Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 2:40 pm

I like the adjustments people made. :D
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f1e ... d4730e2c5b

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 12:26 am

John Macnaughton has prostituted his talent for the sake of his fascist Trump cult.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 12:47 am

They are actually rather amusing. Reminds of of the penchant that dictators have to paint themselves as "heroes of the people"

I actually see it as satire unfortunately Trump's supporters will hang prints of these over their mantelpiece and secretly lick the canvas.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 2:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
They are actually rather amusing. Reminds of of the penchant that dictators have to paint themselves as "heroes of the people"

I actually see it as satire unfortunately Trump's supporters will hang prints of these over their mantelpiece and secretly lick the canvas.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 6:28 am

cyberdad wrote:

Yeah. It's like this commercial. You can't tell whether it's serious, or if it's a put-on.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 2:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yeah. It's like this commercial. You can't tell whether it's serious, or if it's a put-on.

When I first saw that ad, it had been on Comedy central, so I had just assumed it was fake. The fact that it was presented the way it was shows the contempt the Trump election campaign has for their own voters.

INTJ185
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2020, 5:17 pm

I kind of like the artistic style. Not a great deal but a little.
The amount of material, like this art, being created for future college courses in "Propaganda and the Trump Presidency" is remarkable considering it's only been three and a half years.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 5:25 pm

Don Moynihan made the most apt, neutral comment there, which is actually quite sharp of him to point out
(with Lincoln and Lee)

Quote:
“We share a legacy” is one way to summarize people who literally went to war with one another (Lincoln and Lee) with one of these sides seeking to keep the Black people enslaved

I don't know that everyone here will get it, but
Neither a conservative nor a liberal can say he did anything but point out a real relevant point, not imposing his own views - just pointing out a fact-
yet it makes a comment on the artist himself.

i'm sure that, by some people, that mild, apt observation
will be considered as an insulting one, simply because it makes them uncomfortable.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 6:36 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
Don Moynihan made the most apt, neutral comment there, which is actually quite sharp of him to point out
(with Lincoln and Lee)
Quote:
“We share a legacy” is one way to summarize people who literally went to war with one another (Lincoln and Lee) with one of these sides seeking to keep the Black people enslaved

I don't know that everyone here will get it, but
Neither a conservative nor a liberal can say he did anything but point out a real relevant point, not imposing his own views - just pointing out a fact-
yet it makes a comment on the artist himself.

i'm sure that, by some people, that mild, apt observation
will be considered as an insulting one, simply because it makes them uncomfortable.

MacNaughton, in my humble opinion, doesn't have the intellectual depth to make any profound statements through his art. He just wanted to have the official standard bearer of the GOP brand - Lincoln - alongside Lee, who actually represents the views of his and Trump's fans. I recall how in an interview years ago, there were people (future Trump voters, I'm sure) who objected to him putting Lincoln in his paintings.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 6:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I recall how in an interview years ago, there were people (future Trump voters, I'm sure) who objected to him putting Lincoln in his paintings.

Americans who object to Lincoln? let me guess....still holding a grudge over the civil war :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 6:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I recall how in an interview years ago, there were people (future Trump voters, I'm sure) who objected to him putting Lincoln in his paintings.

Americans who object to Lincoln? let me guess....still holding a grudge over the civil war :lol:

You know it. :roll: It's no accident that MacNaughton and his fans are mostly white southern conservatives.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 7:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Americans who object to Lincoln? let me guess... still holding a grudge over the civil war.
As a veteran, I hold a grudge against President Abraham Lincoln because of his involvement in the Sultana scandal.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 7:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Americans who object to Lincoln? let me guess... still holding a grudge over the civil war.
As a veteran, I hold a grudge against President Abraham Lincoln because of his involvement in the Sultana scandal.

British MP Sultana?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 7:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
British MP Sultana?
No.

(And my contempt has nothing to do with racism.)

Sultana was a Mississippi River side-wheel steamboat, which exploded on April 27, 1865, in the worst maritime disaster in United States history.

Constructed of wood in 1863 by the John Litherbury Boatyard in Cincinnati, she was intended for the lower Mississippi cotton trade.  The steamer registered 1,719 tons and normally carried a crew of 85.  For two years, she ran a regular route between St. Louis and New Orleans, and was frequently commissioned to carry troops.

Although designed with a capacity of only 376 passengers, she was carrying 2,137 when three of the boat's four boilers exploded and she burned to the waterline and sank near Memphis, Tennessee.

An episode of History Detectives that aired on July 2, 2014 reviewed the known evidence, thoroughly disputing the sabotage theory, and then focused on the question of why the steamboat was allowed to be crowded to several times its normal capacity before departure.  The report blamed quartermaster Hatch, an individual with a long history of corruption and incompetence, who was able to keep his job due to political connections: he was the younger brother of Illinois politician Ozias M. Hatch, an advisor and close friend of President Lincoln.  Throughout the war, Reuben Hatch had shown incompetence as a quartermaster and competence as a thief, bilking the government out of thousands of dollars.  Although brought up on courts-martial charges, Hatch managed to get letters of recommendation from such noted authorities as President Abraham Lincoln and General of the Army Ulysses S. Grant.  The letters reside in the National Archives in Washington DC.  After the disaster, Hatch refused three separate subpoenas to appear before Captain Speed's trial and give testimony.  Hatch died in 1871, having escaped justice due to his numerous highly placed patrons -- including two presidents (Lincoln and Grant).

Source:
This Wikipedia Article.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 7:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
British MP Sultana?
No.

(And my contempt has nothing to do with racism.)

Sultana was a Mississippi River side-wheel steamboat, which exploded on April 27, 1865, in the worst maritime disaster in United States history.

Constructed of wood in 1863 by the John Litherbury Boatyard in Cincinnati, she was intended for the lower Mississippi cotton trade.  The steamer registered 1,719 tons and normally carried a crew of 85.  For two years, she ran a regular route between St. Louis and New Orleans, and was frequently commissioned to carry troops.

Although designed with a capacity of only 376 passengers, she was carrying 2,137 when three of the boat's four boilers exploded and she burned to the waterline and sank near Memphis, Tennessee.

An episode of History Detectives that aired on July 2, 2014 reviewed the known evidence, thoroughly disputing the sabotage theory, and then focused on the question of why the steamboat was allowed to be crowded to several times its normal capacity before departure.  The report blamed quartermaster Hatch, an individual with a long history of corruption and incompetence, who was able to keep his job due to political connections: he was the younger brother of Illinois politician Ozias M. Hatch, an advisor and close friend of President Lincoln.  Throughout the war, Reuben Hatch had shown incompetence as a quartermaster and competence as a thief, bilking the government out of thousands of dollars.  Although brought up on courts-martial charges, Hatch managed to get letters of recommendation from such noted authorities as President Abraham Lincoln and General of the Army Ulysses S. Grant.  The letters reside in the National Archives in Washington DC.  After the disaster, Hatch refused three separate subpoenas to appear before Captain Speed's trial and give testimony.  Hatch died in 1871, having escaped justice due to his numerous highly placed patrons -- including two presidents (Lincoln and Grant).

Source:
This Wikipedia Article.

Well... nobody's perfect. :( :( :( :(

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 9:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I am sure every president who took office is not without sin. But this particular one has a giant statue in the capital dedicated to his legacy.