Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:18 am

https://globalnews.ca/news/6772979/coro ... mp-canada/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:40 am

Canada can make their own damned masks!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:43 am

You take care of your own first.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:44 am

Fnord wrote:

I suppose the USA can produce their own electricity and fresh water then, eh?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:44 am

Obviously, Trudeau has bigger concerns than a mere pandemic.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:45 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yes, we can.  You can keep your skanky beer, too![/color]

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:48 am

Misslizard wrote:

1) You see no point in maintaining allies and trading partners?

2) 3M pointed out that if Canada and Latin America retaliate with the same measures, and the USA is dependent on domestic N95 production only, the USA will actually suffer a net loss of N95 masks. (I have no idea if we make them in Canada or not. I Assume they’re made in Latin America more so than Canada, but both have been lumped together in the article.)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:51 am

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yes, we can.  You can keep your skanky beer, too![/color]

Fake news. California would be in the dark along with other states if we didn’t supply them with power.

And a whole lot of areas would run out of fresh water pretty quick if we turned off the taps. Unfortunately we have contractual obligations to sell water to the USA even in times when your president is a total f*****g dickbag waste of air trying to ruin trade relations and kill our doctors and nurses - all for what has been pointed out to him as a Net Loss of N95 masks to the USA if Canada and Latin America do the same in retaliation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:54 am

So the USA really isn't so loathsome to you after all; now that we have things you want, of course, such as face masks and American dollars!

:lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:56 am

goldfish21 wrote:
... California would be in the dark along with other states if we didn’t supply them with power. And a whole lot of areas would run out of fresh water pretty quick if we turned off the taps. Unfortunately we have contractual obligations to sell water to the USA even in times when your president is a total f*****g dickbag waste of air trying to ruin trade relations and kill our doctors and nurses - all for what has been pointed out to him as a Net Loss of N95 masks to the USA if Canada and Latin America do the same in retaliation.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:58 am

No more foreign aid to small poor needy countries like Canada for a while.

Last edited by EzraS on 03 Apr 2020, 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 10:59 am

EzraS wrote:
No more foreign aid to small poor needy countries like Canada for a while.
If it wasn't for America dollars, Canada couldn't even afford socialized medicine!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 11:06 am

Didn't I recently hear a rooster crowing about how well prepared and on top of the virus Canada was?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 11:08 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

1) You see no point in maintaining allies and trading partners?

2) 3M pointed out that if Canada and Latin America retaliate with the same measures, and the USA is dependent on domestic N95 production only, the USA will actually suffer a net loss of N95 masks. (I have no idea if we make them in Canada or not. I Assume they’re made in Latin America more so than Canada, but both have been lumped together in the article.)

We should have been making our own stuff to begin with.You should have also.
I don’t care about an ally or trading partner right now.I want masks to be available for health care workers in my community.
If there are surplus than be all means share.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 11:09 am

goldfish21 wrote:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6772979/coronavirus-3m-n95-respirators-trump-canada/

From the link you give: "U.S. President Donald Trump has ordered the Minnesota-based company to produce and sell as many medical-grade masks as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) says it needs. He invoked the Defense Production Act in order to speed up the distribution of masks."

From Wiki: "The Act contains three major sections. The first authorizes the president to require businesses to accept and prioritize contracts for materials deemed necessary for national defense, regardless of a loss incurred on business (it is unclear what would occur if business refuses or is unable to complete request on time). "

It's an Act typically used in wartime to require manufacturers to either manufacture an existing product for the national defense of the U.S. or to retool and manufacture a product they don't normally make for national defense.

He's invoking the Defense Production Act in relation to 3M (a U.S. company) manufacturing the masks for use within the U.S. This is an entirely different situation than Trump simply asking a company under otherwise normal circumstances to not sell their product to a certain country.

So he's taking a step here to better ensure the safety of the American citizens and reduce the spread of the virus, which is exactly what everyone wants and exactly what he should be doing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 11:10 am

EzraS wrote:
Didn't I recently hear a rooster crowing about how well prepared and on top of the virus Canada was?
You mean this one?