Woman calls cops another Black Jogger

Page 42 of 70 [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 70  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 12:36 am

So she will do false reports on anyone if they get in her way then.

She may not truly be racist but what she did was racist.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 1:01 am

League_Girl wrote:

No I agree, she "weaponised" race to manipulate the situation in order to punish Christian Cooper.

The only thing in her favour is Christian Cooper is apparently embarrassed that Amy Cooper might go to jail and may not cooperate with the prosecutors.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 1:19 am

League_Girl wrote:

What was the false report?

1. Did the man escalate the confrontation? YES
2. Is the man African American? YES
3. Is the man in the park? YES
4. Did the man make a threat at her? YES
5. Was the man threatening to lure her dog away with his biscuits? YES

According to the statute she is charged under, something she reported has to be GRATUITOUSLY FALSE.

Be the hero of your life.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 2:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

No I agree, she "weaponised" race to manipulate the situation in order to punish Christian Cooper.

The only thing in her favour is Christian Cooper is apparently embarrassed that Amy Cooper might go to jail and may not cooperate with the prosecutors.

I thought it was because he felt she had already been punished enough. I say that woman is lucky this man isn't the type of person who seeks revenge. He seems to be forgiving and wanting to move on. I was even surprised he accepted her apology because most people do not accept apologies.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 2:41 am

League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I thought it was because he felt she had already been punished enough. I say that woman is lucky this man isn't the type of person who seeks revenge. He seems to be forgiving and wanting to move on. I was even surprised he accepted her apology because most people do not accept apologies.

I'll stick to the "innocent until proven guilty" approach over the rush to mob justice...

Let's see what information turns up in the case that we are not yet aware of, and which may have affected the interaction between the 2 of them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 4:02 am

League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Well yeah, I think he (Christian) is now feeling guilty over the damage this has caused her life. Sometimes the equation doesn't add up.

For what its worth she has suffered enough....despite calls for her to go to jail.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 4:03 am

Brictoria wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I'll stick to the "innocent until proven guilty" approach over the rush to mob justice...

Let's see what information turns up in the case that we are not yet aware of, and which may have affected the interaction between the 2 of them.

The next instalment of the "Hanging with the Coopers"

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 3:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:
QFT wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
"I will do what I want and you may not like it"

Still a bigger issue if that is percieved as a threat.

Why would applying a dictionary definition of a threat imply a bigger issue. Dictionary definition of a threat is "if you do X I will do Y". The statement "if you don't leash the dog I will do something you might not like" fits that definition perfectly. So why would one have to have a "bigger issue" in order to use that dictionary definition?

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Edit: I'd also suggest that claiming\implying a person is "racist" due to their race (as was the case here) indicates a "racist" mentatlity in those making the claim. I'm certain that, were the roles reversed, no-one would have cared about the "racism" in a PoC female reporting a "white" man in similar circumstances...

People always love to claim reverse racism to justify racism and pretend it doesn't exist.

It would be justified because black people have always been oppressed do how are they going to know you aren't just an as*hole who is randomly threatening them?

Is it bigotry if an autistic person assumes they got singled out because they are autistic?

Look at The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Wolf had been called way too many times for centuries on the minority so of course they are justified in thinking they are dealing with racism just like we are justified to assume we are dealing with ableism.

I would still need to see sources where a black person has called the cops on a white person for no reason.

This argument goes both ways though:

Anti-black racism:

1a) Blacks are statistically more prone to crime

1b) Thats why blacks end up being stereotyped as criminals

1c) This is unfair because there are black "individuals" that are not criminals and its not their fault that a lot of other people of their race are.

Anti-white racism:

2a) Whites had a history of discrimination against blacks

2b) Thats why whites are stereotyped as being racist against blacks

2c) This is unfair because there are white "individuals" that are not racist against blacks and its not their fault that a lot of other people of their race are.

As a side note, its not true that whites are more racist than others. In fact, the opposite is far more likely to be the case. For example, in Mediteranian, Indian and Japanese cultures its very much the norm to stick to one's group. In western culture, on the other hand, assimilation is encouraged due to the modernization. I don't know how the western culture would compare to other cultures back in the 17-th century, but at least right now in the 21-st century the western culture is far more influenced by modernization than the others and, therefore, its one of the least racist ones.

I think the historical record of White racism is not due to actual racist *beliefs* but rather its due to the *power* to enforce them. If, for example, people in India decided to bring a bunch of European slaves, they wouldn't have power to do it since Europeans had better developed weapons. But when Americans decided to bring slaves from Africa, they easily could. That doesn't mean Americans are more racist than people in India. It just means they had more physical power (in a form of technology) to "enforce" their racism.

If you want to apply the dictionary in this, in that case, parents threaten their kids all the time. "If you don't clean your room, you will be grounded." Even authority uses threats, teachers, school principal, baby sitters, anyone in charge including managers and bosses and supervisors. Seriously, if all these cause panic in someone, that person does have a serious problem. My mom used my anxiety to her advantage by using extreme threats with me like "If you don't do this, I will spank you until your skin bleeds" and bam it got me to obey lol. Now I doubt she would have beaten me. It was just a empty threat. I just took things too damn seriously because I was so literal. A regular child wouldn't have taken it seriously and just think "yeah right." They test their limits to see if you are serious.

From my experience, the examples that you gave are common in adult-child interaction but not so common when it comes to interaction between adults. In fact this is one of the things that kept screwing me over. As a child, I had a lot of such "empty threats" from my parents, so I learned not to take them seriously -- but then when I heard similar statements from other adults I also assumed they weren't serious but they were.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 6:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Well yeah, I think he (Christian) is now feeling guilty over the damage this has caused her life. Sometimes the equation doesn't add up.

For what its worth she has suffered enough....despite calls for her to go to jail.

Taking videos of someone and putting it online can ruin their life. Too bad he had to learn it the hard way.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 6:49 pm

QFT wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
QFT wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:

Why would applying a dictionary definition of a threat imply a bigger issue. Dictionary definition of a threat is "if you do X I will do Y". The statement "if you don't leash the dog I will do something you might not like" fits that definition perfectly. So why would one have to have a "bigger issue" in order to use that dictionary definition?

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Edit: I'd also suggest that claiming\implying a person is "racist" due to their race (as was the case here) indicates a "racist" mentatlity in those making the claim. I'm certain that, were the roles reversed, no-one would have cared about the "racism" in a PoC female reporting a "white" man in similar circumstances...

People always love to claim reverse racism to justify racism and pretend it doesn't exist.

It would be justified because black people have always been oppressed do how are they going to know you aren't just an as*hole who is randomly threatening them?

Is it bigotry if an autistic person assumes they got singled out because they are autistic?

Wolf had been called way too many times for centuries on the minority so of course they are justified in thinking they are dealing with racism just like we are justified to assume we are dealing with ableism.

I would still need to see sources where a black person has called the cops on a white person for no reason.

Anti-black racism:

1c) This is unfair because there are black "individuals" that are not criminals and its not their fault that a lot of other people of their race are.

Anti-white racism:

2c) This is unfair because there are white "individuals" that are not racist against blacks and its not their fault that a lot of other people of their race are.

As a side note, its not true that whites are more racist than others. In fact, the opposite is far more likely to be the case. For example, in Mediteranian, Indian and Japanese cultures its very much the norm to stick to one's group. In western culture, on the other hand, assimilation is encouraged due to the modernization. I don't know how the western culture would compare to other cultures back in the 17-th century, but at least right now in the 21-st century the western culture is far more influenced by modernization than the others and, therefore, its one of the least racist ones.

I think the historical record of White racism is not due to actual racist *beliefs* but rather its due to the *power* to enforce them. If, for example, people in India decided to bring a bunch of European slaves, they wouldn't have power to do it since Europeans had better developed weapons. But when Americans decided to bring slaves from Africa, they easily could. That doesn't mean Americans are more racist than people in India. It just means they had more physical power (in a form of technology) to "enforce" their racism.

If you want to apply the dictionary in this, in that case, parents threaten their kids all the time. "If you don't clean your room, you will be grounded." Even authority uses threats, teachers, school principal, baby sitters, anyone in charge including managers and bosses and supervisors. Seriously, if all these cause panic in someone, that person does have a serious problem. My mom used my anxiety to her advantage by using extreme threats with me like "If you don't do this, I will spank you until your skin bleeds" and bam it got me to obey lol. Now I doubt she would have beaten me. It was just a empty threat. I just took things too damn seriously because I was so literal. A regular child wouldn't have taken it seriously and just think "yeah right." They test their limits to see if you are serious.

From my experience, the examples that you gave are common in adult-child interaction but not so common when it comes to interaction between adults. In fact this is one of the things that kept screwing me over. As a child, I had a lot of such "empty threats" from my parents, so I learned not to take them seriously -- but then when I heard similar statements from other adults I also assumed they weren't serious but they were.

My mom would actually follow through and would even stage them and give us another chance after we were begging her. She would even threaten to abandon us on the side of the road and has actually pulled over to side ordering us to get out.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 6:54 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Taking videos of someone and putting it online can ruin their life. Too bad he had to learn it the hard way.

Despite attempts to cast Christian Cooper as some type of creep; he is actually quite decent about not wanting to make Amy suffer.

I recall (ironically) he was also not happy she lost her job. His perspective is that he wanted Amy Cooper to take responsibility for her actions. If he doesn't cooperate with prosecutors I think they will not pursue the case any further.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 7:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Despite attempts to cast Christian Cooper as some type of creep; he is actually quite decent about not wanting to make Amy suffer.

I recall (ironically) he was also not happy she lost her job. His perspective is that he wanted Amy Cooper to take responsibility for her actions. If he doesn't cooperate with prosecutors I think they will not pursue the case any further.

Maybe he was just thinking of it as some kind of a game and didn't realize the consequences. That doesn't change the fact that his behavior did all the damage it did. And that also doesn't change the fact that he scared the hell out of her -- she wasn't mind reader so there was no way for her to know that to him it was just a game.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 7:08 pm

League_Girl wrote:
QFT wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
QFT wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:

Anti-black racism:

Anti-white racism:

My mom would actually follow through and would even stage them and give us another chance after we were begging her. She would even threaten to abandon us on the side of the road and has actually pulled over to side ordering us to get out.

Oh wow, I am so sorry to hear it. Would you say your parents were abusive?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 7:20 pm

QFT wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that his behavior did all the damage it did. And that also doesn't change the fact that he scared the hell out of her -- she wasn't mind reader so there was no way for her to know that to him it was just a game.

Christian Cooper is not on trial though. Mayor Cuomo's legislation means Amy Cooper is on trial for wasting police resources and making a false report.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 7:23 pm

League_Girl wrote:
[She would even threaten to abandon us on the side of the road and has actually pulled over to side ordering us to get out.

That's the oldest trick in the NT book of parenting. Nothing unusual there, plenty of times my mother threatened to throw me and my siblings out of the car :lol:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 7:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

The problem is that, once charges have been filed, it relies on the defence agreeing for them to be dropped. Should her defence feel they have a good chance of winning, they may push to have the case proceed in order that she be vindicated after what she has been put through.