White man and woman deface Black Lives Matter mural in CA.

Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 6:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Would the "nice" Royal Canadian Mounted Police be an effective in controlling crime in America I doubt it.

Nice? :lol: A force widely known for practices like dumping indigenous people outside of town in the middle of winter is nice? You might not feel the same if they murdered or maimed your loved ones via a starlight tour. They have the same history of racist violence as any American police force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatoon_freezing_deaths

A quick check of links in your provided link says the Saskatoon Police Service partner with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police not that they are the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

I am sure I can find horrible things the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have done but one can not argue that in general the RCMP police in a much more light-handed manner than their counterparts south of the border. I would think they would have trouble with gang bangers and armed militias.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 6:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am sure I can find horrible things the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have done but one can not argue that in general the RCMP police in a much more light-handed manner than their counterparts south of the border. I would think they would have trouble with gang bangers and armed militias.

The link discusses one specific incident. It's common enough there's a slang term for it, starlight tour. Google it.

The RCMP are just as prone to racist violence as any other police force in the US or Canada. If they were given jurisdiction in some American community they would equip themselves for the circumstances (they already have assault rifles in every car here) and they likely wouldn't behave any better than American police. If anything it's possible they'd be more prone to acting like an occupying force because it would be easier to see themselves as not part of the community, basically the same problem many US forces have would infect them.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 09 Jul 2020, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 6:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Would the "nice" Royal Canadian Mounted Police be an effective in controlling crime in America I doubt it.

Nice? :lol: A force widely known for practices like dumping indigenous people outside of town in the middle of winter is nice? You might not feel the same if they murdered or maimed your loved ones via a starlight tour. They have the same history of racist violence as any American police force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatoon_freezing_deaths

Stonewall Jackson would be proud, smiling from the US $20 note.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 2:00 pm

Vandal dumps red paint on Black Lives Matter mural outside Trump Tower

Quote:
An unidentified man walked up to the giant mural outside the Midtown skyscraper and poured red paint on the bright yellow letters shortly after noon Monday, then ran off before cops showed up to survey the damage.

“I knew it was going to happen — there’s all this racist s–t going on,” construction worker Billy McCabe told The Post. “The mural shouldn’t have been done right in front of Trump Tower.”

The mural, announced by de Blasio earlier this month, has already become a flashpoint for face-offs between pro- and anti-Trump forces — including an ugly back-and-forth on Saturday.

De Blasio commissioned the mural last month, and on Thursday he was jeered by protesters as he helped paint the mural with first lady Chirlane McCray and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Police said the assailant who vandalized the massive message Monday walked up Fifth Avenue at 12:13 p.m. wearing a black shirt and a black hat, dumped the paint, then ran down 56th Street, police said.

The blotch of paint, dumped between “Black” and “Lives,” was smeared over much of the mural by passing traffic.

“I wish I’d tackled him, but I’m old and fat so I didn’t,” said Paul Rossen, who wore a “Dump Trump” face mask and a BLM T-shirt and was selling anti-Trump merchandise nearby when the vandal showed up.

“I don’t like anybody blocking free speech, and even though I hate Trump, I would never think of vandalizing something pro-Trump,” he said.

Nearby, a man with a MAGA hat walked back and forth holding a sign that read, “The only time black lives matter is when they are shot by a white policeman or an Oreo cookie. Defend all policemen.”

“He shouldn’t have done it, but that shouldn’t have been there in the first place,” the man, who gave his name as Michael, said of the vandal and defaced mural.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 9:57 am

Not sure whether it was because the city didn't believe in the "BLM" message, or they REALLY didn't think about what they were doing in approving it...

Quote:
REDWOOD CITY (KPIX 5) — Many communities across the country are displaying “Black Lives Matter” street murals. Redwood City was one of them until last week when the city quietly removed it.

Redwood City resident Dan Pease got permission from city officials to paint the “Black Lives Matter” sign on Broadway as part of a Fourth of July public art celebration. The city even supplied him with yellow poster board paint to do it.

“Because we were using the poster board paint that would eventually deteriorate over time, my understanding from them was that the mural would last as long as the paint lasted,” Pease explained.

But, last Thursday, the city washed the sign away after being contacted by local real estate attorney Maria Rutenburg, who said that if the street was now a public forum, she wanted a sign of her own reading “MAGA 2020.”

“I saw “Black Lives Matter” sign appearing on Broadway Street on the asphalt and I figured that’s gonna be a new public space, open for discussion, and I wanted to get my message out, too.” Rutenburg said.

Source: https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/07/19/redwood-city-street-mural-blm-trump-maga/

I wonder how many other cities, having opened the street as a "public space" are now going to have requests like this...And having the precedent of them being used for a "political" message, whether denying other "political" message would raise first amendment issues.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 10:16 am

magas have to RUIN everything they touch.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 10:26 am

auntblabby wrote:

How exactly did they "ruin" anything?

Is expecting all people to be treated the same, and not for some people to be treated better than\differently to others considered bad?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 10:29 am

You can thank whoever granted permission for the BLM mural for that. Somehow I doubt it was a Trump supporter. If public streets are fair game for political messaging, the precedent for which have now been set, then you can't make it so only for political messaging you agree with.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 10:50 am

Brictoria wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

How exactly did they "ruin" anything? Is expecting all people to be treated the same, and not for some people to be treated better than\differently to others considered bad?

if you don't see what's the matter with this country NOW, there is no explaining it then. if you feel that mocking BLM is a good thing, then there's no explaining it. "expecting all people to be treated the same (and not for some people to be treated better)" is the very GD reason that BLM exists. if you don't grok that, there's no explaining it.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 11:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

How exactly did they "ruin" anything? Is expecting all people to be treated the same, and not for some people to be treated better than\differently to others considered bad?

if you don't see what's the matter with this country NOW, there is no explaining it then. if you feel that mocking BLM is a good thing, then there's no explaining it. "expecting all people to be treated the same (and not for some people to be treated better)" is the very GD reason that BLM exists. if you don't grok that, there's no explaining it.

The problem is that it was the city who decided that "BLM" mattered less than treating everyone the same. Had the "BLM" meant treating people equally, then the city could have left it there and allowed the other message to also be painted.

Based on your reply, I guess you would have no issue with seeing "MAGA 2020" painted on a road as well as the "BLM" message (which was all that the person in that city asked for)?

Not sure where you got the "mocking" idea, either...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 11:17 am

you STILL don't get it. BLM MEANS TREATING EVERYBODY THE SAME!! !

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 11:20 am

Just because you name your movement with a phrase that everyone should agree with does not mean that everyone must agree with and support your movement.

auntblabby wrote:

This is just self-evidently inaccurate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 11:22 am

east is east, west is west, and never the twain shall meet. sigh.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 1:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Back Lives Matter is a political movement with an agenda.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 1:16 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

"to end white supremacy forever." one way or another, it's gonna happen.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 1:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

"to end white supremacy forever." one way or another, it's gonna happen.

That appears to be what conservatives are dedicated to conserving. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う