Mass shooting multiple shooters at Washington D.C. party

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 12:20 am

21 people were shot, including one fatally, after large gathering in Washington, DC

Quote:
A teenager was killed and 20 others, including an off-duty police officer, were shot at a large gathering in southeast Washington, DC, early Sunday, officials said.
DC Police Chief Peter Newsham said multiple shooters carried out the attack that killed 17-year-old Christopher Brown. 20 other people suffered gunshot wounds, according to police spokeswoman Brianna Jordan.
One DC Police officer was shot and is "struggling for her life right now," Newsham said. She was off duty at the time and was taken to a hospital by police officers on the scene.
Of those shot, two are 17 years old and the rest are adults. The rest of the injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, Newsham said. Police are currently looking for at least three shooters, but Newsham said he suspects that "it's probably more."

He said that no permit was issued for the large gathering of hundreds of people. Gatherings over 50 people are currently prohibited in DC because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Although there were police officers at the scene, they were unable to break-up the gathering, Newsham said.
"There were not sufficient officers to be able to move a crowd of that size," Newsham said.

He said the mass shooting was an "isolated incident."
DC Mayor Muriel Bowser said, "it is very important that as a community we have zero tolerance for this activity."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 6:40 am

We have had a surprising uptick in what appears to be gang-related shootings in my progressive, usually peaceful SW VA area. They appear to be doing mostly corona-friendly drive bys, however, and only shooting each other. The police are always a step behind them so no one is ever caught.

Has anyone else seen an increase in crazy parties or violence during all this?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 10:25 am

IMHO the spike in violence be it riots or more typical criminality is the result of a "perfect storm" of factors. The pandemic means a lot of people have no jobs and a lot of free time. The courts are or have been closed for an extended period of time. The other factor is dispirited police. Most of them know nearly every use of force will be recorded and it will be interpreted as racist motivated overuse of force with consequences of prosecution and public shaming. A large part of the public, media, and government are looking to "defund" them. The natural reaction under such circumstances of to say "f**k it" or "f**k you , you think we are all systematic racist oppressors, see how you like it without us". There is a lot of "blue flu" going around.

The frustrating part is I have seen before. After the 60s riots and accusations of police brutality "blue flu" abounded crime spiked inner cities became nightmares to live in.

The difference is back then it took a few years to deteriorate now it is instantaneous. Now you have social media creating every police use of force going viral. A big difference is that the demonstrations and calls to defund the police are not just coming from your "liberal" areas but everywhere. Long Island is where a lot of cops and firemen live yet there were hundreds of BLM demonstrations. Local suburban and rural politicians are reacting to their lily-white kids calling for reforming/defunding the police.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2020, 1:50 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
We have had a surprising uptick in what appears to be gang-related shootings in my progressive, usually peaceful SW VA area. They appear to be doing mostly corona-friendly drive bys, however, and only shooting each other. The police are always a step behind them so no one is ever caught.

Has anyone else seen an increase in crazy parties or violence during all this?

The police have always been the after fact guys you are responsible for your own protection. My wife family is mostly law/ former law enforcement including CSI for a major city and ATF they encourage us to be armed that anything can happen before the police gets there it in the 5 minutes plus it takes you can be taken hostage or killed ect.
Many people are finally starting to understand that and the number of first time gun owners are through the roof now.
Look at what that one dumb judge did let the rapist out of jail because he might catch the China virus and he goes and kills his victim and shoots himself where were the police at they showed up after the fact

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 2:55 pm

What is the goal of defunding the police and what do the people wanting defunding, hope to accomplish? I feel that there is an alternative agenda here, and it's not about police brutality, unless I am wrong?