Page 424 of 436 [ 6975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426, 427 ... 436  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 7:25 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
as i've deleted and downloaded again my whatsapp app so many times (deleted to make room for videos/photos, then added again once they were uploaded to google drive).. i dont have the message i mentioned 2 posts above me..
sorry to say. i don't do the whatsapp stored to google drive thing because it allows whatsapp to access your info more than it already does.

Understandable.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 7:58 am

HERE IS AN APPROACH I NEVER THOUGHT OF!

Researchers are studying radiotherapy to determine if it might cure some of the sickest of the sickest COVID-19 patients, the ones on their deathbed. I guess it might make some sense in a way. One of the ways COVID turns deadly is creating a cytokine storm to the lungs that overwhelms our immune system. Normally our bodies immune system is activated by a threat such as a viral or bacterial response.

But IMHO, humans have another immune system that protects us from the effects of low dose radiation. It is one of the reasons that those who survived the atomic bomb blast in Japan had longer lives rather than shorter lives compared to their fellow Japanese. Low-dose radiation from A-bombs elongated lifespan and reduced cancer mortality relative to un-irradiated individuals And like any immune system it needs to be periodically exercised to keep the immune system healthy. That is probably why many Japanese go to hot springs that emit high levels of radon gas because they believe in its therapeutic properties. Some Japanese Put Faith in Radon So I guess it would make some sense that if one of your immune systems is in overdrive, you rev up another system to distract it.

So I guess in a strange fuzzy logic perspective it makes some sense. Radiation therapy was used over a hundred years ago as an adjunctive treatment for cases of pneumonia that had failed to resolve by themselves.

Anyways I came across an article this morning that discussed research in this area:
-----------------------

A Phase I/II trial was conducted at Emory . Let me remind you that these trials are meant to look at safety, not efficacy. The researchers identified nine possible candidates, but to give you a sense of how critically ill these patients were, four died before treatment could be initiated. All patients had COVID-19 based upon nasopharyngeal swabs, none had any other COVID-directed drug therapy the day before or for three days following treatment, and all were clinically deteriorating. Five patients underwent low-dose pulmonary irradiation. All were elderly, with significant co-morbidities, requiring supplemental oxygen, all demonstrating changes in their mentation; four were African-American, one Caucasian. Certainly not a random sample, more a group receiving a “hail-Mary” treatment. Each patient received 1.5 Gy of radiation (this is equivalent to about 1500 chest x-rays). [ In perspective, 1.5 Gy is considered a small dose compared to the 60.0 Gy dose used in radiation therapy for cancer.] Of the cohort, four survived, with prompt improvement in the mentation as well as the inflammatory biomarkers. In three of the cases, significant improvement was seen within 24 hours.

The second study was a matched controlled study, again from Emory. The criteria for inclusion were unchanged as was treatment, but in this case, ten matched controls were identified from participants in another COVID-19 outcome study. The groups were reasonably matched, all requiring oxygen, with multiple co-morbidities. They differed in being younger than the Phase I participants, with an average age of about 75 rather than the late ’80s, and there was not as significant mental status changes, an indirect sign of sepsis, in either group compared to the prior study participants. As in the first study, these patients were critically ill, with three of the thirteen recruited dropping out before radiation because of death or the need for intubation. The treatment arm all received radiation, but in about half, the cases received additional therapy, including steroids and remdesivir. The control group was also a bit of a therapeutic mess, with some receiving steroids, remdesivir, azithromycin, or hydroxychloroquine. Those patients receiving radiotherapy showed “a median time to clinical improvement” of 3 days versus 12 days in the control. While the authors present associated p-values, given the small size of the study, they are more decorative than informative. Radiation therapy shortened the hospital stay with no effect on mortality.

Source: Treating COVID-19 With Radiotherapy

Andoras
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2020, 1:42 pm

magz wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:
Andoras wrote:
Well, well, well, the time finally came:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-ad ... 8e681df77e

also Bolsonaro's third coronavirus test became positive too:
https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news ... d86d2806bb

you know what's creepy is on another forum some members shared how they or their friends tested negative initially and it was an error and they actually had it/... i mean they thought they were free to carry on and they unwittingly must have spread it more than if they had known..

That's why face masks, hand washing, social distancing and all apply to everyonee, not just people who tested positive.

I bought these two masks back in April:
https://maszkot.hu/3-retegu-arcra-illes ... 3-munkanap
https://nevesajandek.hu/szajmaszk/szajm ... szk-szm013
The second one brings a little cuteness to these dark times and I'm pretty immune for strangers' dirty looks besides as I told my friends at lest people who don't like my unicorn mask will surly keep the social distance. :P

Andoras

29 Jul 2020, 1:55 pm

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/29/fir ... mperatures
The same article's Official Hungarian version also adds that green organizations attack the city for wasting lots of water this way, plus they mention that more and more citizen can hardly allow running their air conditioner these days.

Talking about the economical effects of the pandemic, what about the world's Giga projects?

So far I only read that Google's sister company Side Walk Labs stepped back from its Neighbourhood developing project in Toronto.
https://medium.com/sidewalk-talk/why-we ... 61de3fee3a

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 3:34 pm

Andoras wrote:
https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/29/fire-hydrants-helping-new-yorkers-keep-cool-amid-high-temperatures

Apparently this is almost like a tradition in New York City. New Yorkers have been uncapping with and without permission since the “Great Heat Wave of 1896,” which lasted 10 days and resulted in more than 1300 fatalities.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 5:43 pm

Yep. It has been a “tradition.”

The loss of water is offset somewhat by firehouses providing sprinklers.

People cool off better with sprinklers than with unsprinkled open hydrants, anyway.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 1:04 am

jimmy m wrote:
IS A NATIONAL QUARANTINE AN EFFECTIVE STRATEGY

Sweden continues a downward trend of COVID-19 cases after a much-debated approach kept large parts of society open during the coronavirus pandemic. “The curves go down, and the curves over the seriously ill begin to be very close to zero. As a whole, it is very positive," Sweden’s chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said. While coronavirus cases increase in Europe, Sweden, which had called for its people to take personal responsibility instead of ordering government-mandated lockdowns, on Tuesday reported just two new deaths, bringing the confirmed toll to 5,702. “With numbers diminishing very quickly in Sweden, we see no point in wearing a face mask in Sweden, not even on public transport,” Tegnell said.

Swedish officials declined to implement strict lockdown measures widely adopted in Europe. Large gatherings were banned, but restaurants and schools for young children have stayed open. The Swedish government has urged social distancing, and citizens have largely complied.

"We've actually seen a clearly declining trend in the number of patients in intensive care and also in the number of deaths since the middle of April," said Anna Mia Ekström, clinical professor of global infectious disease epidemiology at Stockholm’s Karolinksa Institute.

There have been nearly 80,000 cases in the country of 10 million people.

"Now we see one or two deaths a day and very few persons admitted to ICU (intensive care units)," added Jan Albert, a professor of infectious disease control at the Karolinska Institute.

Source: Sweden sees coronavirus cases drop, after controversially avoiding lockdowns

Makes sense

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 7:03 am

A few countries in Europe have numbers going back up again. Lots of chat about whether it is a 2nd wave or just a small spike.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 10:36 am

It’s in our county nursing home,
fifty some odd patients and several staff.It only holds seventy people. :cry:

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

Feyokien
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2020, 2:51 pm

Good luck everyone with the second wave/continued first wave of deaths in the United States. Florida, Texas, and other states are lighting up. My wife's grandfather lives in south Florida.

Misslizard wrote:
It’s in our county nursing home,
fifty some odd patients and several staff.It only holds seventy people. :cry:

My grandmothers nursing home started getting cases last month. They've kept it under control so far. My mom will finally be able to move her out and to the same town as her tomorrow. My grandma is currently in the same town as my uncle, but his family never visits her. My grandma isn't in great shape to begin with and catching COVID would certainly kill her :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 5:29 pm

Reopening New Jersey: Coronavirus cases on the rise, could qualify for own quarantine list

Quote:
Coronavirus cases are on the rise in New Jersey, as the U.S. has surpassed 150,000 coronavirus deaths with hot spots continuing to pop up across the country.

The Garden State has reported 2,000 cases over the past four days, and Gov. Phil Murphy is blaming indoor house parties for the growing numbers.

In fact, it is possible that the average daily cases per 100,000 residents metric keeps increasing, the state could mathematically be eligible for its own Tri-State Travel Advisory within two weeks.

Among the new emerging hot spots are New Jersey's Camden County and Mercer County, which includes Princeton and Trenton. These counties had not been on the hot spot list since April 13.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo responded by saying he views New Jersey as a neighbor and is working with them, but that there will be no blockade.

"I don't know how you could quarantine New jersey," he said. "They don't fly into New York. You would have to blockade roads, and we are not talking about blockading."

At Rutgers University, the spike in cases has the potential to doom the football season after reports of student athletes attending indoor parties and getting infected.

The university's football program had already suspended team workouts due to several players contracting the virus, and now, the state says that outbreak is linked to house parties, at least one of which was reportedly on campus.

This comes as the state deals with other large house parties in recent weeks, including one in Middletown and a party Sunday in Jackson.

In that case, police were called after 700 people gathered at a mansion that was rented out through Airbnb.

"When there are hundreds of people crammed into a house where the air conditioning system is simply blowing the air around and where people are not wearing face coverings, you have also invited coronavirus to your party," said Governor Murphy.

Murphy says the new infections have set the state back to levels not seen in a month.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 2:42 am

Partial lockdown brought back into play in Greater Manchester (north west England)

Andoras

01 Aug 2020, 11:38 am

It's only 1 month remained from the summer so the governments have to decide how they are going to start the year.
One of my two stepsisters work at the ELTE University in Budapest as a Student Council Member and she says they are thinking a hybrid teaching method which might mean small classes planned to held in the university's great classrooms following the safety rules (social distancing, mandatory mask-wearing etc, while bigger classes remain online.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 12:48 pm

Three deaths in the local nursing home. :cry:
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... me/?latest

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 5:05 am

Misslizard wrote:
Three deaths in the local nursing home. :cry:
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... me/?latest

Sorry for sounding flippant (thank God fr online thesaurus as no other word Was fitting) possibly- not intentional - but nursing home deaths are to be expected even with a flu or cold things spiral, no? My sister workswith the elderly and has done so for years and before that volunteered during high school at care home. Caring for the elderly in our community is like a passion of hers..

Regularly she has told me of X number of people dying in a short span of time- the same week (prior to covid19)

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 5:20 am

To add to above thought as it was incomplète i think visitors and testing = testing has shown time and time again to be inconsistent in reliability... For example yesterday one of mt sons nurses told me her friend was said to have it per test but lives in a big family lots of relatives under one roof- not just her - and nobody else tested positive for it
Tested again n by the time result came back then
She had recovered from symptoms but then they told her she didnt actually have it-- the first test result was wrong to begin with. Which explains why from all those ppl in her home tested only she was said to have a positive test ...

Similar but flipped ppl who have it keep getting negative tests n their dr says u have ut but it was a false result .they stay home the entire time. So next test shows they are positive

So visitors will inevitably bring it in if we rely on tests... As (for coming year,) schools and care homes have no other option but to do.

Second... I read that people who had been denied treatment for a condition they had prior (eg heart condition, chemo needed, etc) denied..died. Now if staff is short-handed and care homes have to scrounge for ppe too.. Then once virus is in, the staff diminishes in number too as all those who dont have it want to stay away esp with inadequate protection
..so inadequate care might also contribute to increased deaths... ?
Idk that its the same but seems to me visitors will carry it in no matter what which includes staff