Woman calls cops another Black Jogger

Page 44 of 70 [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 70  Next

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 1:47 pm

Sylkat wrote:
She made a decision not to obey them.

She's not being charged with "dog off leash".

So, it may be an unenforced rule.

Be the hero of your life.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 1:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
If it turns out the woman has a mental issue or she was abused as a kid so she perceived it as a threat because that was what her abuser did to her as a child and then beat her let's say, that can be used in court to help reduce her sentence. It is definitely not a normal reaction to react to, "If you don't do this, I will do something about it."

But the fact she had to mention African American as a first thing to describe him makes me think she is a racist and she weaponized it.

She reacted to ...

1) The man says, "I am going to do something you won't like".
2) He pulls out dog biscuits and threatens to lure her dog away.

She screamed at him not to harm her dog.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 7:23 pm

She’ll probably be sentenced to do community service.....or get an ACD with community service. I would place the odds on her going to jail at 1,000 - 1.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 7:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
She’ll probably be sentenced to do community service.....or get an ACD with community service. I would place the odds on her going to jail at 1,000 - 1.

You think she shouldn't of called the police?

As her lawyer says in the video, we want people to call people when there is a confrontation.

We don't want this to escalate to a Bernard Goetz event.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:01 pm

The guy wasn’t going to do anything to her. He was overzealous about her putting on the leash—but he was no thug.

This was no Bernie Goetz—trust me. Goetz was surrounded by five guys while he was sitting on a subway seat. They were armed with screwdrivers—possibly sharpened. One guy asked him for $5. Nobody asks anybody for $5 in the street. They were obviously going to rob him. Goetz fired his gun at the five guys. One guy became paralyzed for life; the others suffered non-life threatening gunshot wounds.

Goetz got a year in jail, released after 7 months, I believe. It was for possession of a loaded gun.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

The issue is whether her use of the word "African American" was intentional to cause harm. It would be interesting to know if governor Cuomo's new law will lead to more serious punishment as a hate crime?

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:25 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Sylkat wrote:
She made a decision not to obey them.

She's not being charged with "dog off leash".

So, it may be an unenforced rule.

Thats an interesting observation. Which is also quite ironic. The violation that she "was" guilty of she got away with, but the violation she is "not" guilty of she was persecutted for.

I guess the message is "do whatever you want just don't bother authorities". Thats why

a) Authorities didn't bother charging Amy with off-leash violation

b) Authorities were just fine with Christian taking their role since they don't want to do their own job so let someone else do it, why not

c) They charged Amy for calling them because they wanted to be left out of it and she disturbed their peace.

In some sense, I even "wish" that was the case. The authorities are overstepping their role in the US quite a bit actually. But unfortunately its just an isolated incident. Perhaps the REAL reason they acted this way is that they felt too much white guilt after the incident with Floyd so they decided to err in blacks' favor?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The guy wasn’t going to do anything to her.

He may not have been going to do so, but she may have understood his words to mean otherwise.

Also, seeing words on a screen does not convey tone used to deliver them, nor demeanour of person saying them.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

The issue is whether her use of the word "African American" was intentional to cause harm. It would be interesting to know if governor Cuomo's new law will lead to more serious punishment as a hate crime?

Its US, not Canada. In Canada you can be prosecuted for saying racist things. In US you can't be. Of course, if racism is accompanied by some other crime then you can be prosecutted for that "other" crime. For example, if you beat someone up because they are black then you can be prosecutted for the fact that you beat them up -- because physical violence is a crime *independently* of race. But you see, if you were to beat someone white you would be prosecutted for it too. So the issue is not whether or not you are racist, the issue is whether or not you violated the law.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 8:40 pm

QFT wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Its US, not Canada. In Canada you can be prosecuted for saying racist things. In US you can't be. Of course, if racism is accompanied by some other crime then you can be prosecutted for that "other" crime. For example, if you beat someone up because they are black then you can be prosecutted for the fact that you beat them up -- because physical violence is a crime *independently* of race. But you see, if you were to beat someone white you would be prosecutted for it too. So the issue is not whether or not you are racist, the issue is whether or not you violated the law.

My understanding is Cuomo's new law is a 911 false accusation bill. It's up to the judge to decide on the punishment based on whether they interpret Amy Cooper used race to make a false claim.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 11:38 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
If it turns out the woman has a mental issue or she was abused as a kid so she perceived it as a threat because that was what her abuser did to her as a child and then beat her let's say, that can be used in court to help reduce her sentence. It is definitely not a normal reaction to react to, "If you don't do this, I will do something about it."

But the fact she had to mention African American as a first thing to describe him makes me think she is a racist and she weaponized it.

She reacted to ...

Curious, were you and anyone else in this thread abused? I am asking because you are all perceiving it as a threat while this looks like normal daily life stuff people say when you are not being good.

Plus Amy pretty much admitted in her apology that she misjudged him and was wrong about him. I hope she recognized her bias and challenge it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 1:23 am

League_Girl wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

She reacted to ...

Curious, were you and anyone else in this thread abused? I am asking because you are all perceiving it as a threat while this looks like normal daily life stuff people say when you are not being good.

Plus Amy pretty much admitted in her apology that she misjudged him and was wrong about him. I hope she recognized her bias and challenge it.

Was the appology before or after she had a chance to talk to him in a non-threatening (to her) situation?

Just because YOU don't see a threat there doesn't mean others wouldn't see\believe in the possibility of a threat (as witnessed in this thread).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 1:50 am

Brictoria wrote:
Was the appology before or after she had a chance to talk to him in a non-threatening (to her) situation?

She basically "spilled the beans" when making her apology. Her comment that "she felt threatened" was designed (probably on instructions from her lawyer) to prevent possible litigation based on the allegation she committing a hate crime.

So she hasn't quite taken full responsibility for her actions.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 2:15 am

League_Girl wrote:

Whether a threat happened or not is irrelevant...

Citizens don't have to wait for a crime .. they're told to report on people who appear suspicious.

Law enforcement tells us ...

New York ...It's OK to be wrong .. the POLICE WANT REPORTS OF POTENTIAL CRIMES

Last edited by TheRobotLives on 17 Jul 2020, 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 2:21 am

Technically when Karen was younger she learned the ropes of making 911 calls as a Becky

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 2:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

She basically "spilled the beans" when making her apology. Her comment that "she felt threatened" was designed (probably on instructions from her lawyer) to prevent possible litigation based on the allegation she committing a hate crime.

So she hasn't quite taken full responsibility for her actions.

So, you know FOR A FACT that she didn't feel threatened in the situation she had been in?

If not, we have no reason not to believe what she said, and trying to make her out as a racist is simply a dishonest attempt to gain an appearance of moral superiority over her (and others who prefer to have all information instead of taking the pavlovian responce of "racism" based on a minimal amount of selective information).