Dara Ó Briain joins protests at rejection of Irish words on

Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 1:32 am

Dara Ó Briain joins protests at rejection of Irish words on Coventry gravestone because they are 'political'

Quote:
Television presenter Dara Ó Briain has branded a church court's decision not to allow an Irish-language inscription on the gravestone of a local community champion “deeply stupid".

The comedian lambasted the rejection of a family’s request for the phrase “in ár gcroíthe go deo” to be included on the memorial for Irish-born Margaret Keane at St Giles Church Exhall in Ash Green.

The Chancellor of the Diocese of Coventry ruled the phrase, which translates as “in our hearts forever”, would not be understandable to many visitors to the graveyard and could be misinterpreted as a political slogan.

I think he is being kind when he says its deeply stupid.
Though he does rip it apart nicely while managing typical comedic delivery. :lol:
Quote:
He said on Twitter: “This is deeply stupid. The judgement is that an imaginary person, at some time in the future, might see ‘You live on in our Hearts’, written in Irish, not understand it, but JUST PRESUME it must be political, since it’s Irish and then…what?… feel uncomfortable? Unsettled?"

In following messages, Ó Briain added: “So the family don’t get to give the tribute they want to their beloved mother because we apparently have to protect the feelings of some imaginary idiot in the future who can’t imagine the Irish language can carry any human emotions other than ‘Tiocfaidh ár Lá’ [our day will come].

Source

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 1:54 am

Why are they perceived as political? and by whom?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 2:32 am

My understanding would be that as the Irish language was suppressed from early colonial times it came to have a symbolic meaning on many levels.

In living memory, we have "The Troubles in Northern Ireland", the atrocities are still quite raw for many and Republicanism is often associated with the Irish language, perhaps mostly by people not from the country.

In Northern Ireland it would be considered political to refuse the printing of Irish or Ulster Scots on a headstone.

Much the same as it would be unacceptable to refuse the printing of the Welsh language on a headstone in England (also a suppressed language in the past).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 2:50 am

It seems a little preposterous to equate a headstone epitaph to some type of political movement? Perhaps a conversation can be had by the family with the relevant authorities that this will escalate to the media. Probably needs a debate.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 2:58 am

I'm astonished. Also curious as to whether this news of an Irish epitaph on an Irish grave was generally received in Ireland with astonishment, and/or anger, unsurprised complacency or what...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 4:19 am

The British occupation forces in northern Ireland largely neutered irish nationalism. The whole pretext for British troops is a legacy of Henry VIII's programme of colonisation and extermination of Irish culture. It was fairly successful and I doubt the irish media are going to say anything.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jun 2020, 4:29 am

They could just add a little asterisk with the English translation as a "footnote" to the headstone....quite easily done.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 4:33 am

A lot of irishmen are going to think twice before belting out "Danny Boy" at their local pub

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 4:37 am

B19 wrote:
I'm astonished. Also curious as to whether this news of an Irish epitaph on an Irish grave was generally received in Ireland with astonishment, and/or anger, unsurprised complacency or what...

Since the Gaelic revival after independence the Irish language has been taught as a mandatory subject for 14 years in primary and secondary education.

So seeing it on a headstone would be viewed with an indifferent attitude and most likely guesswork... if the person felt challenged enough to translate it without google translate. :)

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 4:39 am

Lol Cyberdad, you have some funny notions about the Irish, cant remember hearing anyone sing that in a pub, I think we learned it as children in school.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 4:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
The British occupation forces in northern Ireland largely neutered irish nationalism. The whole pretext for British troops is a legacy of Henry VIII's programme of colonisation and extermination of Irish culture. It was fairly successful and I doubt the irish media are going to say anything.

This is pieced together information and not quite accurate. A history lesson going back almost a century would take too long. :) Maybe read a bit of background info?
Wikipedia is quite neutral.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 4:56 am

Amity wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

This is pieced together information and not quite accurate. A history lesson going back almost a century would take too long. :) Maybe read a bit of background info?
Wikipedia is quite neutral.

Sorry, I'll leave the Irish history to somebody who is Irish then :oops:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 4:58 am

Amity wrote:
Lol Cyberdad, you have some funny notions about the Irish, cant remember hearing anyone sing that in a pub, I think we learned it as children in school.

You might enjoy this story :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDOoiLx54bc

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 5:01 am

I'm actually jealous, Irish is my favourite accent in the world. I also love irish music.

I watched the entire season of "Peaky Blinders" because the Shelby's speaking English with an irish accent was like AMSR to my ears.

Apologies for going off topic...too much stuff on racism and COVID-19, getting sick of it...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 5:05 am

Also love the Irish sense of humour- this is an Irish car bomb - Guinness followed by an Irish cream and whiskey :lol:

Perhaps the rest of us could learn a "ting or two"

Last edited by cyberdad on 07 Jun 2020, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 5:19 am

So, unless I’m completely misunderstanding this, the consistory court has, in effect, given the inscription political overtones out of fear that it could be misinterpreted as having political overtones?

When they could have just let it be with little likelihood any random passing stranger would notice, or recognise the inscription as Irish as opposed to Scots Gaelic or Manx if they did?

Well done lads. :roll: