Man punches teen with autism and police rule it self-defence

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 2:07 am

CTV News

Quote:
A Surrey family is horrified their 13-year-old son, who is on the autism spectrum, was punched in the face by a middle-aged man and police are not pursuing the case further.

It happened last Monday morning at the food court at Central City Shopping Centre in Surrey, B.C

The boy’s mother is outraged.

“A 200-pound adult punched my kid, who is barely 70 pounds,” said Yanyan Yao.

Howie, her son, and his behaviour interventionist, Cindy Ginther, were waiting for their food when a man, who looked to be in his 40s, approached them.

Howie had been learning about physical distancing, his family said, and he was flapping his arms as a way to tell the stranger not to stand too close.

“A man walked by within inches of Howie who can't really communicate verbally -- he has very limited verbal language -- and Howie hit the man right in the chest, as if to say, ‘You're too close to me.’ The man then turned around and punched Howie in the right cheek,” explained Ginther.

Yao said she’s shocked by the RCMP investigation.

She said Mounties reviewed surveillance footage which showed Howie making physical contact with the man first, leading them to conclude that the man acted in self-defence.

“Whatever the judgment from the cop is totally wrong. I just feel like they don't really consider that he's a special needs kid,” Yao said.

Ginther said she was never interviewed about what happened and believes the RCMP did not conduct an appropriate investigation.

“You could clearly see he has a disability … it's absolutely ridiculous to me. I think it's assault,” she said. “How can you say an adult hitting a special needs kid is self-defence? I don't understand that.”

In an email response to CTV News, the Surrey RCMP said no charges will be laid.

“Surrey RCMP did investigate this allegation which included the review of surveillance footage and it was determined that no offence was committed by either party,” said spokesperson Cpl. Joanie Sidhu.

Yao has started an online petition in hopes of spreading awareness and advocating that the RCMP launch a hate crime investigation.

There was some swelling on Howie’s cheek where he was hit but it has since gone down, Yao said. But, the emotional trauma remains.

“When I take him out, he will be more quiet, kind of you know, scared of the people around, so he’s always holding my hand pretty tight,” Yao said.

She is also hoping the man who hit her son gives them a sincere apology.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 2:11 am

A paragon of judgement and restraint, clearly an example to us all....

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 2:15 am

I was skeptical because if the child had assaulted him and was the size of an adult, I wouldn't blame the man but the fact the kid is 70 lbs and the man is 200 lbs, yeah how can that even be assault.

If my son assaults me, does that give me the right to punch him in the face and leave him a broken jaw or a black eye? That would bring CPS to my home.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 3:15 am

The guy could’ve easily just walked away. He wasn’t in a headlock or had a knife pulled on him. He had no good reason to punch him back and yet it was self defense? Even after they saw the surveillance? Screw you, Surrey police! :x

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 3:42 am

Where's Lin Wood to defend the man :lol:

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2020, 5:10 pm

That's outrageous! If that happened where I live, I'm sure that man would go to jail for assault and child abuse.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 6:37 pm

I wonder if in the UK it is legal to assault a child if they hit you no matter what size they are and what is the age minimum for it? Or is this due to ableism? Are parents allowed to assault their kids if they hit them and is there a minimum age limit for it?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 11:17 pm

Maybe the man agreed to drop the assault charge against the kid.

Be the hero of your life.