Billie Eilish wins big four Grammy Awards

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 3:13 am

Grammys 2020: Billie Eilish Becomes the First Woman to Sweep the Big Four Grammys In One Night

Quote:
Billie Eilish's sweep was the big story of the 62nd annual Grammy Awards, which were held Sunday (Jan. 26) at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Eilish became just the second artist in Grammy history—and the first woman—to sweep the Big Four awards: album, record and song of the year plus best new artist. The first artist to do this was Christopher Cross 39 years ago.

Eilish took album of the year for her debut, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?, and record and song of the year for her smash "Bad Guy." In the process, she set several age-related records.

Eilish, 18, is the youngest album of the year winner in Grammy history, easily topping Taylor Swift, who was 20 when she won a decade ago for Fearless. She's also the youngest record of the year winner in Grammy history. That distinction was formerly shared by Kimbra and Sam Smith. Both were 22 when they won, as the featured artist on Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" (2012) and as the lead artist on "Stay with Me" (2014), respectively.

Eilish is the youngest best new artist champ since LeAnn Rimes, who was 14 when she took the 1996 award. She's the youngest song of the year winner since Lorde, who was a year younger—just 17—when she won the 2013 award for co-writing "Royals."

Eilish has now edged Lizzo in the new artist category at three major award shows. She previously bested Lizzo in this category at the VMAs on Aug. 26 and at the American Music Awards on Nov. 24.

Eilish's sweep was a surprise because Lizzo came on strong in recent months; it seemed likely that the two would split the top prizes. In the end, Lizzo beat Eilish in just one category—best pop solo performance for "Truth Hurts." (Fun Fact: Cross also lost in the performance category in the year of his sweep. Kenny Loggins' "This Is It" took best pop vocal performance, male, edging out Cross' "Sailing.")

FINNEAS, 22, Eilish's collaborator and older brother, is the youngest winner of producer of the year, non-classical in the category's history. That distinction was formerly shared by Michael Jackson and three members of Toto (Steve Porcaro, Bobby Kimball and Steve Lukather) who were each 25 when they won.

FINNEAS won six awards for the night, one more than Eilish. They shared four awards— album, record, song and best pop vocal album (he as a producer). Her fifth award was best new artist. His fifth and sixth awards were producer of the year, non-classical and best engineered album, non-classical.

Tanya Tucker won her first two Grammy Awards. She had amassed 14 nominations, dating back to 1972, before she finally won. Her first Grammy was for best country song for "Bring My Flowers Now." Accepting the award, she said, "After almost 50 years in this business, after many dreams, it's unbelievable to me that I would still have some firsts left." A moment later, she took best country album for While I'm Livin'. Tucker, 61, is the oldest winner for best country album since Loretta Lynn, then 72, took the 2004 award for Van Lear Rose.

Lizzo took best urban contemporary album for Cuz I Love You (Deluxe). She's the third female artist to win in this category, following Rihanna and Beyoncé.

Beyoncé's Homecoming, an account of her instantly legendary performance at the 2018 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, won best music film. Beyoncé co-directed the film with Ed Burke. She's only the second artist to win in this category for a film he or she directed or co-directed. The first was Alanis Morissette, who won the 1997 award for Jagged Little Pill, Live, which she co-directed with Steve Purcell. This is Beyoncé's first win in this category. She was previously nominated for I Am…World Tour, On the Run Tour (with Jay-Z) and Lemonade.

Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus' "Old Town Road (Original Movie)" took the awards for best pop duo/group performance and best music video. The video's director, Calmatic, won a VMA in August for directing "Old Town Road."

Dave Chappelle won best comedy album for the third straight year, this time for Sticks & Stones. Chappelle is just the fourth winner in this category to win three years running. Bill Cosby won six years running (1964-69). Richard Pryor won three in a row (1974-76). Parody artist Peter Schickele won four in a row (1989-92).

Former First Lady Michelle Obama's Becoming won best spoken word album. Obama is the second first lady or former first lady to win in that category. Hillary Rodham Clinton won the 1996 award for It Takes a Village while she was first lady. (She accepted the award in person when the Grammys were held that year at Madison Square Garden. Obama, who helped open last year's Grammy telecast with a surprise appearance, was not present this year to accept her award.) Barack Obama won twice in this category before he was elected president.

Cage the Elephant took best rock album for the second time in four years with Social Cues. The band won in this category three years ago with Tell Me I'm Pretty.

Vampire Weekend took best alternative music album for the second time with Father of the Bride. The band won the 2013 award for Modern Vampires of the City. They're the only act to win twice in the category in the past 10 years.

Gary Clark, Jr. won in three far-flung categories. He took best rock performance and best rock song for "This Land" and best contemporary blues album for the album of the same name. Clark wasn't nominated in any of the Big Four categories. His strong showing in the down-ballot categories suggests he might have done well in the Big Four categories if he'd been given a chance.

Dan + Shay took best country duo/group performance for the second year in a row. They won this year for "Speechless"; last year for "Tequila." They're the first act to win two years running since this streamlined category was introduced in 2011.

One-time disco queen Gloria Gaynor took best roots gospel album for Testimony. It was her first Grammy win since she won best disco recording in 1979 (the only year it was presented) for her classic "I Will Survive." Gaynor alluded to her long gap between Grammys when she accepted the award by noting "I am at last able to balance out my piano.

Elvis Costello won his first Grammy in 20 years for Look Now, recorded with his group the Imposters. The album won for best traditional pop vocal album, beating albums by such category mainstays as Michael Bublé and Barbra Streisand. Other previous winners in the category who come from a rock background include Rod Stewart and Paul McCartney.

The late Nipsey Hussle won his first Grammy for best rap performance for "Racks in the Middle," which featured Roddy Ricch and Hit-Boy. His grandmother was among those accepting the award on his behalf. He later won a second Grammy for best rap/sung performance for his featured role on DJ Khaled's "Higher." Hussle was nominated last year for best rap album for Victory Lap. He was killed six weeks later.

The Chemical Brothers' No Geography won best dance/electronic album. It's the duo's third win in the category, which puts them in a tie with Skrillex for the most wins in the category's history.

Norwegian sound engineer and producer Morten Lindberg finally won his first Grammy, for best immersive audio album. Lindberg received 28 nominations before he finally scored a win, which made him the person with the most Grammy nods without a win. That dubious distinction now passes to conductor Zubin Mehta, 83, who received 18 nominations from 1969-2007.

Hildur Guðnadóttir took best score soundtrack for visual media for her score to HBO's Chernobyl. It's just the second score for a television show to win in this category. Lalo Schifrin's score for CBS' Mission: Impossible took the 1967 award. Hildur is the first woman to win in this category in more than 30 years. The Icelandic composer has been unstoppable this awards season. She won an Emmy for Chernobyl and a Golden Globe and Critics' Choice Award, among many other prizes, for Joker. She will be competing for an Oscar for Joker two weeks from tonight.

Esperanza Spalding, whose win as best new artist of 2010 was a Grammy shocker for the ages, won best jazz vocal album for 12 Little Spells. This is Spalding's fourth Grammy win. (Looking at her best new artist competition that year, Drake has also won four Grammys; Mumford & Sons have won two. Justin Bieber has won one. Florence + the Machine is still looking for its first win.)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 6:24 am

She has become a megastar in a short amount of time.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 8:01 am

How is there an album of the year catagory and a record of the year catagory,isn't an record an album.I understand that records are making a comeback but isn't anything released on vinyl also released on cd and on i tunes or amazon.

the_real_roxanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2020, 8:47 am

...The " record of the year " category is for single song recorded. Back when physical Ops and 45s were the mainstream it wad for singles.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 8:53 am

Her brother won quite a few too. I think they co-wrote the songs. My granddaughter loves her and I must admit she's good.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 12:37 am

A tad over-rated

Billy Eilish's brother collaborates with her music to make use of AMSR
ASMR is short for autonomous sensory meridian response, the brain tingles people feel around the head and spine in response to certain triggers. Some of the most common triggers are whispering.

If you listen to Billy Eilish's music it makes heavy use of whispering and other AMSR type principles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUsshSsI22o
Girls Billy's age post youtube videos of whispering which has exactly the same effect and it appeals to both males and females. Apparently people listen to this stuff for hours to relax.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2020, 1:24 am

Honestly, bad guy was ruined for me after hearing the remix she put out with Justin Bieber. His verse is so bad and he makes this inhumane noise before the bridge.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 2:20 am

yaaaaaahhhhh..... go Billy Eillish............! :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 12:57 pm

Hmmm...

Let me get this straight.

Its not even a demo for a record company. She makes a school project. And now its won a gazillion grammies? More than Norah Jones won that year 20 years ago?

And it done in this ASMR style?

And ASMR is for folks who cant make up their minds whether they wanna dance, or whether they wanna sleep?

And she never actually sings? Its all mumbling and whispering.

Okay.

Well..that last part...David Bowie couldn't sing worth crap, and neither could prince, nor could Sheryl Crow, nor can Halsey, so that's fine.

It IS rather cool to listen to IMHO. But IMHO it doesn't deserve double digit numbers of grammies.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 1:07 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
How is there an album of the year catagory and a record of the year catagory,isn't an record an album.I understand that records are making a comeback but isn't anything released on vinyl also released on cd and on i tunes or amazon.

A "record" in the Grammy sense, is any recording.

Doesn't hafta be on vinyl any more. At it certainly doesn't hafta be an album.

"Records" in this sense are usually just one track (one song), like a "single" as in "one side of a little seven inch 45 rpm vinyl" back in my day, or nowadays it can be a CD single, or it be just a file downloadable, or streamable, on the Net, that isn't even put out in physical form. Singles are by definition "not albums". Unless its somekind weird thing.

An "album" is a long thing (Sgt Pepper, Mozart's Magic Flute, the Black Album) of like a dozen songs (or a dozen movements of a classical symphony)typically done with some over arching concept in mind. The kinda thing that WAS typically put out on 33 rpm 12 inch vinyl back in the day, but again- it doesn't hafta be on vinyl, nor on any physical format, these days to be in the running for "Album of the Year".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 5:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Hmmm...

Let me get this straight.

Its not even a demo for a record company. She makes a school project. And now its won a gazillion grammies? More than Norah Jones won that year 20 years ago?

And it done in this ASMR style?

And ASMR is for folks who cant make up their minds whether they wanna dance, or whether they wanna sleep?

And she never actually sings? Its all mumbling and whispering.

Okay.

Well..that last part...David Bowie couldn't sing worth crap, and neither could prince, nor could Sheryl Crow, nor can Halsey, so that's fine.

It IS rather cool to listen to IMHO. But IMHO it doesn't deserve double digit numbers of grammies.

I have no doubt people like her music, others use auto-tune and sound effects so why not AMSR.

My issue is why she needs to win a grammy award? but judging by past winners talent is not always a criteria

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 11:17 pm

GGRRRRRRRR.......... at naturoplastic .. tonedeaf... mu ffiinn so and so

where ever you go ,there you are