Page 6 of 415 [ 6628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 415  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 10:12 am

Concerns over the virus' fast-spreading nature have prompted the CDC to increase staffing at 20 U.S. airports that have quarantine facilities, The Washington Post reported.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it increased its travel warning to Level 3 on Monday, recommending travelers to "avoid all nonessential travel to China."

On Sunday, China's health minister Ma Xiaowei said the virus could be transmitted by an infected person before symptoms appear. That can pose a problem for containment of the virus. If people can contaminate others even before they begin to show symptoms, then containment will be very hard to implement. It may increase the pressure on airline travel bans.

On the good side, this new coronavirus doesn't seem to spread as easily among people as SARS or influenza. Most of the cases that spread between people were of family members and health workers who had contact with patients. That suggests the new virus isn't well adapted to infect people.

The outlet reported Germany's first declared case of the deadly virus late on Monday in Starnberg, a town 19 miles southwest of Munich. The patient is reportedly in "good condition" and is isolated under medical observation. Infections have now been confirmed in the China (including Hong Kong, Macao), the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Nepal and Sri Lanka. Several other nations have suspected cases that have not been confirmed.

Hong Kong's leader has announced that all rail links to mainland China will be cut starting Friday as fears grow about the spread of a new virus. Chief Executive Carrie Lam said Tuesday that both the high-speed rail station and the regular train station would be closed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 10:17 am

Nope ... sorry ... not panicked yet ... keep trying ...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 11:01 am

By gosh man you must be made of granite.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 11:23 am

EzraS wrote:
Nope. Just old enough to have survived more varieties of the "deadliest plagues" of flu in the last 60+ years than I can remember, and I'm tired of all the hype and bother about how the next virus is supposed to wipe out all of humanity in the most painful and disgusting ways possible.

Same for Global warming ...

... and GMOs ...

... and police violence ...

... and tainted water ...

... and public education ...

... and __________ (fill in the blank) ...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 11:25 am

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Nope. Just old enough to have survived more varieties of the "deadliest plagues" of flu in the last 60+ years than I can remember, and I'm tired of all the hype and bother about how the next virus is supposed to wipe out all of humanity in the most painful and disgusting ways possible.

Same for Global warming ...

... and GMOs ...

... and police violence ...

... and tainted water ...

... and public education ...

... and __________ (fill in the blank) ...

I feel the same way already.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 11:26 am

It is a funny thing about panic. It is like a herd of buffalo. One buffalo senses danger and signals it to the herd. The whole herd can be grazing and all of a sudden one buffalo "on watch" smells, hears, or sees something. That buffalo "sets a point" with a tail signal and the whole herd comes to immediate attentions, starts slowly to form a tight formation and sounds the alarm.

Then the herd may panic and stampede. So when a panic sets in, there is not much to be done except go along with the herd.

So in some places such as Wuhan, China, they are in an action mode. The herd of buffalo is on the move. The streets are deserted, many store shelves are empty, transportation is at a standstill. They have adopted a shelter-in-place approach. In other places, people are taking precautions such as buying up face mask, quitely stockpiling food, medicine, drinks, pet food, toilet paper, vitamins, etc. in preparation for what may be turned into a global panic.

So although for the most part I am not concerned about this particular threat, I understand the tendency of the herd to panic. It can be prudent to take precautions early because many options will be rather limited if the herd of buffalo decides to stampede.

-------------------------------------

About 50 years ago, I experienced a panic in California. The news announced over the radio that many of the companies that manufacture toilet paper were temporarily shutting down and that there would be a shortage of toilet paper. After work I went into the grocery store to buy some food and I notices many old ladies with shopping carts full of toilet paper pushing them to the checkout lanes. I walked by the aisles that held the toilet paper and they were empty. The shelves were completely bare. I went home and a day latter there was an announcement that the toilet paper scare was fake news that spun out of control.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 11:27 am

The hysteria about the coronavirus is not necessarily because of its seriousness.....it's because of its potential seriousness. And because of the nature of disease as it's passed from person to person; viruses can mutate.

In New York City, I only saw ONE PERSON wearing a mask on the subway today.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 11:33 am

jimmy m wrote:
It is a funny thing about panic. It is like a herd of buffalo. One buffalo senses danger and signals it to the herd. The whole herd can be grazing and all of a sudden one buffalo "on watch" smells, hears, or sees something. That buffalo "sets a point" with a tail signal and the whole herd comes to immediate attentions, starts slowly to form a tight formation and sounds the alarm.

Then the herd may panic and stampede. So when a panic sets in, there is not much to be done except go along with the herd...
... right over a cliff, which is how some Native American tribes on horseback would kill as many buffalo as possible at once, thus ensuring enough food and hides for the entire tribe, all at once.

Lucky for us, humanity acts nothing like a herd of stupid animals that can be provoked into a mindless panic...

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 11:55 am

Fnord wrote:
Lucky for us, humanity acts nothing like a herd of stupid animals that can be provoked into a mindless panic...

I'm sorry sir, but this sarcasm is well into weapons-grade territory. You're gonna need to get a license for that.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 1:19 pm

As a side note - The Seattle man who tested positive for the coronavirus after returning from China recently was kept in isolation and evaluated using a robot after arriving at Providence Regional Medical Center - Everett.

Dr. George Diaz, section chief of infectious diseases at the hospital, said that staff was contacted by the health department and asked to admit and treat the man, who has not been identified, once the positive coronavirus test results came back. Diaz said the man was transported to the hospital via ambulance from his home and placed in an isolation pod.

Source: Coronavirus patient in Seattle treated via robot, doc says

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 1:32 pm

In thinking about the salt impregnated face mask, such as the Respokare Anti-Viral Mask, which kills greater than 99.99% of similar coronaviruses in 1 minute, I could see two areas where they may be quite useful.

* The first would be medical staff such as doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers who come in close contact with suspected patients.
* The second would be the patients themselves, especially when they are transported to prevent them for infecting others.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 2:23 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I'm sorry sir, but this sarcasm is well into weapons-grade territory. You're gonna need to get a license for that.
Standing down...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 5:06 pm

meanwhile....evidence has emerged the Coronavirus can spread human to human like the common cold....
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 9ce9462abd

All flights from China really need to be stopped until this virus is eradicated

Brehus
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2020, 5:28 pm

Video from Wuhan before China shutdown the internet / cell phone service

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 5:38 pm

Yes the videos of people dropping on the ground and convulsing is why Wuhan is currently under lockdown. The problem is people who have been in Wuhan and are now all over the world

Brehus
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2020, 9:27 pm

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny