I think Iceland is taking things a bit too far.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 9:52 am

Stress can get locked into the body and needs to be periodically vented. One way to do this is to scream as loud as you can. It normalizes the body. But I read the following article this morning an I think Iceland is perhaps taking the advice a bit too far:

People frustrated by how the coronavirus and its resulting lockdowns have changed daily living can have their screams broadcast through loudspeakers placed in seven scenic locations across Iceland.

“You’ve been through a lot this year and it looks like you need the perfect place to let your frustrations out,” reads the advertising campaign from Promote Island, which aims to encourage tourism. “Record your scream and we’ll release it in Iceland’s beautiful, wide-open spaces.”

A website set up for the initiative, called “Looks like you need to let it out”, features video clips of yelps and cries from people around the world being broadcast over yellow loudspeakers placed in front of scenery like waterfalls and glaciers.

A yellow button placed high up on the page to collect new recordings says “Tap to scream.”

“We want to draw prospective tourists’ attention to the fact that it’s relatively safe to travel to Iceland and that here you can experience beautiful nature without crowds, which is something that we think people will seek out when interest in travel increases again,” Sigríður Dögg Guðmundsdóttir, the tourism director for Promote Iceland, was quoted by Iceland Review as saying.

“It is important to draw attention to Iceland’s advantages now. People are dreaming about the time when it will be possible to travel again and even planning trips in the near future,” she added. “We want to be a part of that conversation.”

Source: Iceland offering coronavirus stress relief by broadcasting world's screams

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 10:15 am

jimmy m wrote:
I think Iceland is taking things a bit too far.
Nah ... it's just another way they have of amusing themselves, that's all.  Although it also makes for an effective "Tourist Trap".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 10:22 am

Although it is Scananavian,it is still very isolated,so people will do some different things.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 1:19 pm

So weird to me that people are travelling for vacations during all of this at all. They can’t go one year without an overseas vacation? Totally not that important that it warrants getting on an airplane and potentially breathing coronavirus air. Stay home and scream :p or drive to a local place for a hike/bike/camp whatever. People are stupid.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 1:44 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Although it is Scananavian,it is still very isolated,so people will do some different things.

Iceland is nordic, but not Scandinavian.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 5:10 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
So weird to me that people are travelling for vacations during all of this at all. They can’t go one year without an overseas vacation? Totally not that important that it warrants getting on an airplane and potentially breathing coronavirus air. Stay home and scream :p or drive to a local place for a hike/bike/camp whatever. People are stupid.

There are places in which it's long been socially acceptable to engage in "primal scream" therapy. Namely at sports events, and on roller coaster rides. But both of those two venues are closed off now. So ... I guess that some folks have to go to Iceland. :roll:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 3:53 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

There are places in which it's long been socially acceptable to engage in "primal scream" therapy. Namely at sports events, and on roller coaster rides. But both of those two venues are closed off now. So ... I guess that some folks have to go to Iceland. :roll:

Roller coaster rides actually are open in some parts of the US.