Page 418 of 432 [ 6900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421 ... 432  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,750
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Jul 2020, 5:41 am

Glad to see you back, Magz.



Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,576
Location: Where angels do not fear to tread.

13 Jul 2020, 5:56 am

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Can children contract the virus and bring it home to their households?

If so, then it seems like the US will have an explosion in new cases in a few months?


Yes and almost certainly.


That's what happened in Israel and things are completely out of control now with more people infected than ever before. It's a Catch 22 when the kids are at home people can't work, when they go to school Corona spreads like wildfire. We opened bars restaurants and schools, now things are being closed again. Young people believe that they will not be seriously affected and are ignoring social distancing.


_________________
My best will just have to be good enough.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,170
Location: Poland

13 Jul 2020, 6:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Glad to see you back, Magz.

I was on internet-free holidays :)


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,750
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Jul 2020, 6:43 am

The Internet is always a great source for knowledge....but, sometimes, I can use a vacation from social media-type interactions.

I certainly hope deaths don’t exponentially increase in areas like Texas, California, Florida.



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,170
Location: Poland

13 Jul 2020, 6:47 am

Teach51 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Can children contract the virus and bring it home to their households?

If so, then it seems like the US will have an explosion in new cases in a few months?


Yes and almost certainly.


That's what happened in Israel and things are completely out of control now with more people infected than ever before. It's a Catch 22 when the kids are at home people can't work, when they go to school Corona spreads like wildfire. We opened bars restaurants and schools, now things are being closed again. Young people believe that they will not be seriously affected and are ignoring social distancing.

Israel was doing really well but now there's the second wave, greater than the previous one... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/israel/

We ended the term with remote schooling supplemented by hygienically paranoid partially open kintergartens and schools for kids under 10 whose parents needed it. I wonder what September will look like.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,170
Location: Poland

13 Jul 2020, 6:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Internet is always a great source for knowledge....but, sometimes, I can use a vacation from social media-type interactions.
A week or two in a nice place and without a laptop can help regain some internal balance.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I certainly hope deaths don’t exponentially increase in areas like Texas, California, Florida.
Let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,576
Location: Where angels do not fear to tread.

13 Jul 2020, 11:56 am

magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Can children contract the virus and bring it home to their households?

If so, then it seems like the US will have an explosion in new cases in a few months?


Yes and almost certainly.


That's what happened in Israel and things are completely out of control now with more people infected than ever before. It's a Catch 22 when the kids are at home people can't work, when they go to school Corona spreads like wildfire. We opened bars restaurants and schools, now things are being closed again. Young people believe that they will not be seriously affected and are ignoring social distancing.

Israel was doing really well but now there's the second wave, greater than the previous one... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/israel/

We ended the term with remote schooling supplemented by hygienically paranoid partially open kintergartens and schools for kids under 10 whose parents needed it. I wonder what September will look like.


I hope things will go well in Poland :heart: . Things are complete chaos in my country now.


_________________
My best will just have to be good enough.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,170
Location: Poland

13 Jul 2020, 12:09 pm

Teach51 wrote:
I hope things will go well in Poland :heart: . Things are complete chaos in my country now.

Not bad here. Most businesses work with various additional hygiene requirements - you have to wear a mask indoors in public space like stores, hand sanitisers are everywhere and you are required to use them when entering places like supermarkets or dentists but otherwise life is largely normal. Keeping constant rate of about 300 new cases and about 10 deaths daily for months now, which is entirely manageable in a 37.8 million country.
Schools are a big unknown, currently we're enjoying summer vacations but on September the epidemics won't be over, we need to develop some long-term solutions there.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,576
Location: Where angels do not fear to tread.

13 Jul 2020, 12:31 pm

magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
I hope things will go well in Poland :heart: . Things are complete chaos in my country now.

Not bad here. Most businesses work with various additional hygiene requirements - you have to wear a mask indoors in public space like stores, hand sanitisers are everywhere and you are required to use them when entering places like supermarkets or dentists but otherwise life is largely normal. Keeping constant rate of about 300 new cases and about 10 deaths daily for months now, which is entirely manageable in a 37.8 million country.
Schools are a big unknown, currently we're enjoying summer vacations but on September the epidemics won't be over, we need to develop some long-term solutions there.


We had 1,300 new cases today in a country of 7 million. In May it was down to 15 confirmed cases per day. Then we opened schools and malls, bars and restaurants all at once.


_________________
My best will just have to be good enough.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,170
Location: Poland

13 Jul 2020, 1:00 pm

Teach51 wrote:
magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
I hope things will go well in Poland :heart: . Things are complete chaos in my country now.

Not bad here. Most businesses work with various additional hygiene requirements - you have to wear a mask indoors in public space like stores, hand sanitisers are everywhere and you are required to use them when entering places like supermarkets or dentists but otherwise life is largely normal. Keeping constant rate of about 300 new cases and about 10 deaths daily for months now, which is entirely manageable in a 37.8 million country.
Schools are a big unknown, currently we're enjoying summer vacations but on September the epidemics won't be over, we need to develop some long-term solutions there.

We had 1,300 new cases today in a country of 7 million. In May it was down to 15 confirmed cases per day. Then we opened schools and malls, bars and restaurants all at once.

I think the "all at once" part was the problem. People could easily interpret it as a signal that the epidemics was over - it wasn't. Gradual reopening with restrictions probably wouldn't have had this psychological effect, at least not so strong.

I hope you're staying safe!


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,618
Location: Long Island, New York

13 Jul 2020, 3:44 pm

Newsom orders closure of indoor activities across California as coronavirus cases increase

Quote:
California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday ordered a halt to indoor activities at certain businesses statewide as cases of coronavirus surge in the country’s most populous state.

Newsom, a Democrat, announced during a press briefing that all bars across the state must close up shop and that restaurants, wineries, tasting rooms, family entertainment centers, zoos, museums and card rooms must suspend indoor activities.

The governor also announced that all gyms, places of worship, malls, personal care services, barbershops, salons, and non-critical offices in counties on the state’s “monitoring list” had to shut down under the new order. The order affects more than 30 counties which are home to about 80 percent of California’s population.

"We've made this point on multiple occasions and that is, we're moving back into a modification mode of our original stay-at-home order," Newsom said during his press briefing. "This continues to be a deadly disease.”

As of Monday, the state had reported more than 320,000 COVID-19 cases and more than 7,000 deaths, with 23 people dying from the virus since Sunday. Los Angeles County – the country’s most populous county – leads both the state and the country in number of confirmed COVID-19 cases with more than 133,000, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.

In March, California became the first state to impose a mandatory stay-at-home order to slow the spread of the virus. Public health officials praised the state's quick action, marveling at how the nation's most populous state kept its cases and hospitalizations low while states like New York and New Jersey struggled to contain the highly contagious disease.

By late April, Newsom -- under increasing pressure – began allowing businesses and activities to resume, citing the state's increased hospital capacity to handle a new surge of cases. Cases began rising in early June and have exploded since, increasing 48 percent in the past two weeks, while hospitalizations have increased 40 percent.
Arizona seeing surge in coronavirus cases

Newsom’s announcement comes just hours after the state’s two largest school districts, Los Angeles and San Diego, announced they will not reopen for in-person instruction when the 2020-21 academic year begins next month. The districts said they will plan for in-person learning as health conditions allow.

Also on Monday, the World Health Organization warns that the pandemic is worsening globally and things won’t return to “the old normal” for some time.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,134
Location: Aux Arcs

13 Jul 2020, 4:53 pm

Hardly anyone wearing masks in the grocery store,just the employees and maybe 10% of customers.So I called the corporate office.Turns out it’s store policy that ALL people are to wear masks or they can’t enter.Our store isn’t enforcing it.
Two other business with no masks on.
Tried to call the Governor, but his answering service is full and can’t take anymore messages.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,970

13 Jul 2020, 5:13 pm

15,000 NEW cases in 24 hours in Florida. Infection rate around 11% of those tested. :(


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,750
Location: Queens, NYC

14 Jul 2020, 2:16 am

In April, there were days when the positivity rate was 70% in NYC. They were mostly testing rather serious cases back then.



Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,576
Location: Where angels do not fear to tread.

14 Jul 2020, 3:35 am

magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
I hope things will go well in Poland :heart: . Things are complete chaos in my country now.

Not bad here. Most businesses work with various additional hygiene requirements - you have to wear a mask indoors in public space like stores, hand sanitisers are everywhere and you are required to use them when entering places like supermarkets or dentists but otherwise life is largely normal. Keeping constant rate of about 300 new cases and about 10 deaths daily for months now, which is entirely manageable in a 37.8 million country.
Schools are a big unknown, currently we're enjoying summer vacations but on September the epidemics won't be over, we need to develop some long-term solutions there.

We had 1,300 new cases today in a country of 7 million. In May it was down to 15 confirmed cases per day. Then we opened schools and malls, bars and restaurants all at once.

I think the "all at once" part was the problem. People could easily interpret it as a signal that the epidemics was over - it wasn't. Gradual reopening with restrictions probably wouldn't have had this psychological effect, at least not so strong.

I hope you're staying safe!


Yes magz, I don't trust the government so I am quarantining myself and only meeting friends and family outside with masks . The day before yesterday there were 1,300 new cases, yesterday it rose to 1,800. (7 million national poulation) We are running out of medication. The economy is crashing. I believe that a new better world will emerge post Corona, a more altruistic less egoistic world. We shall see :D The present world situation is nothing to be proud of.


_________________
My best will just have to be good enough.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,170
Location: Poland

14 Jul 2020, 4:17 am

Teach51 wrote:
Yes magz, I don't trust the government so I am quarantining myself and only meeting friends and family outside with masks . The day before yesterday there were 1,300 new cases, yesterday it rose to 1,800. (7 million national poulation) We are running out of medication. The economy is crashing. I believe that a new better world will emerge post Corona, a more altruistic less egoistic world. We shall see :D The present world situation is nothing to be proud of.

Not trusting governments is always wise :mrgreen:
I think COVID19 highlighted an issue that has been there for quite a long time: we need to cooperate more to care for our tiny global world.
I'm almost sure it's not the last pandemics in my lifetime. It's in the numbers, population and ease of travel make every new disease potentially global.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.