Are certain counties totally clean or just skipped out?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 10:28 am

In https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/he ... and-cases/ they show county by county map of coronavirus. But some counties are left gray. My instinct is to say that they were just skipped out. But that seems impossible since -- when they came up with number of cases per state -- each case is from some county, so why not just count each case towards whatever county they are living in? Or are you saying in some counties they just didn't do testing, so the number of cases per state are only coming from the counties where they did?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 11:15 am

It is likely that some counties don't have testing.
In the USA it is hard to get doctors to serve in rural areas.
If someone needs more expertise than the local area can handle, they transport them to a big city hospital.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 11:40 am

BTDT wrote:
If someone needs more expertise than the local area can handle, they transport them to a big city hospital.

But when they are tested in the big city hospital, they still know what county they came from, so they can record their number towards that county.

Or are you saying that they record it towards the county the hospital is at, because they don't have a proof they were sick with COVID 19 when they were sent to the hospital. So they assume the scenario that, when they shown up to the doctor of their own county sick they didn't have COVID 19 but only had something that looks very similar to it -- but then they caught COVID 19 when they arrived to the location of the hospital, which was just a big coincidence -- and thats why they counted it towards the county of the hospital?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Apr 2020, 11:55 am

[Moved to News and Current Events]

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 12:28 pm

If the big city hospital is overwhelmed with cases, it makes no sense to move someone to where there are no ventilators available. I think they would know that and not move that person.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 12:34 pm

Some counties have little to no infections.

I live in a county that is 546 square miles. (New York City is 302.6 square miles) We have our own hospital. We currently have 19 individuals infected with the virus and one death.

In my county there are some adults who have never been outside the county in their whole lifetimes. So there is less infection rate because there is less mobility in the population. One of the mitigation approaches is isolation. If you take that one step further if you isolate a state or small country from the outside before infections begin to spread within that state or country, then you are essentially isolating the entire country at home.

There are 14 counties in my state that have 4 or less cases. They tend to be rural areas.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 1:17 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Some counties have little to no infections.

I live in a county that is 546 square miles. (New York City is 302.6 square miles) We have our own hospital. We currently have 19 individuals infected with the virus and one death.

In my county there are some adults who have never been outside the county in their whole lifetimes. So there is less infection rate because there is less mobility in the population. One of the mitigation approaches is isolation. If you take that one step further if you isolate a state or small country from the outside before infections begin to spread within that state or country, then you are essentially isolating the entire country at home.

There are 14 counties in my state that have 4 or less cases. They tend to be rural areas.

What is the population of these counties? Maybe they have small populations so if you divide the number of cases by population you will get a number consistent with such rations elsewhere.

At least thats what I found when I looked at states. At first I saw that California has more than 20 times the number of cases than other states. But then I realized its population was 20 times larger as well, so in terms of ratios it does around average.

Now, that county-by-county map, thanksfully, looks at ratios. So if your county has the ratio similar to elsewhere, there is no reason for them to skip over it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 2:15 pm

Maybe the hospitals don’t have the software to split things out by county or zip code so they’re just all lumped in with that particular hospitals numbers?

jimmy m wrote:
In my county there are some adults who have never been outside the county in their whole lifetimes.

I believe you, but, this still seems very strange to me that modern humans behave this way.

I’m no world traveler (never been overseas anywhere) but even I have travelled across almost the Western half of Canada & the USA and have technically been to Mexico when we walked across the border into Tijuana for the day back in the Summer of 1991.

Although, I suppose a county could be considered quite the travel distance for some. I’ve heard that many people in the UK still never travel farther than 10 miles from where they were born! :shock: My typical commute to work is 3x that each way.

It’s all relative I guess. What’s strange to me is normal to someone else. I’m sure there are plenty of wealthier jet setting people who think I live a deprived and sheltered life for having never been overseas anywhere.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm

We have one case that we know off.Around 7,000 people in this county.Not sure how many have been tested.
Most people here don’t travel far from home.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 5:02 pm

Guess that some don't test for it and for this don't get what's going on. :wink:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 5:54 pm

The map is accurate for rural western Kansas and Nebraska, which has a lot of grey counties on the map. I have family there and they tell me the news about new virus cases that are in the areas around them. Many of those large counties have very few people in them and are rather tight knit communities. When someone gets sick and is transported to the local hospital, pretty much everyone in the area will know in a very short time why they were there. HIPA is an afterthought that just does not really exist there, with the exception of the doctors/nurses themselves. It is small town mentality at work. As strange as it may seem, it may actually pay off in this crisis, as it can scare people into action when a case comes to town.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 6:13 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
The map is accurate for rural western Kansas and Nebraska, which has a lot of grey counties on the map. I have family there and they tell me the news about new virus cases that are in the areas around them. Many of those large counties have very few people in them and are rather tight knit communities. When someone gets sick and is transported to the local hospital, pretty much everyone in the area will know in a very short time why they were there. HIPA is an afterthought that just does not really exist there, with the exception of the doctors/nurses themselves. It is small town mentality at work. As strange as it may seem, it may actually pay off in this crisis, as it can scare people into action when a case comes to town.

I am confused. You started by saying that grey areas on the map are accurate -- but then you said you have cases. But I thought grey are the ones where no cases are recorded?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 7:23 pm

QFT wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

I am confused. You started by saying that grey areas on the map are accurate -- but then you said you have cases. But I thought grey are the ones where no cases are recorded?

The ones in grey do not have cases yet in the area that I mentioned. If you look closely, there are cases in certain counties, usually those with higher populations. Kansas in particular has most of its cases on the eastern side because the majority of the population is there. Same can be said of Nebraska.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 8:26 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
QFT wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

The ones in grey do not have cases yet in the area that I mentioned. If you look closely, there are cases in certain counties, usually those with higher populations. Kansas in particular has most of its cases on the eastern side because the majority of the population is there. Same can be said of Nebraska.

But the map shows ratio of the number of cases per population. So if you divide by the population then you would get similar numbers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 8:46 pm

https://www.courant.com/community/hartf ... story.html

More than 8 percent of Connecticut’s population is Puerto Rican, the highest percentage of any state. Some of these residents expressed support Monday for the protesters that flooded the streets of San Juan on Monday.''

More than 100 members of Hartford’s Puerto Rican community marched in circles, carrying signs, banging pots and pans, singing songs and waving the flag of their homeland Tuesday evening at the intersection of Park and Washington streets. Many of the signs said “Ricky Renuncia,” the slogan calling for Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló to resign.

In contrast to those who live all lives in one place, a substantial number of CT residents call more than one place "home."

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2020, 10:35 am

QFT wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
QFT wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

But the map shows ratio of the number of cases per population. So if you divide by the population then you would get similar numbers.

I know of a county on the Kansas map that has a low population (approx. 2,000 people) that has one case and is shown non-grey on the map. A neighboring county has five times the population in the same size area, but is shown grey on the map because it has no known cases of the virus yet.