Jogger shot in Georgia for being Black

Page 5 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,367
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

18 May 2020, 11:08 am

Brictoria wrote:
Based on this, I fail to see how it can be claimed that this shooting was a case of a couple of "rednecks" going out with the intention to shoot a black person as has been implied in several posts here.

Considerations:
-the initial confrontation happens in front of the truck so it's difficult to see (as the dash cam is from behind the truck)
-there is shouting that is inaudible
-garage video appears to show Mr. Aubrey did not steal anything

It doesn't seem like the McMichaels son should have the legal right to point a shotgun at someone.

That creates a threat that he's going to kill you.

*****Imagine if some random person gets out their truck and points a shotgun at YOU*****


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,367
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

18 May 2020, 2:40 pm

Mr. Aubrey's attorney says the dash cam video is much longer, and Mr. Aubrey was chased for at least four minutes.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ahmaud-arber ... hot-lawyer


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,721
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

18 May 2020, 3:06 pm

Brictoria wrote:

Based on this, I fail to see how it can be claimed that this shooting was a case of a couple of "rednecks" going out with the intention to shoot a black person as has been implied in several posts here.

Sources:
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/sus ... djvXrE6sN/
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/rec ... FWbKfApmJ/
https://www.sentinelsource.com/mcclatch ... b1dfa.html


Ever consider the possibility that not everyone takes the murderers story at face value? :|


_________________
All Praise To Athe, The God of Atheism


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,721
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

18 May 2020, 3:12 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
In the US, they would arrest you for kidnapping, IF you made it out of the house alive with the kid. You can'y just steal somebody's kid in my country.


That's nonsense, your government had an official policy of stealing indigenous children from their homes and sending them to boarding schools, just like his country and my country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... ng_schools



They did do this. But, it's frowned upon in modern times.


That was my point, it's frowned upon in all three of them now (unless it's done officially by CPS) but then again back in the day they used variations on the same excuses we still use so if peoples who have been subjected to this within your lifetime are still anxious about it they're not entirely wrong to be.


_________________
All Praise To Athe, The God of Atheism


vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

18 May 2020, 3:43 pm

Check out "Crime talk" with Scott Reisch on youtube,it has a lot of info on this case


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined
WrongPlanet is rancid,goodbye forever


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,367
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

18 May 2020, 4:50 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Check out "Crime talk" with Scott Reisch on youtube,it has a lot of info on this case

Thanks, I found it, and watched it.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,712

18 May 2020, 6:31 pm

Brictoria wrote:
On the day of the shooting, it appears that the McMichaels were made aware of someone running from the property and moved to stop them.


How the McHales were made aware is not what's relevant. The fact Aubrey was a identified as a "suspect" was based on his race.

Also the story that the gun "accidentally" discharged sounds like the lawyers fabricating a tale, the video shows Mchale discharging 3 times and the third time he shot Aubrey as he was running away wounded.



Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,819
Location: Melbourne, Australia

18 May 2020, 8:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
On the day of the shooting, it appears that the McMichaels were made aware of someone running from the property and moved to stop them.


How the McHales were made aware is not what's relevant. The fact Aubrey was a identified as a "suspect" was based on his race.

Also the story that the gun "accidentally" discharged sounds like the lawyers fabricating a tale, the video shows Mchale discharging 3 times and the third time he shot Aubrey as he was running away wounded.


It's amazing how you automatically focus on the race of a person, ignoring the fact that the McMichaels lived a few doors away from the house under construction and would have likely SEEN Mr Arbery running from there.

As to the gun accidentally discharging...if you have a person holding a firearm and another tries to take it from them, then it is likely that the trigger may be accidentally pressed by either person.

I'd also question why any person would run towards a person exiting their vehicle and try to take a gun from them instead of stopping to wait on the Police? It wouldn't be race related, as if he was so worried about this, it would seem highly unlikely that he would have gone to a neighbourhood like this in the first place.

Sadly, some people seem unable to look past a person's race and consider other possibilities, preferring to assume the worst in people rather than actually consider that this would have likely had the same result had Mr Arbery been of the same race as the McMichaels.


_________________
Quote:
"When people express opinions that differ from yours, take it as a chance to grow. Seek to understand over being understood. Be curious, not defensive. The only way to disarm another human being is by listening." - Glennon Doyle Melton

Quote:
“Indeed, you won the elections, but I won the count.” - Anastasio Somoz


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,721
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

18 May 2020, 8:31 pm

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
On the day of the shooting, it appears that the McMichaels were made aware of someone running from the property and moved to stop them.


How the McHales were made aware is not what's relevant. The fact Aubrey was a identified as a "suspect" was based on his race.

Also the story that the gun "accidentally" discharged sounds like the lawyers fabricating a tale, the video shows Mchale discharging 3 times and the third time he shot Aubrey as he was running away wounded.


It's amazing how you automatically focus on the race of a person, ignoring the fact that the McMichaels lived a few doors away from the house under construction and would have likely SEEN Mr Arbery running from there.

As to the gun accidentally discharging...if you have a person holding a firearm and another tries to take it from them, then it is likely that the trigger may be accidentally pressed by either person.

I'd also question why any person would run towards a person exiting their vehicle and try to take a gun from them instead of stopping to wait on the Police? It wouldn't be race related, as if he was so worried about this, it would seem highly unlikely that he would have gone to a neighbourhood like this in the first place.

Sadly, some people seem unable to look past a person's race and consider other possibilities, preferring to assume the worst in people rather than actually consider that this would have likely had the same result had Mr Arbery been of the same race as the McMichaels.


It's amazing how quick you are to dismiss racial motives given the culture of the area it happened and the long history of racially motivated violence. Perhaps investing your creativity into making excuses for racially motivated slayings helps you feel better about the world, but it won't actually help with addressing the legacy of white supremacy and the violence it motivates. It's nice that you've never had to worry about being lynched or taken for a starlight tour, but there's people in the area where this happened who actually do have to worry about that reality and they're not unreasonable to understand this incident in the context of a long history of being targeted and murdered without justice ever being sought.


_________________
All Praise To Athe, The God of Atheism


Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,819
Location: Melbourne, Australia

18 May 2020, 9:06 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
On the day of the shooting, it appears that the McMichaels were made aware of someone running from the property and moved to stop them.


How the McHales were made aware is not what's relevant. The fact Aubrey was a identified as a "suspect" was based on his race.

Also the story that the gun "accidentally" discharged sounds like the lawyers fabricating a tale, the video shows Mchale discharging 3 times and the third time he shot Aubrey as he was running away wounded.


It's amazing how you automatically focus on the race of a person, ignoring the fact that the McMichaels lived a few doors away from the house under construction and would have likely SEEN Mr Arbery running from there.

As to the gun accidentally discharging...if you have a person holding a firearm and another tries to take it from them, then it is likely that the trigger may be accidentally pressed by either person.

I'd also question why any person would run towards a person exiting their vehicle and try to take a gun from them instead of stopping to wait on the Police? It wouldn't be race related, as if he was so worried about this, it would seem highly unlikely that he would have gone to a neighbourhood like this in the first place.

Sadly, some people seem unable to look past a person's race and consider other possibilities, preferring to assume the worst in people rather than actually consider that this would have likely had the same result had Mr Arbery been of the same race as the McMichaels.


It's amazing how quick you are to dismiss racial motives given the culture of the area it happened and the long history of racially motivated violence. Perhaps investing your creativity into making excuses for racially motivated slayings helps you feel better about the world, but it won't actually help with addressing the legacy of white supremacy and the violence it motivates. It's nice that you've never had to worry about being lynched or taken for a starlight tour, but there's people in the area where this happened who actually do have to worry about that reality and they're not unreasonable to understand this incident in the context of a long history of being targeted and murdered without justice ever being sought.


So what you're saying, if I understand you correctly, is that there is such a problem with race issues in the area that Mr Arbery would be unlikely to have felt safe in the area he was in, yet chose to go there anyway instead of staying to "safe" areas?

Alternatively, not assuming the worst of people you do not know, it would appear that there were no issues related to race in the area, and this was purely a case of someone found trespassing on a site that had experienced a number of case sof trespassing in the recent past and where a number of thefts had occured in the surrounds, who then ran from the site, and instead of stopping tried to forcibly remove a firearm from another person and was shot as a result.

Personally, I can't imagine many people would voluntarily enter an area in which they would have been at such risk as you imply, so I highly doubt that your suggestion matches this case.


_________________
Quote:
"When people express opinions that differ from yours, take it as a chance to grow. Seek to understand over being understood. Be curious, not defensive. The only way to disarm another human being is by listening." - Glennon Doyle Melton

Quote:
“Indeed, you won the elections, but I won the count.” - Anastasio Somoz


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,712

18 May 2020, 9:08 pm

Brictoria wrote:
As to the gun accidentally discharging...if you have a person holding a firearm and another tries to take it from them, then it is likely that the trigger may be accidentally pressed by either person.

I'd also question why any person would run towards a person exiting their vehicle and try to take a gun from them instead of stopping to wait on the Police? It wouldn't be race related, as if he was so worried about this, it would seem highly unlikely that he would have gone to a neighbourhood like this in the first place.

Sadly, some people seem unable to look past a person's race and consider other possibilities, preferring to assume the worst in people rather than actually consider that this would have likely had the same result had Mr Arbery been of the same race as the McMichaels.


You are also making assumptions - re-read your post



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,712

18 May 2020, 9:11 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Personally, I can't imagine many people would voluntarily enter an area in which they would have been at such risk as you imply, so I highly doubt that your suggestion matches this case.


Closer to home if a Sudanese youth was walking around Toorak how long do you think it would be before one the neighbors calls the police?

The very fact there are spaces that black people feel uncomfortable is the problem!



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

19 May 2020, 4:36 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Check out "Crime talk" with Scott Reisch on youtube,it has a lot of info on this case

Thanks, I found it, and watched it.

Awesome,got to love the dumb criminal contestant of the day


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined
WrongPlanet is rancid,goodbye forever


Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,819
Location: Melbourne, Australia

19 May 2020, 8:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Personally, I can't imagine many people would voluntarily enter an area in which they would have been at such risk as you imply, so I highly doubt that your suggestion matches this case.


Closer to home if a Sudanese youth was walking around Toorak how long do you think it would be before one the neighbors calls the police?

The very fact there are spaces that black people feel uncomfortable is the problem!


Were the youth to be walking around normally, I'd be surprised if anyone called the police. Were the youth, however, seen wandering into private property, no doubt the police would be called rather promptly...But then again, I'd expect that would be the case regardless.

I realise this is unlikely to change the previously fixed opinions of some people, but I just found this video which gave an interesting overview of the case from the point of view of 2 lawyers, one Canadian, the other from the USA who handles civil rights cases - It is rather long, but quite enlightening.



It is interesting to see how both disagree with what happened to Mr Arbery morally, but also to see how what happened (or at least was known at the time of the video) is affected/relates to the laws in Georgia. They also discuss how the respective laws should, in their opinion, be changed, and how the law in the country/location where a person lives can impact thier belief in what should happen next based on the laws where they live. It also provided quite a bit of context regarding the actions of the McMichaels and how they fitted within (or outside) the legal requirements for the state.


_________________
Quote:
"When people express opinions that differ from yours, take it as a chance to grow. Seek to understand over being understood. Be curious, not defensive. The only way to disarm another human being is by listening." - Glennon Doyle Melton

Quote:
“Indeed, you won the elections, but I won the count.” - Anastasio Somoz


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,721
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

19 May 2020, 11:32 am

Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
On the day of the shooting, it appears that the McMichaels were made aware of someone running from the property and moved to stop them.


How the McHales were made aware is not what's relevant. The fact Aubrey was a identified as a "suspect" was based on his race.

Also the story that the gun "accidentally" discharged sounds like the lawyers fabricating a tale, the video shows Mchale discharging 3 times and the third time he shot Aubrey as he was running away wounded.


It's amazing how you automatically focus on the race of a person, ignoring the fact that the McMichaels lived a few doors away from the house under construction and would have likely SEEN Mr Arbery running from there.

As to the gun accidentally discharging...if you have a person holding a firearm and another tries to take it from them, then it is likely that the trigger may be accidentally pressed by either person.

I'd also question why any person would run towards a person exiting their vehicle and try to take a gun from them instead of stopping to wait on the Police? It wouldn't be race related, as if he was so worried about this, it would seem highly unlikely that he would have gone to a neighbourhood like this in the first place.

Sadly, some people seem unable to look past a person's race and consider other possibilities, preferring to assume the worst in people rather than actually consider that this would have likely had the same result had Mr Arbery been of the same race as the McMichaels.


It's amazing how quick you are to dismiss racial motives given the culture of the area it happened and the long history of racially motivated violence. Perhaps investing your creativity into making excuses for racially motivated slayings helps you feel better about the world, but it won't actually help with addressing the legacy of white supremacy and the violence it motivates. It's nice that you've never had to worry about being lynched or taken for a starlight tour, but there's people in the area where this happened who actually do have to worry about that reality and they're not unreasonable to understand this incident in the context of a long history of being targeted and murdered without justice ever being sought.


So what you're saying, if I understand you correctly, is that there is such a problem with race issues in the area that Mr Arbery would be unlikely to have felt safe in the area he was in, yet chose to go there anyway instead of staying to "safe" areas?

Alternatively, not assuming the worst of people you do not know, it would appear that there were no issues related to race in the area, and this was purely a case of someone found trespassing on a site that had experienced a number of case sof trespassing in the recent past and where a number of thefts had occured in the surrounds, who then ran from the site, and instead of stopping tried to forcibly remove a firearm from another person and was shot as a result.

Personally, I can't imagine many people would voluntarily enter an area in which they would have been at such risk as you imply, so I highly doubt that your suggestion matches this case.


The fact that you personally wouldn't enter an area you feel at risk is irrelevant, because you don't have the same experiences he's likely to have had. If that feeling of never being certain of your safety is constant it just becomes something one deals with because they can't escape it.

Whether or not you're capable of imagining something happening is irrelevant to whether or not it happened.


_________________
All Praise To Athe, The God of Atheism


Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,819
Location: Melbourne, Australia

19 May 2020, 7:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
On the day of the shooting, it appears that the McMichaels were made aware of someone running from the property and moved to stop them.


How the McHales were made aware is not what's relevant. The fact Aubrey was a identified as a "suspect" was based on his race.

Also the story that the gun "accidentally" discharged sounds like the lawyers fabricating a tale, the video shows Mchale discharging 3 times and the third time he shot Aubrey as he was running away wounded.


It's amazing how you automatically focus on the race of a person, ignoring the fact that the McMichaels lived a few doors away from the house under construction and would have likely SEEN Mr Arbery running from there.

As to the gun accidentally discharging...if you have a person holding a firearm and another tries to take it from them, then it is likely that the trigger may be accidentally pressed by either person.

I'd also question why any person would run towards a person exiting their vehicle and try to take a gun from them instead of stopping to wait on the Police? It wouldn't be race related, as if he was so worried about this, it would seem highly unlikely that he would have gone to a neighbourhood like this in the first place.

Sadly, some people seem unable to look past a person's race and consider other possibilities, preferring to assume the worst in people rather than actually consider that this would have likely had the same result had Mr Arbery been of the same race as the McMichaels.


It's amazing how quick you are to dismiss racial motives given the culture of the area it happened and the long history of racially motivated violence. Perhaps investing your creativity into making excuses for racially motivated slayings helps you feel better about the world, but it won't actually help with addressing the legacy of white supremacy and the violence it motivates. It's nice that you've never had to worry about being lynched or taken for a starlight tour, but there's people in the area where this happened who actually do have to worry about that reality and they're not unreasonable to understand this incident in the context of a long history of being targeted and murdered without justice ever being sought.


So what you're saying, if I understand you correctly, is that there is such a problem with race issues in the area that Mr Arbery would be unlikely to have felt safe in the area he was in, yet chose to go there anyway instead of staying to "safe" areas?

Alternatively, not assuming the worst of people you do not know, it would appear that there were no issues related to race in the area, and this was purely a case of someone found trespassing on a site that had experienced a number of case sof trespassing in the recent past and where a number of thefts had occured in the surrounds, who then ran from the site, and instead of stopping tried to forcibly remove a firearm from another person and was shot as a result.

Personally, I can't imagine many people would voluntarily enter an area in which they would have been at such risk as you imply, so I highly doubt that your suggestion matches this case.


The fact that you personally wouldn't enter an area you feel at risk is irrelevant, because you don't have the same experiences he's likely to have had. If that feeling of never being certain of your safety is constant it just becomes something one deals with because they can't escape it.

Whether or not you're capable of imagining something happening is irrelevant to whether or not it happened.


Similarly, having looked into what occurred in the complete video, along with the actual laws in the state this happened, it appears that the only time a weapon was pointed in the direction of Mr Arbery was when he attempted to wrestle one away from the younger McMichaels, hardly the actions of people who you claimed wanted to kill Mr Arbery because of his race.

Sadly, the media have trained some people to make certain assumptions on these cases through the choice of facts they emphasise or omit in their initial reporting.

Should Mr Arbery have died: No.
Is there ANYTHING or any FACTS to indicate that he was shot\shot at\killed as a result of his skin colour/race - No.
Are the initial reports in the media (and exerpts from video of the event) designed\written to give the impression that this was about race - Yes.

I would suggest you watch/listen to the video I linked earlier, but I doubt there is anything that can be done to help you see that not every case of a black person being shot by a white person is automatically about race, and it is the fact that some people have been trained to make these assumptions that helps fuel racial divides.


_________________
Quote:
"When people express opinions that differ from yours, take it as a chance to grow. Seek to understand over being understood. Be curious, not defensive. The only way to disarm another human being is by listening." - Glennon Doyle Melton

Quote:
“Indeed, you won the elections, but I won the count.” - Anastasio Somoz