommendations from May 2020 should be now reconsidered against the data available since then - actual dynamics that happened in several countries for the last 10 months.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 9:44 am

I believe, in general, the easier the access to tests, the lower the positivity percentage. But this is by no means absolute.

We had very restrictive access to tests in NYC before about mid-April. One had to actually have COVID symptoms, and fulfill at least 5 other criteria. The positivity rate in the NYC area in late March-early April was ABOVE 50%, AND CLOSE TO 75% in some areas.

Now, NYC administers about 100,000 tests a day, and has about a 4% positivity rate. It was close to 8% in early January, 2021, though.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 11:10 am

Face Masks

A face mask is very important during the time of a Pandemic. But it must be the right face mask. In the case of the coronavirus COVID-19 it should be an N95. I wore an N95 for over a year during this pandemic. What it gave me was FREEDOM. The freedom to go where I wanted and do what I wanted away from home. This pandemic is primarily an indoor threat and not an outdoor threat. I would lump mass transit in the indoor category. I went shopping hundreds of times, spending the whole day shopping in most cases. I went to movie theaters many times and watched movies. I ate out at fine restaurants, except I only ate there if they had outdoor seating. So I was free as a bird and yet I did not contract the virus.

The main problem with this approach is after the pandemic materialized, N95s masks disappeared off store shelves and were not available for almost a years time.

Now that the pandemic is coming to a close, N95 mask are becoming available again. Even the one that I have my eye on called the Moldex 4200 N95 Airwave Respirator. One of the problems with wearing this type of face mask is that it restricts your airflow much more than most types of face masks such as surgical masks. N95s in general are basically hard to wear for any length of time. That is why I choose the Moldex 4200. By design it has a large surface area and is less restrictive.

So I just ordered 20 of these mask. Why? To store for the next Pandemic. There will always be a next Pandemic and the next one might even be nastier and scarier.

So I was caught with my pants down on this pandemic. Sure I had some N95s stored away. But I failed to store them properly. I stored them on a shelf in my garage for 10 years. They were so mildewed, my wife refused to wear them. Well that was on me. I spent a week reconditioning them in order to make them usable. How do you recondition a face mask. Well in my case I put a few drops of Tea Tree Oil in a plastic zip-lock bag and then inserted them into the bag and sealed it for a week. Then I removed the mask and stored them out in the sunlight for a couple days in the early spring.

The N95s are reusable provided you do not get them wet. I bought a UVC conditioning box that killed any surface biologicals after each use. As a result I was able to get over 2 months of intermittent use out of each of the N95s. And these masks gave me the FREEDOM to go where I wanted and do what I wanted. If I wanted to visit with my Grandkids, I visited with my grandkids.

Now this time I will not make the same mistake twice. I will store these new N95s properly. I will place them in a large mylar bag, put in an oxygen absorber and heat sealed them closed. As a result, they will be stored in an atmosphere of inert Nitrogen. Then I will place the bag in plastic 6 gallon bucket which will keep the rodents away. They should store easily for many decades and be readily available should I ever need them.

Last edited by jimmy m on 01 Mar 2021, 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 11:35 am

Opening Back Up

Thirty-five states have eased at least some restrictions -- such as restrictions on in-person learning and indoor dining -- since last year.

States who have rolled back some restrictions since 2020 include Alaska, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming.

Fifteen states, including Florida, Iowa and Missouri, have either lifted or never implemented statewide mask mandates, leaving it up to counties to implement the rules, with Montana being the latest state to do so.

Arkansas has lifted almost all of its restrictions, and a number of other states have already reopened completely, including Iowa, Missouri (with county-wide exceptions) and Florida.

Source: These are the states reopening, rolling back mask mandates amid coronavirus pandemic

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 11:47 am

According to the coronavirus vaccine tracker, the U.S. has now administered 75.24 million vaccine doses with around 22.5% of the U.S. population vaccinated (with at least one dose). In the United States an average of 1.74 million doses were injected daily.

Globally 241.13 million vaccine doses have been given with the U.S., China and U.K. in the top three positions. India is slowly catching up. India is now administering nearly a half a million doses each day.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 9:26 pm

According to the coronavirus vaccine tracker, the U.S. has now administered 82.57 million vaccine doses with around 24.7% of the U.S. population vaccinated (with at least one dose). In the United States an average of 2.04 million doses were injected daily.

Globally 279.87 million vaccine doses have been given with the U.S., China and U.K. in the top three positions. India will pass the U.K. in the next few days and enter third place. India is administering vaccines to almost twice as many people per day as the U.K.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 6:16 am

Two Mask are Better than One?

Japanese supercomputer simulations showed that wearing two masks gave limited benefit in blocking viral spread compared with one properly fitted mask. The findings in part contradict recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that two masks were better than one at reducing a person's exposure to the coronavirus.

Researchers used the Fugaku supercomputer to model the flow of virus particles from people wearing different types and combinations of masks, according to a study released on Thursday by research giant Riken and Kobe University.

Using a single surgical-type mask, made of non-woven material, had 85% effectiveness in blocking particles when worn tightly around the nose and face. Adding a polyurethane mask on top boosted the effectiveness to just 89%.

Wearing two non-woven masks isn't useful because air resistance builds up and causes leakage around the edges. "The performance of double masking simply does not add up," wrote the researchers, led by Makoto Tsubokura. n general, professional grade N95 masks were the best in protecting against infection, followed by non-woven masks, cloth masks, and finally polyurethane types, the study showed.

Source: Japan supercomputer shows doubling masks offers little help preventing viral spread

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Mar 2021, 6:25 am

Third wave here.

Excess deaths reached 100% at the peak of the second wave (country-wide), then stabilised at 50%. Awaiting more data.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 6:51 am

Those Left Behind

In Kansas City, Missouri, 75-year-old Pat Brown knows she needs the vaccine because her asthma and diabetes put her at higher risk of serious COVID-19 complications. But Brown hasn’t attempted to schedule an appointment and didn’t even know if they were being offered in her area yet; she says she is too overwhelmed.

"I don’t have no car, and it’s hard for me to get around places. I just don’t like to go to clinics and have to wait because you have to wait so long," Brown said, adding that she is in constant pain because of spinal arthritis. "I couldn’t do it. My back would give out...and I don’t have the money to take a cab."

The pandemic has also closed senior centers, libraries and churches — all places where older Americans might remain visible in their communities and get information about the vaccine. And some public health departments at first relied on mass emails and text messages to alert residents they were eligible, thereby missing huge chunks of the senior population.

"Do you think everyone has internet access? Do you really think everyone has email?" Denise LaBuda, spokeswoman for the Council on Aging of Central Oregon, said. "We just don’t know where they all are. They have to raise their hand — and how do they raise their hand?"

Source: COVID-19 vaccine bypasses some older adults

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 3:17 pm

Covid-19 death rates 10 times higher in countries where most adults are overweight, report finds

Quote:
The risk of death from Covid-19 is about 10 times higher in countries where most of the population is overweight, according to a report released Wednesday by the World Obesity Federation.

Researchers found that by the end of 2020, global Covid-19 death rates were more than 10 times higher in countries where more than half the adults are overweight, compared to countries where fewer than half are overweight.

The team examined mortality data from Johns Hopkins University (JHU) and the World Health Organization (WHO) and found that of 2.5 million Covid-19 deaths reported by the end of February, 2.2 million were in countries where more than half the population is overweight.

In an analysis of data and studies from more than 160 countries, the researchers found that Covid-19 mortality rates increased along with countries' prevalence of obesity. They note that the link persisted even after adjusting for age and national wealth.

The report found that every country where less than 40% of the population was overweight had a low Covid-19 death rate of no more than 10 people per 100,000.

But in countries where more than 50% of the population was overweight, the Covid-19 death rate was much higher -- more than 100 per 100,000.

In the US, where 152.49 deaths were recorded per 100,000 people, 67.9% of the adult population is overweight, according to the report.

Age is the predominant factor affecting risk of hospitalisation and death from Covid-19, but the report finds that being overweight comes a close second.

The researchers say that being overweight can also worsen other health issues and viral infections, like H1N1, flu and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

The research comes following multiple reports to date which suggest that being overweight or obese can increase the risk of dying from Covid-19. Being overweight is defined by having a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25-29.9 kg/m², while obesity is defined as a BMI over 30 kg/m².

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 6:57 am

CDC study finds in-person dining bans and wearing masks make a difference

Quote:
As a growing number of governors move to relax public health restrictions with the recent dip in COVID-19 cases, new research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns that lifting such measures could result in a new wave of cases and deaths.

In the agency's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, CDC researchers said Friday that mask mandates imposed in states last year were associated with a nearly 2% decrease in the rate of newly reported COVID-19 deaths in the 100 days after the rules were implemented.

For states that allowed restaurants to reopen for in-person dining, the rate of new COVID-19 deaths increased by up to 3% in the months following the lifting of those restrictions.

Dr. Walensky pointed out the report was not the first to conclude such measures could curb the COVID-19 pandemic. Just last month, the CDC concluded the rate of new COVID-19 hospitalizations of adults 18-64 years old declined 5.6% after some statewide mask mandates were put in place.

"I think we've known that restaurants have led to cases, have led to clusters," added the director.

For weeks, federal health officials have warned that country's recent drop in COVID-19 cases has stalled. Though cases have plummeted in recent weeks after surging to record highs over the winter holiday season, CDC data show cases still remain far higher than the first peak of the pandemic last April.

At Friday's press conference, White House chief medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci pointed to spikes seen recently in Europe after cases there had appeared to level off. He said transmission in the U.S. remained at a pace that was still concerning.

"That plateau is about 60 to 70 thousand cases a day. When you have that much of viral activity, in a plateau, it almost invariably means that you are at risk for another spike," said Dr. Fauci.

Dr. Christopher Murray, director of the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, said Friday that the CDC's conclusions lined up with the institute's own findings on the relationship between masks, mandates, and transmission.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman