Page 7 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 2:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Personally, I've grown weary of hearing and reading about "basketball superstar Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna (along with six family friends and the pilot)" who died in a helicopter crash. Those 7 other people had names too, y'know!
This isn't all about the Bryant family.[/color]

If the Bryant's weren't on the helicopter this story would have vanished from the news faster than the deaths of 7 starving children in some remote corner of Africa in the last 5 minutes.

Nobody outside of America really cares about 7 random dead Americans, it's Kobe Bryant who has global clout.

If Kobe wasn't onboard, I can speculate that the story would be about the tragedy of losing three children. After the children (as a group), the (male) baseball coach would be the next most discussed person. The (female) coach would be third, then the two mothers. Unfortunately the pilot will always be blamed and discussed last.

It's sad all around, because there should never be a hierarchy of humans.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 2:20 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
It's sad all around, because there should never be a hierarchy of humans.

And yet there is...the deaths of people in the third world barely get mentioned in western media

Having said that the names of the other 7 people have been listed and their photos published so we have to respect their lives lost and commiserations to their families.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 6:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
The only relevant part of the story
In August 2004, the accuser filed a civil lawsuit against Bryant over the incident. In March 2005, the two parties settled that lawsuit. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed to the public. The Los Angeles Times reported that legal experts estimated the settlement was more than $2.5 million.

SO why then are these female reporters so hell-bent on continuing this narrative of Kobe the rapist?? even to the extent of deleting a tribute to Kobe and his daughter and the other victims??

I also don't understand why the media are asking the plaintiff in the 2003 rape case to make a statement? I thought a financial settlement meant she was supposed to drop her case? is she planning to extract more money from the Bryant estate?

As quoted earlier the women will not be making a statement. The reporters are asking because of 1. Her opinion about his death and the ensuing adulation is newsworthy 2. Ratings

America is a celebrity-obsessed culture. If it was me instead of Kobe on that helicopter outside of the Los Angeles area the story would have buried with all the other stuff going on. That is unfair. Life is unfair.

The whole purpose of the necessary #MeToo movement was that we were not going to ignore this part of people's lives because they are liked and powerful. We should not be making exceptions because it came at an inconvenient time. It would really suck for the friends and families of the deceased if this was more widely reported and not mostly whitewashed. How come nobody here has asked how the women in question and rape victims of powerful popular men are feeling about all the adulation Kobe is getting?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 1:46 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
How come nobody here has asked how the women in question and rape victims of powerful popular men are feeling about all the adulation Kobe is getting?

Because the woman in question received a $2.5 M settlement which she happily accepted so her opinion about kobe Bryant means nothing anymore.

Basically she agreed to have sex with a celebrity, it became rough (Bryant pushed the limits) but it wasn't rape. The money equates to what she thought is sufficient to call it evens.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 4:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
How come nobody here has asked how the women in question and rape victims of powerful popular men are feeling about all the adulation Kobe is getting?

Because the woman in question received a $2.5 M settlement which she happily accepted so her opinion about kobe Bryant means nothing anymore.

Basically she agreed to have sex with a celebrity, it became rough (Bryant pushed the limits) but it wasn't rape. The money equates to what she thought is sufficient to call it evens.

Why assume she consented to it getting "rough"?
Kobe Bryant and the Sexual Assault Case That Was Dropped but Not Forgotten
Quote:
They both said later that they began kissing, but what happened in the next few minutes became the heart of the dispute. The woman told the police that Bryant had raped her. Bryant said they had consensual sex.

Prosecutors seemed to have a strong case. According to court documents, an examination of the woman at a hospital revealed a bruise on her neck and tears in her vaginal wall. Both her underwear and Bryant’s shirt were bloody. Bryant told the police he had not explicitly asked for consent.

Almost immediately the case against Bryant became a news media circus, the biggest celebrity prosecution since the O.J. Simpson trial. Quickly though, the accuser’s reputation came under attack. Bryant’s lawyer, Pamela Mackey, said the woman’s name in open court six times during one hearing — even though the police and court officials had tried to preserve her anonymity — and asked if her injuries could have been caused “by having sex with three men in three days.” Television crews camped outside the home of the accuser’s parents, and her name was leaked by the court system three times.

Like the Simpson case a decade before, the Bryant case quickly became about much more than what had happened in that hotel room. It was seen through the historical prism of white women falsely accusing black men of sexual violence (the woman in the Bryant case was white). At the same time, the case sparked commentary that perpetuated stereotypes about false accusations of rape.

After the case was dropped, Bryant issued a lengthy statement, apologizing to the woman and acknowledging her perspective of their encounter, which is farther than most public apologies go. “Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual,” he said in statement, “I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did.”

The settlement was not about getting even. It was about both parties not wanting any more publicity about the incident which for her still seems to be true.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 11:30 pm

CBS News Head Calls Threats Against Gayle King Reprehensible

Quote:
The CBS News chief called threats against journalist Gayle King “reprehensible” Saturday as backlash grew against rapper Snoop Dogg and others critical of King for an interview where she asked about a sexual assault charge against the late Kobe Bryant.

Snoop Dogg had threatened King online this week following her interview with WNBA player Lisa Leslie about Bryant, the former Los Angeles Lakers star killed in a helicopter crash on Jan. 26

CBS would not discuss the nature of any private threats against King. Her friend, Oprah Winfrey, said in an NBC interview that King had received death threats and was traveling with security.

The rapper had joined with others, including 50 Cent and Bill Cosby, in criticizing King for asking Leslie whether Bryant’s legacy had been complicated by the accusation that he raped a woman at a Colorado resort in 2003. Bryant said the two had consensual sex, but he later apologized for his behavior and settled a civil suit against him.

In a profane video posted on Instagram and shared on other social media platforms, Snoop Dogg criticized King for attacking “your people.” He told her to “back off ... before we come get you.”

King’s questions had attracted little notice as part of a wide-ranging interview shown on CBS This Morning. But then CBS — mistakenly, it said later — posted a video online that focused strictly on the discussion about the assault case.

King’s critics essentially voiced some variation of what Leslie answered — that the media should be more respectful of Bryant so soon after his death and not discuss this stain upon his record — although usually in sharper terms.

Besides her boss, other people have begun coming to King’s defense, including Sen. Cory Booker, former U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice and NBC morning show host Willie Geist.

“For those threatening her and inciting violence, stop it immediately,” the New Jersey senator tweeted. “This is unacceptable. We must do better.”

Rice, on Twitter, said Snoop Dogg’s video was despicable and she told him to back off.

“You come against Gayle King, you come against an army,” Rice wrote. “You will lose, and it won’t be pretty.”′

Geist, from the Today show and MSNBC’s Morning Joe, tweeted that “the threats against Gayle King for asking a fair question in the course of a long interview are absolutely disgusting. Gayle is one of the most thoughtful people in our business.”

New Yorker writer Jelani Cobb tweeted that there was a way to disagree with King’s questions “without lapsing into misogyny, threats and ignorance.”

In an essay posted on the web site The Undefeated, Morehouse College journalism professor David Dennis Jr. wondered why it was two black women — King and Leslie — who were the ones publicly wrestling with this aspect of Bryant's legacy.

“We, myself included, have to take time in our healing to try to understand why we either forgave Bryant or never bothered to hold him accountable,” Dennis wrote. “It’s fair to believe that the work Bryant put in for women in sports in the years since the rape allegation have shown true contrition and rehabilitation, but nothing will erase that night ... To demand silence over the case does an injustice to the victims of sexual violence as well as the work Bryant did to try to make it right.”

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 12:11 am

The CBS journalist or executive who thought it would be a bright idea to cherry pick one excerpt from a Gayle King's old Interview with Kpbe Bryant and then broadcast it should be held responsible for the fallout.

That person has thrown Gayle King under the bus and thinks it was alright.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 1:00 am

a lot of outright psychopaths in high positions in broadcast networks. just like what was depicted in the movie "network."

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 12:43 pm

She was not awarded MORE than $2.5 million.
$2.5 million was the maximum that COULD be awarded at that time; that is why the $ amount was referenced.

No one officially stated that she did receive the maximum amount.
Neither she, her representatives, Bryant, or his representatives were legally allowed to state the award amount.
I believe that she is legally prevented from discussing the settlement, ever; that that is part of the terms of the settlement.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 1:13 am

There is some confusion with the case as the alleged victim consented to kissing and hugging Kobe Bryant which in itself seems unprofessional. Somewhere in this the wrong signals were sent.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 9:29 pm

Dear Cyberdad,
I think that you summed up that awful incident sadly and accurately; ‘..the wrong signals were sent.’

She was young, star struck, foolish, and flirtatious, thrilled to be kissing a world-famous celebrity, but ONLY that;

He perceived another sports groupie who intended to have a sexual encounter with him.
He seems to have changed, matured, become a good husband and devoted father, I hope that was the only such incident.

Money or no, I believe that the girl WAS a victim, and the history of emotional instability and anti-psychotic meds underscore that she was and is a victim and tragic figure.
We members of WP spend our lives being misunderstood, being judged unfairly, and many of us (me, specifically) constantly question our words and actions as to what we did/said wrong.
I would think that we would be more understanding of someone with problems/issues that played a large part in an awful experience.