Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 3:45 am

On Friday three live performance statues appears in DC from a group called "The Trump statue initiative".
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB16SsdC

These are real "live performance" people, not metal statues.

THE POSER - Trump holds a bible while a BLM protestor is beaten

GET BACK TO SCHOOL - Trump swings a golf club at a kid

THE BUNKER - Trump hides out from the protests

Be the hero of your life.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 9:04 am

Hilarious!!

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 10:36 am

Juvenile. Feel free to tear them down good people of New York.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 10:45 am

"Go back to school" one doesn't sound very discriminatory, quite the opposite in fact :) I made my own free choice to go back to school to do the second ph.d. because I prefer to be at school than not :)

My own concern has been that the schools wouldn't let me in since the admission process is so competitive. I applied to a number of them and just got into two, the two I don't like. That kid must be very lucky for the President to -- personally -- make sure he gets in :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 11:18 am

The ability to go to school is in fact a privilege. Not everyone can go back to school due to learning disability, they can't afford it, they don't have time to study because they need to work, and people shouldn't have to drown in student debt just to get a education so they can get a better pay job. And just because you go to school doesn't mean you can get a job in that field after you graduate. For anyone that can do it, I feel happy for them.

If someone told me to go back to school, congratulations they are an ableist.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 12:23 pm

League_Girl wrote:
The ability to go to school is in fact a privilege.

I agree. So that kid in that sculpture apparently has that privilege. Lucky kid.

League_Girl wrote:
And just because you go to school doesn't mean you can get a job in that field after you graduate.

That is a very real concern for me, indeed. I want to be a theoretical physics professor and the competition there is very high, like 100 people per opening. It is largely based on publications and my papers don't get published because they are not conventional.

However, going back to school is a "temporary remedy" for that issue. Because you see, as a graduate student, I am a TA. So the TA salary covers tuition and it also gives me some money on top. Not much, but at least I don't have to look for any other job. I don't want to get a job -- other than -- theoretical physics professor. So I decided to go back to school, that way I won't have to.

League_Girl wrote:

Ableists were telling me to get *out* of school. Back when I was doing my first ph.d. an associate chair for graduate students was trying to kick me out because I wasn't making sufficient progress. Long story short, I wasn't kicked out, although I lost the assistentship. The reason I wasn't kicked out was that he made a deal that if I get an advisor by a certain date then I can stay in school -- but nobody wanted to be my advisor due to bad reputation. One retired professor agreed to be my advisor to save me from getting kicked out, so I stayed and got my first ph.d.

Right now as I am doing the second Ph.D. the situation is much better, nobody is trying to kick me out. But then again the school doesn't rank nearly as high.

I hope you see why I feel that whoever is told to go back to school is really lucky. Its a lot better than being told to get out of school.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 2:10 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

Those are real people (performance artists), not statues.

So, they are being torn down.

Be the hero of your life.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 2:14 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Those are real people (performance artists), not statues.

Thats pretty interesting. Are you saying they are standing in a still pose? How many hours do they keep it like that? And what kind of clothes did they put on in order to look gold, like a statue would?

Also, what is the point of standing still in those particular cases? Like if you take the statue where Trump beats someone else, why can't he actually move as he beats him if those are the real humans?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 2:37 pm

QFT wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
The ability to go to school is in fact a privilege.

I agree. So that kid in that sculpture apparently has that privilege. Lucky kid.

League_Girl wrote:
And just because you go to school doesn't mean you can get a job in that field after you graduate.

That is a very real concern for me, indeed. I want to be a theoretical physics professor and the competition there is very high, like 100 people per opening. It is largely based on publications and my papers don't get published because they are not conventional.

However, going back to school is a "temporary remedy" for that issue. Because you see, as a graduate student, I am a TA. So the TA salary covers tuition and it also gives me some money on top. Not much, but at least I don't have to look for any other job. I don't want to get a job -- other than -- theoretical physics professor. So I decided to go back to school, that way I won't have to.

League_Girl wrote:

Ableists were telling me to get *out* of school. Back when I was doing my first ph.d. an associate chair for graduate students was trying to kick me out because I wasn't making sufficient progress. Long story short, I wasn't kicked out, although I lost the assistentship. The reason I wasn't kicked out was that he made a deal that if I get an advisor by a certain date then I can stay in school -- but nobody wanted to be my advisor due to bad reputation. One retired professor agreed to be my advisor to save me from getting kicked out, so I stayed and got my first ph.d.

Right now as I am doing the second Ph.D. the situation is much better, nobody is trying to kick me out. But then again the school doesn't rank nearly as high.

I hope you see why I feel that whoever is told to go back to school is really lucky. Its a lot better than being told to get out of school.

I see where you are coming from. From what I have seen online, when people say "go back to school" it is something always being said by classists who look down on the poor and think it's a choice. So the "go back to school" has become a doggy whistle to target the poor and the disabled.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 3:25 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I see where you are coming from. From what I have seen online, when people say "go back to school" it is something always being said by classists who look down on the poor and think it's a choice. So the "go back to school" has become a doggy whistle to target the poor and the disabled.

I wasn't aware of it, thanks for letting me know.

But now that you pointed it out, I have a new thought in this regard. Could it be that there are different "kinds" or facism, some are "worse" than others? In particular, there is eugenics that says that blacks are incapable of ever learning and, therefore, they should "not" go back to school. The idea that "poverty is a choice" directly contradicts eugenics, despite the fact that both are racist. Thats why the kind that say "poverty is a choice" would say "go back to school" while the kind that say "low intelligence is genetic" would say "don't go back to school".

Me personally, I think the idea that "poverty is a choice" is a lot less racist than the idea that "low intelligence is genetic". Both might be racist, but the degree of racism is different.

Incidentally, I also think that the idea that "Asperger is a choice" is less offensive than the idea that "Aspies are inherently inferior and should be kept that way". Because you see, I had a lot of conversations that go along the following line:

ME: Please give me a second chance because I can change

NT: You don't have to change, you should be who you are. You should find the right (insert the blank: woman/ school/ mentor) that would accommodate your interests

ME: But you see, everyone changes, why can't I?

NT: (perhaps they don't say it bluntly but they are "implying" that due to Asperger somehow I can't change)

So you see, in the above conversation the NT has an opinion that Asperger is not a choice. Now, contrast it with the 90-s when people were unaware of Asperger and were thinking it IS a choice. I felt a lot more accepted back in the 90s than right now. Thats why I disagree with people at Wrong Planet, and I feel like when I am told Asperger is a choice it is a good thing, it gives me hope.

I am sure you can come up with studies that say that Asperger is something people are born with, but what those arguments miss is that there are two aspects to life: the genetics and what the person does with the genetics. If genetics were to determine everything, then what would be the purpose of living healthy life, for example? By the same token, I also feel there "is" a genetic correlation between race and IQ. But, at the same time, with sufficient effort blacks can overcome it. So it would be better to emphasize the aspect that they can overcome it rather than emphasize the aspect that its genetic -- whether it comes to race or to Asperger -- even though both aspects have a degree of truth to them.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 7:03 pm

I needed a good laugh today and this article got a few out of me! :lol: :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 7:24 pm

QFT wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I wasn't aware of it, thanks for letting me know.

But now that you pointed it out, I have a new thought in this regard. Could it be that there are different "kinds" or facism, some are "worse" than others? In particular, there is eugenics that says that blacks are incapable of ever learning and, therefore, they should "not" go back to school. The idea that "poverty is a choice" directly contradicts eugenics, despite the fact that both are racist. Thats why the kind that say "poverty is a choice" would say "go back to school" while the kind that say "low intelligence is genetic" would say "don't go back to school".

Me personally, I think the idea that "poverty is a choice" is a lot less racist than the idea that "low intelligence is genetic". Both might be racist, but the degree of racism is different.

Incidentally, I also think that the idea that "Asperger is a choice" is less offensive than the idea that "Aspies are inherently inferior and should be kept that way". Because you see, I had a lot of conversations that go along the following line:

ME: Please give me a second chance because I can change

NT: You don't have to change, you should be who you are. You should find the right (insert the blank: woman/ school/ mentor) that would accommodate your interests

ME: But you see, everyone changes, why can't I?

NT: (perhaps they don't say it bluntly but they are "implying" that due to Asperger somehow I can't change)

So you see, in the above conversation the NT has an opinion that Asperger is not a choice. Now, contrast it with the 90-s when people were unaware of Asperger and were thinking it IS a choice. I felt a lot more accepted back in the 90s than right now. Thats why I disagree with people at Wrong Planet, and I feel like when I am told Asperger is a choice it is a good thing, it gives me hope.

I am sure you can come up with studies that say that Asperger is something people are born with, but what those arguments miss is that there are two aspects to life: the genetics and what the person does with the genetics. If genetics were to determine everything, then what would be the purpose of living healthy life, for example? By the same token, I also feel there "is" a genetic correlation between race and IQ. But, at the same time, with sufficient effort blacks can overcome it. So it would be better to emphasize the aspect that they can overcome it rather than emphasize the aspect that its genetic -- whether it comes to race or to Asperger -- even though both aspects have a degree of truth to them.

If poverty were a choice, then no one would be in poverty and we wouldn't need all these assistants programs like WIC or food stamps or TANF, or welfare social security.

I used to have the same mind set until I became an adult and started living out in the real world and paying my own bills and realizing it is not a choice. Somehow I thought making minimum wage and working uneducated jobs would make you not be poor.

Funny enough, lot of people would not do jobs the uneducated people do or those with a low IQ and illegal immigrants. If they were to lose their job one day, they still would not go for those jobs the illegals and the low IQ and the uneducated work for so who is bumming off of the government now? It was quite amusing seeing conservatives whining about having to go on unemployment and being told to go for food stamps and stuff. Why? Because they didn't want to see reality and their own hypocrisy so rather than rethinking of their bigotry, they decide to whine and say the democrats are taking their jobs and the virus is a big hoax. Plus I was sitting here thinking, "go out and get an essential job, some money is better than nothing and stop whining about how you are going to pay your rent." They don't think the whole virus is real anyway so they would kind as well go find another job for temporarily until everything is back to normal.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 3:20 pm

Funny “statues.” :D

@League_Girl: Yep. If I could afford it I’d be a full time student rn but life and school are extremely expensive and I made some financial mistakes so still have to work to continue to build up my wage & savings until I can afford part time school Or if small miracles happen, full time school. Even one more year could make a huge difference since both my car and motorcycle are almost paid for now - so maybe I can swing part time studies September 2021 hmm. But yeah, finances constrain many of us.. oh well, whatever. If it means working for 5 years or whatever to save the money then that’s what it means. I could still have 50-60 years left to live, so 5 to work towards a goal is acceptable.

@QFT: My advice to you is to suck it up and write some conventional papers that get published as they will help serve you and your career goals. If you have extra time, write the unconventional ones. If you don’t, wait and write them later. There’s no sense in making all these sacrifices and putting in all of the hard work required AND even acknowledging that you have to write papers that get published in order to achieve your goal and then not doing it to optimize your chances. I know it’s not what you Want to do, but like a starving artist who needs to eat, sometimes you have to put your passions on the back burner and create whatever piece you’ve been commissioned to... no one likes to have their freedom of expression crushed nor to just churn out something because that’s what others expect of us - But - people who want to eat bad enough will do it. You’ve got to ask yourself how badly you want to achieve your goal.. and if it’s truly important to you, achieving it will be More important than the bit of pride you have to swallow to write conventional stuff so someone will print it and others will see your name. Just my 2 cents.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 1:31 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:

From what I understand, most New Yorkers actually hate Trump. They've hated him years before he became President. I wouldn't expect many New Yorkers to take their ire out on those performance artists.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 1:57 am

Trump appeared in a bobby Brown MTV video (of all things) set in NY from the 1980s where he walked out of trump towers and then his then wife Ivanka stepped out of a limousine.

There were a number of other NY based celebrities in that video most of whom had either died or become drug addicts or retired/washed up.

He seems to have somehow gone on to bigger things? weird how life turns out...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 3:42 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
On Friday three live performance statues appears in DC from a group called "The Trump statue initiative".
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB16SsdC

These are real "live performance" people, not metal statues.

THE POSER - Trump holds a bible while a BLM protestor is beaten

GET BACK TO SCHOOL - Trump swings a golf club at a kid

THE BUNKER - Trump hides out from the protests

Smart move having the security guard, the artists would be in some physical danger