Page 196 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 535  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:11 pm

The special material that I ordered came in today. My wife quickly assembled four face mask using this material so I could experiment with it.

The material is Red Anti-tarnish Kenized Silver Cloth. The concept here is instead of using the mask to filter coronaviruses, it is designed to kill deader-than-a-doornail any coronaviruses that try and enter/exit through the mask. Just like a silver spoon can kill bacteria this fabric can kill biological material trying to pass through the mask. At least that is the theory.

Silver cloth is a fabric material used to prevent tarnish on sterling silver and silverplate items while they are in storage. According to the Society of American Silversmiths website, tarnish occurs when sulfur compounds in the atmosphere, principally hydrogen sulfide, chemically react with the silver. Other common sources of sulfur compounds include wool, felt, gasoline, motor oil, latex gloves or carpet padding, and certain foods such as eggs, onions and mayonnaise.

Silver cloth is impregnated with microscopic particles of silver or zinc. The metal particles in the cloth attract and absorb sulfur compounds before they can reach the silver item being stored. Silver cloth is a flannel-like fabric. Silver cloth will stay effective for about 20 years before it becomes saturated. The fabric goes through the Kenizing process which gives the fabric it's anti-tarnish properties.

One of the processes for manufacturing silver cloth is the Kenized process, which is the brand name of the chemical process. This process embeds the fabric with flakes of silver, but also flakes of other metals such as copper and brass. The fabric maintains its anti tarnish qualities so long as it is not washed.

Anyways it sounds like an interesting fabric for a DIY face mask. So I bought a couple yards of the material and will beg and plead with my wife to make one for me so I can experiment with it.

[I went from concept 22 March, to ordering material, to receiving the material, to prototype mask fabrication in 3 days. Must be some kind of record!]

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:14 pm

Brilliant! ^ I have silver cloth here somewhere for my tea service.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:32 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
Seriously if everyone coming back from March break actually listens and isn't a selfish fool, I hope this thing will die off by mid-April....

Young people not being selfish fools?
Hardly.

Yes, yes, I know.
I have been plugging this for some time.
I am sounding very age-ist.

But the boot *is* on the other foot, now.
How do you like it, you pimply-faced, boomer hating, youngsters? :mrgreen:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 9:15 pm

Alcohol may have been involved.
https://ruinmyweek.com/tattoos/coronavirus-tattoos/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 10:05 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
Since it appears bleach and Lysol are off limits, I found this list from the Environmental Protection Agency that has a lot of possible alternatives, and still isn't an all inclusive list.

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registrat ... sars-cov-2

Scientifically, rubbing with soap and water is the best killer.

Viruses have lipid in their outer layer, and soap plugs its lipid molecules and a water molecule, tearing the virus in the process. This how soap removes grease too.

That's interesting. When I get home I scrub up like I see surgeons do using antibacterial bar soap and a brush. I think it's important to make sure fingernails are clean. A nice thorough scrubbing gives me a feeling of satisfaction.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 10:52 pm

DeepHour wrote:
It was quite common to see newspaper pages used as toilet paper in the 1960s, and I don't recall any reports of any ill effects. Maybe today's sewage and disposal systems are not so robust?

You are kidding, right? Newspaper pages are fine wiping material, people just don't flush them down the toilet. You discard them as trash. Basic common sense.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 11:48 pm

I went with my cousin to the local convenience store. I stayed in the car. And observed lots of the usual druggie types congregating around the entrance and also piled in a beat up suv. Which I'm sure happens all day and night there and other locations throughout the city.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 12:06 am

EzraS wrote:
I went with my cousin to the local convenience store. I stayed in the car. And observed lots of the usual druggie types congregating around the entrance and also piled in a beat up suv. Which I'm sure happens all day and night there and other locations throughout the city.

I don't know about Washington state. You might have some exemptions, anyway. In California having two people in the car is discouraged. Depending on the mood of the police, it might even be illegal, unless the passenger sits diagonally in the back away from the driver. (The basic rule is: 6 feet apart.)

My wife has a pharmacist relative working in a pharmacy in Orange County. Today, four of the pharm techs went out for boba. On the way back they were caught by the police. Each was fined US$1,000. Ouch!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 12:15 am

The cops don't seem to do much regarding the druggies and homeless here in the Seattle / Puget Sound area. In the past it was deemed politically incorrect by city councils for the police to try controlling them, so they basically run rampant. Funny thing is the main police station is right next to that convenience store. I often see cops in there buying stuff.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 12:26 am

EzraS wrote:
The cops don't seem to do much regarding the druggies and homeless here in the Seattle / Puget Sound area. In the past it was deemed politically incorrect by city councils for the police to try controlling them, so they basically run rampant. Funny thing is the main police station is right next to that convenience store. I often see cops in there buying stuff.

Weed, or meth? :mrgreen:

News flash!
Video coming soon!

Quote:
Doctors slam ‘appalling’ decision to allow some elective surgeries

Surgeons have slammed a decision by national cabinet that will allow private hospitals to continue some non-urgent elective surgeries. It comes as the...

Quote:
Drones may be used to detect virus as new test kits on way

An Australian-invented pandemic drone could be employed to scan workplaces and crowds, as a new COVID-19 test kit that returns results in 15 minutes i...

Quote:
How Sydney and Melbourne were slow to react to virus spread

New data about Australians’ movements shows Sydney and Melbourne are finally taking social-distancing directions seriously — but it’s taken weeks to a...

Quote:
Aussie stocks rise again as Wall St rallies

Australian shares have rallied for a third straight day after a massive US stimulus deal sent Wall Street and global markets soaring.

Quote:
Wealthiest suburbs revealed as coronavirus hotspots
Viral clusters are forming in Melbourne’s most affluent areas as data reveals for the first time the number of coronavirus cases in every council acro...

Quote:
Graphs that show Australia’s slow reaction to COVID-19
New data about Australians’ movements shows Australian cities are finally taking social-distancing directions seriously — but we are way behind other ...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 12:55 am

/\When the drone detects a viral person it sprays them with Lysol.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 12:59 am

Misslizard wrote:

Have a feeling it's going to be more like this.

There Are Four Lights!

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 1:09 am

NY is only the beginning of the war.

California and Florida will be hit next.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 1:32 am

Pepe wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Weed, or meth? :mrgreen:

News flash!
Video coming soon!

Ha why buy when you can "confiscate"?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 1:40 am

Misslizard wrote:

No,
The drones are equipped with a disintegration ray gun.
And this will be used on anyone under 30.

An ambulance will be sent out for the others. :wink:

<serious mode on>
More about how the death rates are unrealistically high because of people catching "it", recovering, and not being aware of it.

Some are estimating that 50% of the UK population have been or are affected by the coronavirus, which is good news in terms of a lot of people running around with immunity, helping the herd immunity goal.

The only effective way, of determining who has/had the disease, is through testing the level of antibodies.

<serious mode off>

Personally, after speculating *precisely* about the number of people overcoming the disease without knowing they had it, for an extended period, I am coming to grips with exactly how damn well brilliant I am. :mrgreen:

Is it truly a form of narcissism if I have fallen in deep, deep love with my brain? :scratch:
And if so,
Is it really a bad thing to have blessed the world with my gift? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 1:43 am

Darmok wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Have a feeling it's going to be more like this.

That too. :mrgreen: