Page 194 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 535  Next

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:06 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
Since it appears bleach and Lysol are off limits, I found this list from the Environmental Protection Agency that has a lot of possible alternatives, and still isn't an all inclusive list.

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registrat ... sars-cov-2

Scientifically, rubbing with soap and water is the best killer.

Viruses have lipid in their outer layer, and soap plugs its lipid molecules and a water molecule, tearing the virus in the process. This how soap removes grease too.

CDC reccomends using soap to clean off dirt as step one then step two using a disinfectant such as bleach or one of the above-mentioned.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:08 pm

Do you refer specifically to soap, as in bar of soap, or does dish detergent do the same thing?
Not joking.
By the way, why no bleach or Lysol?
Again, not joking.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:10 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Do you refer specifically to soap, as in bar of soap, or does dish detergent do the same thing?
Not joking.
Again, not joking.

Soap in general does that.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:11 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Not joking.
Again, not joking.

I think a dish detergent does the same thing, it works like soap most likely.

But it's not made for the skin.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:31 pm

All soap is essentially the same thing, Sylkat. Shampoo is basically the same as dish soap. It's just a matter of how they prepare it in different products, so it won't dry the skin.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 5:30 pm

The silver thing makes sense!! Because my grand mother taught my mom (who tried to tell me but I never listened) that if you've been cooking with garlic --
After washing and drying your hands, you must rub silver cutlery with your hands back and front of hands to get rid of the odour.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 5:39 pm

Thank you so much, guys; I am getting a bit overwhelmed with all that’s going on....I really appreciate WP...I am not handing all this as well as I would have thought I could.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 5:47 pm

My sons nurse mehri told me that her mom is in Iran andscared and depressed as she lives alone and is v lonely as she is isolating f
Because the GOVERNMENT didn't enforve anything.

She also told me of a real patient here who called the dr saying she wassick but by that she meant : 'im talking to the walls I think im losing my mind' -but the doxtor said 'unless the walls start talking back you are fine'.

I can't imagine the loneliness many people are ferling who live by themselves. I'm actually lucky to have nurse coming and 2 kids because otherwise I would be very depressed and anxious. Actually XH also lives with family so he also is lucky. Same with my brothers all 3 of them are in one house.

I hope my brother is checking up on the elderly next door neighbour. She is from Germany and a widow since last year. She always checks up on them and me if Im over and is so caring. But i can imagine the elders feeling exceptionally scared an anxious with the news and if they are living alone.... And her daughter lives in USA. So she has no family close by

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:03 pm

The summer Olympics have been postponed to next year.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:06 pm

Because of the toilet paper shortage, people are improvising. Some are cutting up old material into rags and flushing them down the toilet. Others are using wipes instead of toilet paper. These are really, really bad ideas. Rags and wipes do not biodegrade. They are currently clogging up sewer lines. And if there is one thing worse than not having toilet paper it is having a clogged sewer line and then when you flush your toilet, to have all that excrement flood out of the toilet all over your floor. It can almost make your house unliveable.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:14 pm

As someone who just had two sewage backups of public black water into my house, I agree with jimmy.

Mine wasn't caused by negligence, it was from a damaged pipe outdoors, but I was thinking the same thing: some people are going to learn the hard way about plumbing.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:20 pm

Thank you so much for bringing that up; it is important!
I have lived in a trailer for the last 3 years.
During the walk-through, the manager explained that NO toilet paper is EVER flushed down a trailer’s toilet, much less feminine products or Kleenex.
When TP is used, it is always put into the trash, usually a lidded container, and emptied daily.
Frankly, this is one of the new rules that need to be widely implemented, as people are going to use any paper or fabric products that they can obtain!

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:32 pm

It was quite common to see newspaper pages used as toilet paper in the 1960s, and I don't recall any reports of any ill effects. Maybe today's sewage and disposal systems are not so robust?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:35 pm

The new toilets are crap, no pun intended. They don't have strong enough water pressure or water capacity because of environmental standards. Also most people's pipes are starting to decay because of age, in areas which were settled in the 1950s or sooner.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:40 pm

^ That's very much the impression I've got. I bought my present house from a lady who'd lived there since (at least) the 1950s,and it's still got her bathroom fixtures, which must date from at least that time. Not sure how long I can go before having to replace the lot...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:42 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:

I hope it doesn't turn into another USA with the ventilators issue. I hope there's a way to mass produce those medical essentials here that gets approval. Maybe there can even be a way to send to US states that need it more like NY.

Over here in Australia, because we don't have the manufacturing capabilities, and because other countries generally hoard them for their own countrymen (and women :wink: ), they are looking into using veterinary ventilators.

There is a caveat, however.
The patients need to be small,
And/or have a very long muzzle. Err. 8O

Joking aside, this is actually being looked into.