Woman calls cops another Black Jogger

Page 18 of 70 [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 70  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 2:03 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Are you OK with people like Zimmerman, Christian Cooper, or the McMichaels, confronting people they *think* committed a crime?

Are you OK with them acting as law enforcement and making demands on people?

Are you OK with them provoking the person they confront (getting in their space, doing stuff to agitate them) ?

I don't approve Zimmerman or McMichaels hunting innocent black people and then killing them so no....

I have no issue with Christian Cooper telling Amy Cooper to leash her dog.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 3:27 am

cyberdad wrote:

I have no issue with Christian Cooper telling Amy Cooper to leash her dog either. What I have issue with is all those graphic demonstrations he did. You seem to be lumping these two things together, yet 99% of population manage to do the former without doing the latter just fine.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 3:33 am

QFT wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I have no issue with Christian Cooper telling Amy Cooper to leash her dog either. What I have issue with is all those graphic demonstrations he did. You seem to be lumping these two things together, yet 99% of population manage to do the former without doing the latter just fine.

That's not what happened? why am I the only one defending this guy?
He (C.Cooper) told her (A.Cooper) to take her dog elsewhere, and when she refused, he said, “Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it,”

It's hardly a threat??? when you put the conversation in context he was being reasonable. As far as looking threatening, he is well spoken, well dressed and had a bicycle helmet, bike and binoculars.

Had he been white I am 100% sure she would have walked away as she would have recognised somebody from her own sociodemographic...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 4:00 am

Fnord wrote:
Why anyone would defend racism -- especially blatant racism -- is a complete mystery to me.

Mystery? It's not that big of leap to suggest that people who defend racism do so because they agree with it and don't see the problem. It's the intuitive solution to the question even if it's not politically correct to state aloud.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 5:00 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Why anyone would defend racism -- especially blatant racism -- is a complete mystery to me.

Mystery? It's not that big of leap to suggest that people who defend racism do so because they agree with it and don't see the problem. It's the intuitive solution to the question even if it's not politically correct to state aloud.

It could equally be posited that those who see racism everywhere and make such an effort to point it out, only see it because they recognise their own inner thoughts and so need to "purify" themselves by belittling another person.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 5:04 am

Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It could equally be posited that those who see racism everywhere and make such an effort to point it out, only see it because they recognise their own inner thoughts and so need to "purify" themselves by belittling another person.

You make a lot of way off assumptions.

Last edited by envirozentinel on 05 Jun 2020, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.: heritage/racial reference removed

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 5:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:

You make a lot of way off assumptions British Victorian....

Thank you for a perfect demonstration of what I had been saying...Derogatory use of a racial identifier, with no evidence to support the claim made, purely to supress another's point of view.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:10 am

Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Some people follow a "Narrative" and use confirmation bias to keep it alive.
Others are more interested in being objective, with the intention of getting to the Truth, no matter where it may lie.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:17 am

Most people would not have emphasized that the guy who was “attacking” her was African-American during the 911 call. Unless she was asked to give a description.

I don’t know if she was racist. It does seem to me that she wanted to use “race” to gain some sort of advantage. She thought she had the right not to leash her dog, and thought the guy was violating that right.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most people would not have emphasized that the guy who was “attacking” her was African-American during the 911 call. Unless she was asked to give a description.

I don’t know if she was racist. It does seem to me that she wanted to use “race” to gain some sort of advantage. She thought she had the right not to leash her dog, and thought the guy was violating that right.

As I mentioned before, she went "Fruit Loop".
If people can't see that, they need to work on their observation and interpretation abilities, imo.
People do stupid things when they feel threatened.
It happens all the time that people "Snap".

She acted appallingly, in hindsight, her hindsight, I imagine.
But the circumstances here make it understandable, using my own life experiences.

Much of the problem with the interpretation of this event is caused by the infusion of sanctimony, self-righteousness and virtue signalling.
Most people have difficultly in constructing an objective, non-judgemental mindset.

Humanity.
What can you do? :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:47 am

this is starting to remind me of "blue dress/white dress" :nerdy:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:51 am

^ I’ve heard of that, but don’t know it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
this is starting to remind me of "blue dress/white dress" :nerdy:

I am "Colour Blind" here.
The Truth has no need of colour. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

As Fnord would say: "Google is your friend".

BTW, you are early today. ;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 11:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
That's not what happened? why am I the only one defending this guy?
He (C.Cooper) told her (A.Cooper) to take her dog elsewhere, and when she refused, he said, “Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it,”

It's hardly a threat???

The use of "if/then" is part of the very definition of the threat. This is what the threat is defined as: "if you are not going to do what I say, I will do something you won't like".

I realize that he didn't make up the rules about the dog being on leash, the park did, so he had every right to ask her to obey these rules. But like I said, there are ways of asking without making a threat. My issue is not that he asked but rather how he asked.

If he wanted to make if/then statement, the only thing that should have been after "then" should have been the prescribed punishment (that is, call a security), nothing beyond that.

cyberdad wrote:
As far as looking threatening, he is well spoken, well dressed and had a bicycle helmet, bike and binoculars.

So, in other words, you think its okay to judge people by appearance yet its not okay to judge them by race? I guess this touches upon my earlier question about comparing my situation with my officemate and his situation with that woman. In my case, I am poorly groomed and not well spoken of. So are you saying that being poorly groomed and not well spoken of would justify being given a cold shoulder while being black would not? Why is there such a double standard? I mean,

Grooming= your outside appearance that has nothing to do with your attitude on the inside

Well liked = opinion of people on the outside that have nothing to do with who you are on the inside

Both are about social privilege as opposed to being a good person.

Incidentally, when we talked about my officemate, you also suggested that not being physically attractive might be genetic (you mentioned, for example, that more attractive people have more symmetric features). So if skin color is genetic, and symmetry of body features is genetic too, why is it not okay to judge others based on skin color yet it is okay to judge them based on the symmetry?