Page 195 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 535  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:42 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:

I hope it doesn't turn into another USA with the ventilators issue. I hope there's a way to mass produce those medical essentials here that gets approval. Maybe there can even be a way to send to US states that need it more like NY.

Over here in Australia, because we don't have the manufacturing capabilities, and because other countries generally hoard them for their own countrymen (and women :wink: ), they are looking into using veterinary ventilators.

There is a caveat, however.
The patients need to be small,
And/or have a very long muzzle. Err. 8O

Joking aside, this is actually being looked into.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:42 pm

Apple has secured 10 million masks for U.S. health care workers and is donating millions more to countries globally as the coronavirus pandemic continues to spread and strain manufacturing chains for the medical supplies.

Tim Cook, the tech giant's CEO, announced the news in a video tweeted out Wednesday afternoon. The video was filmed from Cook's home.

Source: Apple secures 10 million masks for US health care workers

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:43 pm

Word to the wise. Have your sewage line snaked with a camera. It's much easier to prevent than to repair your entire house after it floats in black water, as I'm having to do. (Actually, the repair is postponed because of COVID. So yeah .... ) :cry:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:57 pm

jimmy m wrote:

Testing is constantly available to politicians so unlike the general populace they are unlikely to be undiagosed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Mar 2020, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:01 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Do you refer specifically to soap, as in bar of soap, or does dish detergent do the same thing?
Not joking.
By the way, why no bleach or Lysol?
Again, not joking.

Any soap, just be sure to scrub for at least 20 seconds before washing.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:06 pm

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:10 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
The silver thing makes sense!! Because my grand mother taught my mom (who tried to tell me but I never listened) that if you've been cooking with garlic --
After washing and drying your hands, you must rub silver cutlery with your hands back and front of hands to get rid of the odour.

I remember someone in the media mentioned the same "removal of odour" could be achieved simply by rubbing your hands on the metal sink.
I think this was in reference to onion smells, but I am assuming the same applies to garlic.

jimmy m wrote:
Because of the toilet paper shortage, people are improvising. Some are cutting up old material into rags and flushing them down the toilet. Others are using wipes instead of toilet paper. These are really, really bad ideas. Rags and wipes do not biodegrade. They are currently clogging up sewer lines. And if there is one thing worse than not having toilet paper it is having a clogged sewer line and then when you flush your toilet, to have all that excrement flood out of the toilet all over your floor. It can almost make your house unliveable.

There have been reports that here in Oz, there have been many calls for plumbers because people are flushing wipes and paper towels when they shouldn't.
Time to buy shares in the "Plumber's R Us". :mrgreen:

Last edited by Pepe on 25 Mar 2020, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:21 pm

In the Northern California city of Redding, wastewater management officials said Thursday that someone apparently used shredded T-shirts in place of toilet paper, causing a sewer backup.

The soiled T-shirts caused pumps in one of the city's sewer lines to clog at a lift station, which could have led to a dangerous spill, the Record Searchlight reported.

Redding officials said the incident showed why it's important to avoid flushing anything other than toilet paper.

"Clogs in the sewer system can cause fecal matter to back up into showers, toilets and sinks, putting the community at large at risk for another health crisis," the city said in a statement.

Wastewater officials said that if people use anything in the bathroom other than toilet paper, they should, "Bag it. Don't flush it."

Days after that plea, officials in Napa shared what people flushing wet wipes had done to the area's sewer system.

In a Facebook post, the Napa Sanitation District said Monday that a large mound of wet wipes had to be cleaned from a single screen at the district's pump station.

"We know that wipes are a tricky item- especially with packaging that labels many wipes as 'flushable.' We just want to be sure we clear up any confusion and share that there are no truly flushable wipes," they wrote.

Source: Coronavirus fuels toilet paper buying spree, California officials implore people not to flush t-shirts, wipes

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:27 pm

I posted about this 2 times before, but seeing the above post, here's a link

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/osman-sha ... _23383507/

:oops:
Super embarrassing but it may help someone at least use less toilet paper.

You can also get the handheld 'showers' for this like they have in the middle east, but I'm guessing it is unfeasible and expensive for most people.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:34 pm

Pepe wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:

I hope it doesn't turn into another USA with the ventilators issue. I hope there's a way to mass produce those medical essentials here that gets approval. Maybe there can even be a way to send to US states that need it more like NY.

Over here in Australia, because we don't have the manufacturing capabilities, and because other countries generally hoard them for their own countrymen (and women :wink: ), they are looking into using veterinary ventilators.

There is a caveat, however.
The patients need to be small,
And/or have a very long muzzle. Err. 8O

Joking aside, this is actually being looked into.

In New York the governor was talking about splitting the ventilators, 1 used for 2 patients.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:37 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Basically just think that everyone and everything outside your home has been dipped in poo.
It’s nasty, don’t touch.
Must sterilize.
Sterilize the intruder.

That is *my* approach.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:43 pm

'Game-changer': Britain days away from releasing millions of coronavirus finger prick tests

London: The British government is just "days" away from releasing 3.5 million self-administered finger prick tests that could prove a game-changer in easing the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

The tests will likely be stocked in retailers like Boots, a major pharmacy chain in the United Kingdom, and available to order online via Amazon, however the first stage of the rollout will be reserved for doctors, nurses and other essential workers.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/gam ... 54dyy.html

There Are Four Lights!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 7:47 pm

All work and no play makes Issy a dull girl.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:05 pm

jimmy m wrote:
The naysayers, disbelievers and rule-breakers in the global fight against COVID-19 have been honored with a new term describing their dimwitted defiance: “Covidiot.”

Urban Dictionary’s most popular, recent definition of “covidiot” defines the offender as “someone who ignores the warnings regarding public health or safety” during the worldwide coronavirus outbreak.

Fortunately, 97% will recover, in 20 years or so. :mrgreen:

Darmok wrote:
[i]'Game-changer': Britain days away from releasing millions of coronavirus finger prick tests

Not much good to me, here in OZ.

The other thing to consider:
Do I go out to get one, if Australia can supply, and risk picking up "The Bug" on the way?
If they deliver, do I have enough Glen 20 to sanitize the packaging, inside and out? :chin: :mrgreen:

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:10 pm

Seriously if everyone coming back from March break actually listens and isn't a selfish fool, I hope this thing will die off by mid-April....

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:11 pm

The special material that I ordered came in today. My wife quickly assembled four face mask using this material so I could experiment with it.

The material is Red Anti-tarnish Kenized Silver Cloth. The concept here is instead of using the mask to filter coronaviruses, it is designed to kill deader-than-a-doornail any coronaviruses that try and enter/exit through the mask. Just like a silver spoon can kill bacteria this fabric can kill biological material trying to pass through the mask. At least that is the theory.

Silver cloth is a fabric material used to prevent tarnish on sterling silver and silverplate items while they are in storage. According to the Society of American Silversmiths website, tarnish occurs when sulfur compounds in the atmosphere, principally hydrogen sulfide, chemically react with the silver. Other common sources of sulfur compounds include wool, felt, gasoline, motor oil, latex gloves or carpet padding, and certain foods such as eggs, onions and mayonnaise.

Silver cloth is impregnated with microscopic particles of silver or zinc. The metal particles in the cloth attract and absorb sulfur compounds before they can reach the silver item being stored. Silver cloth is a flannel-like fabric. Silver cloth will stay effective for about 20 years before it becomes saturated. The fabric goes through the Kenizing process which gives the fabric it's anti-tarnish properties.

One of the processes for manufacturing silver cloth is the Kenized process, which is the brand name of the chemical process. This process embeds the fabric with flakes of silver, but also flakes of other metals such as copper and brass. The fabric maintains its anti tarnish qualities so long as it is not washed.

Anyways it sounds like an interesting fabric for a DIY face mask. So I bought a couple yards of the material and will beg and plead with my wife to make one for me so I can experiment with it.

[I went from concept 22 March, to ordering material, to receiving the material, to prototype mask fabrication in 3 days. Must be some kind of record!]