Page 422 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425 ... 535  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jul 2020, 3:55 am

Yes, Makkah would have easily become another Covid hot spot if they didn't lock it, it would be impossible to control all the pilgrims from all around the world.
I hope your brother just gets the mild form and gets well soon!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 7:29 am

I echo Magz’s sentiment. I hope his case is as mild as my case was, or even milder.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 1:43 pm

Pfizer said Wednesday it has signed a $1.95 billion pact to provide the U.S. government with 100 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. Americans will receive the vaccine for free, the pharmaceutical company said.

The deal for the vaccine, which is being developed with BioNTech, includes the right to purchase up to an additional 500 million doses, Pfizer said in a statement. Pfizer said it's on track to start the next safety and efficacy trial later this month, and is aiming to seek regulatory review as early as October. It could manufacture up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020, it added.

Source: Pfizer in pact to provide U.S. with 100 million COVID-19 vaccine doses

The New York Times has a Coronavirus Vaccine Tracker which it updates regularly. Here is a link:
Coronavirus Vaccine Tracker Researchers are currently working on approximately 165 vaccines worldwide. This resource provides current status on these vaccines.

The site lists the following status on the Pfizer vaccine:

The German company BioNTech has entered into collaborations with Pfizer, based in New York, and the Chinese drug maker Fosun Pharma to develop their mRNA vaccine. In July, they posted preliminary results from their Phase I/II trials in the United States and Germany. They found that the volunteers produced antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, as well as immune cells called T cells that respond to the virus. Some volunteers experienced moderate side effects such as sleep disturbances and sore arms.

The company expects to start Phase III trials by the end of July. On July 22, the Trump administration awarded a $1.9 billion contract for 100 million doses to be delivered by December and the option to acquire 500 million more doses. If approved, Pfizer said they expect to manufacture over 1.3 billion doses of their vaccine by the end of 2021.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jul 2020, 2:25 pm

^(option to acquired another 500 million doses) Why would they need so many more doses than there are people in the US? 100 million I can understand and not everyone would necessarily want to have the vaccine.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Andoras
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2020, 2:45 pm

Well, well, well, the time finally came:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-ad ... 8e681df77e

also Bolsonaro's third coronavirus test became positive too:
https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news ... d86d2806bb

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 3:03 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
^(option to acquired another 500 million doses) Why would they need so many more doses than there are people in the US? 100 million I can understand and not everyone would necessarily want to have the vaccine.

The way the U.S. government creates contracts, some contracts are often written open ended. In other words, they cite a minimal procurement such as a 100 million doses but then add a clause to allow additional procurements without competition. It is a streamlined follow-up procurement if the need arises for more doses. The 500 million is an upper end cap. If more than 500 million doses (over the original 100 million doses) are required it would need to go through an entirely new contract and all the procurement paperwork all over again.

Andoras

22 Jul 2020, 3:26 pm

I'm wondering how durable immunity will the vaccine provide against the coronavirus since the natural immunity doesn't seem durable enough.
Let me share an example from Hungary. In mid-march 5 Hungarian swimmers had tested positive for coronavirus, the Hungarian government of healthcare launched its blood plasma therapy in early May and none of the earlier infected swimmers had enough antibody in their blood plasma for donation. :(

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 5:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I echo Magz’s sentiment. I hope his case is as mild as my case was, or even milder.

i'm so glad you got through that! :D

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 5:50 pm

Andoras wrote:
I'm wondering how durable immunity will the vaccine provide against the coronavirus since the natural immunity doesn't seem durable enough.
Let me share an example from Hungary. In mid-march 5 Hungarian swimmers had tested positive for coronavirus, the Hungarian government of healthcare launched its blood plasma therapy in early May and none of the earlier infected swimmers had enough antibody in their blood plasma for donation. :(

wow that is such a specific example.. what an ominous...thing...i cant find the words..

it seems it evolves into various strains...?? i hate that evolution works against us inevitably and faster than we can keep up in the case of viruses

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 5:51 pm

Andoras wrote:
Well, well, well, the time finally came:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-ad ... 8e681df77e

also Bolsonaro's third coronavirus test became positive too:
https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news ... d86d2806bb

you know what's creepy is on another forum some members shared how they or their friends tested negative initially and it was an error and they actually had it/... i mean they thought they were free to carry on and they unwittingly must have spread it more than if they had known..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 6:38 pm

Maybe they’ll give the “excess doses” to places like Brazil?

I believe all the world should have equal access to the vaccine. No political bullcrap!

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 6:52 pm

^ not everyone was born like you
most people are horrible and politicize anything
born bullies
that's why i believe supposedly more severe autistics, on the humanity and moral side, they are the most gifted (born so)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 9:19 pm

When I went to my doctors appointment today, I asked about the antibody test (the test where you can tell if you had the virus, also called the serology tests). He strongly recommended not trying to get this test because it is very, very unreliable. Too many false positive and false negatives. Its like rolling a dice. On the other hand the test to determine if you currently have the virus (called the viral test) is fairly reliable.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 10:01 pm

Many vaccines, including a bunch of the covid ones in testing, or given in 2 separate doses a month apart. So, 100M doses + an option to buy another 500M doses = treatment for 300M ppl - that’s not even enough to treat every American so shouldn’t be any leftover doses to give away to others.

I bet that’s the case - 2 dose treatment protocol - and they’re only bothering with 300M because they already know there are a bunch of anti-vaxx covidiots that will refuse to get vaccinated + Millions of uninsured/poor people they don’t intend to let have it anyways.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 12:43 am

Pfizer, and other manufacturers, really should produce 10 billion doses for the entire world. All people deserve protection. The US shouldn’t hoard all of it for itself.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 1:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Pfizer, and other manufacturers, really should produce 10 billion doses for the entire world. All people deserve protection. The US shouldn’t hoard all of it for itself.

No country should hoard any of the working vaccines. I’ve signed a couple of petitions, one of them from Doctors Without Borders, demanding that governments commit to making any covid vaccines available to everyone - even poor countries and people who cannot pay.