Woman who claimed President Trump raped her wants DNA sample

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 2:31 pm

Woman who claimed President Trump raped her in the 1990s requests a sample of his DNA for testing

Quote:
Lawyers for a woman who accuses President Donald Trump of raping her in the 1990s are asking for a DNA sample, seeking to determine whether his genetic material is on a dress she says she wore during the encounter.

Advice columnist E. Jean Carroll’s lawyers served notice to a Trump attorney Thursday for Trump to submit a sample on March 2 in Washington for “analysis and comparison against unidentified male DNA present on the dress.”

Carroll filed a defamation suit against Trump in November after the president denied her allegation. Her lawyer, Roberta Kaplan, then had the black wool coat-style dress tested. A lab report with the legal notice says DNA found on the sleeves was a mix of at least four people, at least one of them male.

Several other people were tested and eliminated as possible contributors to the mix, according to the lab report, which was obtained by The Associated Press. Their names are redacted.

While the notice is a demand, such demands often spur court fights requiring a judge to weigh in on whether they will be enforced.

Carroll accused Trump last summer of raping her in a Manhattan luxury department store dressing room in the mid-1990s.

In a New York magazine piece in June and a book published the next month, Carroll said she and Trump met by chance, chatted and went to the lingerie department for Trump to pick out a gift for an unidentified woman. She said joking banter about trying on a bodysuit ended in a dressing room, where she said Trump reached under her black wool dress, pulled down her tights and raped her as she tried to fight him off, eventually escaping.

“The Donna Karan coatdress still hangs on the back of my closet door, unworn and unlaundered since that evening,” she wrote. She donned it for a photo accompanying the magazine piece.

Trump said in June that Carroll was “totally lying” and he had “never met this person in my life.” While a 1987 photo shows them and their then-spouses at a social event, Trump dismissed it as a moment when he was “standing with my coat on in a line.”

“She is trying to sell a new book — that should indicate her motivation,” he said in one of various statements on the matter, adding that the book “should be sold in the fiction section.”

Carroll sued Trump in November, saying he smeared her and hurt her career as a longtime Elle magazine advice columnist by calling her a liar. She is seeking unspecified damages and a retraction of Trump’s statements.

“Unidentified male DNA on the dress could prove that Donald Trump not only knows who I am, but also that he violently assaulted me in a dressing room at Bergdorf Goodman and then defamed me by lying about it and impugning my character," Carroll said in a statement Thursday.

Her lawyer, Kaplan, said it was “standard operating procedure” in a sexual assault investigation to request a DNA sample from the accused.

“As a result, we’ve requested a simple saliva sample from Mr. Trump to test his DNA, and there really is no valid basis for him to object,” she said.

Trump’s lawyer has tried to get the case thrown out. A Manhattan judge declined to do so earlier this month, saying the attorney hadn’t properly backed up his arguments that the case didn’t belong in a New York court.

The Associated Press typically does not name people who say they have been sexually assaulted, unless they come forward publicly.

Carroll said she didn’t do so for decades because she feared legal retribution from Trump and damage to her reputation, among other reasons. But when the #MeToo movement spurred reader requests for advice about sexual assault, she said, she decided she had to disclose her own account.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 9:47 pm

I just finished reading a different article about this here: https://toofab.com/2020/01/30/donald-tr ... n-carroll/

A DNA sample should prove whether it was him or not. If it was, maybe THIS is the thing he does time for?? Al Capone got caught for tax evasion, and this tax evader/political power abuser might be busted for a rape. I do hope he gets nailed & jailed for all of his crimes, but even if it’s only this one that he has consequences for I’m pretty sure the general consensus will be “We’ll take it.”

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 10:18 am

[sarcasm=mine]

Don't you all remember what Trump said? "If the President does it, it isn't illegal." Or something like that...

[/sarcasm]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 1:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
[sarcasm=mine]

Don't you all remember what Trump said? "If the President does it, it isn't illegal." Or something like that...

[/sarcasm]

It was in the national interest!!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 2:25 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
[sarcasm=mine]

[/sarcasm]
It was in the national interest!!
Your sarcasm is noted.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 7:36 pm

Her lawyer, Kaplan, said it was “standard operating procedure” in a sexual assault investigation to request a DNA sample from the accused.
“As a result, we’ve requested a simple saliva sample from Mr. Trump to test his DNA, and there really is no valid basis for him to object,” she said.

Three questions
1) How reliable is a DNA sample collected from semen in 1990s
2) Is the POTUS legally bound to provide a saliva sample
3) if they match then is he going to jail

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 10:03 pm

They can test the DNA now.

They can develop a "DNA profile" like ancestry.com does.

This would indicate whether TRUMP (a white man) is even a likely source.

Be the hero of your life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 10:49 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:

We don't need ancestry.com to tell us about Trump's ancestors
https://www.politifact.com/facebook-fac ... t-after-k/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 6:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

We don't need ancestry.com to tell us about Trump's ancestors
https://www.politifact.com/facebook-fac ... t-after-k/

Quote:
Side-by-side photographs on Facebook of President Donald Trump and his father Fred Trump attempt to show a family pattern of white supremacy.

"Donald Trump: A white supremacist...just like dad," reads large text in a post shared by the group Anti-Trump USA on Feb. 25.

On Donald Trump's side, the post highlights his partial quote from a news conference that there were "fine people on both sides" after a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va.

Beneath a photo of Fred Trump, the text states he was "arrested participating in KKK riot" in 1927.

The post contains some elements of truth about Fred Trump: He was arrested that year in connection with a clash between the KKK and police amid a parade in Queens. But the post goes beyond what is known about his actions to say he was "participating."

The post was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. (Read more about our partnership with Facebook.) A spokesman for the White House did not comment for the story.

The arrest
The story of Fred Trump’s arrest at a KKK rally has challenged reporters even before his son entered the 2016 presidential race.

The KKK riot broke out during the May 30, 1927, Memorial Day parade in Jamaica, Queens, N.Y., according to archives from The Brooklyn Daily Eagle.

A week prior, police commissioner Joseph Warren was warned that the Klan intended to parade in hoods and gowns. Warren said they were not issued a permit to have a parade, but a report later said the KKK had permission from the Grand Army of the Republic, a veterans’ organization that had charge of the parade arrangements.

However, on the day of the parade, police were unable to keep at least 1,000 Klansmen from participating. The New York Times stated that "1,000 Klansmen and 100 policemen staged a free-for-all battle in Jamaica."

Fred Trump, then 21, was arrested at the parade along with six others, according to the New York Times. (His address was listed as 175-25 Devonshire Road, Jamaica, which matched the 1930 Census.) However, unlike the other men arrested who faced various charges of assault and disorderly conduct, the Times reported that Trump "was discharged."

We checked other reports of the riot to find more information — and found some discrepancies. A May 31, 1927, Brooklyn Daily Eagle article named six prisoners and all but one, bystander Ralph Losee, were called "avowed Klansmen" by the police. But this article did not mention Trump's name.

According to the Daily Star, Trump was "dismissed on a charge of refusing to disperse from a parade when ordered to do so."

A June 2, 1927, Long Island Daily Press article said "seven of the berobed marchers" were arrested. So Fred Trump might have been wearing a Klansman robe.

Alberto Martinez, a history professor at University of Texas, Austin, wrote his own in-depth report on Fred’s arrest.

"Even if Fred Trump was involved in the riot, it doesn’t necessarily mean that he was a KKK member or marcher, because news reports and court records both specify that local spectators (men and women) got involved in disrupting the parade," Martinez wrote in an email.

Additionally, he said, Fred Trump was the only one arrested who was promptly released without any charges.

Martinez said the disposition of the police officers also made him question whether Fred Trump was involved.

"The Queens County Grand Jury accused the police ‘for the disgraceful assault not only upon the (KKK) marchers but innocent civilians along the line of the march’ in the parade," Martinez wrote.

A police car hit and seriously injured Losee, the innocent bystander who was arrested, and several minors were injured by the police.

The president of the Grand Jurors’ Association of Queens said, "Atrocities were committed by the police which were unwarranted and which should be condemned."

"These points show that the police clashed not only with Klansmen but with innocent spectators, which again calls into question whether Fred Trump was necessarily a KKK marcher or a local spectator," Martinez wrote.

Our ruling
A picture on Facebook claims Fred Trump was arrested for "participating" a KKK riot.

Yes, Trump's father was arrested in connection with the KKK's appearance at a Memorial Day parade. The group's march led to a violent confrontation with police. However, there is not enough documentation to show Trump was participating. Unlike other men who were arrested that day, his charge was quickly dropped.

The post stretches what is known about the events that day to leave a misleading impression. We rate this Mostly False.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 1:12 pm

The above two posts are ridiculous.

This topic is about semen on a dress from 25 years ago.

Not Donald and Fred Trump are KKK/NAZI.

Be the hero of your life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 4:54 pm

Prof Alberto Martnez is drawing on corollary evidence that i) there were other people disrupting the marchers and ii) the police arrested both KKK and disruptors

Martinez conveniently ignores some crucial points a) what % of those arrested were KKK? what % were "innocent" ii) does the judge in this case have sympathies with the KKK exercising their "cvil rights" not ever attacking the bona fides of the KKK marchers themselves or their motives. Could he be making the point based on one innocent person caught in the police drag net?

If you decode Martinez's case it's a fairly intellectually lazy way of saying we "don't know" if Fred Trump was marching with the KKK or with disrupters. But relying on 2nd information based on allegations made by a judge with quantifying the arrests is not evidence to exonerate Fred Trump.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 4:57 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:

Your responses are illogical and don't answer my questions

1. I am talking about the DNA profile collected 25 years ago - is it reliable?
2. If it is viable then why can't they draw a simple saliva sample from Trump to verify? what has he got to hide?
3. What has trump's ethnicity got to do with this case??

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 8:33 pm

A biomedical scientist should know the answer to those questions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 10:02 pm

I know the answers but I am posing the questions as is conventional when academics are trying to teach students (of course some are impossible to teach)

The only one of the three questions that's yet to be tested is whether Trump will be dragged kicking and screaming to give his DNA sample

According to Caroll's lawters Roberta Kaplan, the co-founder of the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund and an attorney for Carroll, said the request for Trump’s DNA is standard. “As the technology for DNA has become more and more advanced, it’s more and more commonly used, and not just in criminal cases,” she explained. “It’s now also more common, is the way I think I would describe it, in civil cases, and certainly in civil cases where there’s an allegation of sexual assault, where it would be highly relevant.”

Kaplan said that attorneys for Trump had not yet responded to the demand (surprise!)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 10:44 pm

Trying to teach students. Please. Why do you plague us with so much nonsense?

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 10:48 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
The above two posts are ridiculous.

This topic is about semen on a dress from 25 years ago.

Not Donald and Fred Trump are KKK/NAZI.

I don’t think the DNA is from semen. In one article she is quoted as saying she did not think he ejaculated.