Biden selects Kamala Harris as running mate

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 11:34 am

Kamala is eligible.

She was born in Oakland, California. Both her parents were, at least, legally in the United States in an academic capacity. Both became American citizens. I’ll have to research when.

There is no serious doubt that she is eligible for the Vice Presidency.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 1:29 pm

She is descended from Jamaican slave owner Hamilton Brown. According to cancel culture this makes her culpable and she must go.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 1:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Any truth in the legalities of this "birther" nonsense that Harris can't run as VP?

Trump and some law professor have invoked her eligibility on these grounds...

I don't know who the hell that "law professor" is, but he definitely needs to have his credentials revoked... if he exists anywhere outside Trump's fevered imagination.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 1:41 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
She is descended from Jamaican slave owner Hamilton Brown. According to cancel culture this makes her culpable and she must go.

There are plenty of African Americans descended from slave owners who had had sexual relations with their slaves, so the point is meaningless.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 2:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

There are plenty of African Americans descended from slave owners who had had sexual relations with their slaves, so the point is meaningless.

Its only meaningless if the candidate is a Democrat

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 2:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Not to mention there were some freed African Americans in states like Louisiana who owned their own slaves. People like famous voodoo practioner Marie Laveau. I actually learned this in New Orleans from a tour guide. The old saying in New Orleans was "The only color that matters here is the color of your money", and Marie Laveau had plenty of money after making a name for herself in Voodoo.

:skull: :study: :star:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Laveau

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 3:04 pm

That has nothing to do with Kamala’s situation.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 3:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That has nothing to do with Kamala’s situation.

Sorry :oops:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 3:17 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Do you have an example of a Republican who is descended from both slaves and slave owners that got 'canceled'?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 4:26 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
She is descended from Jamaican slave owner Hamilton Brown.  According to cancel culture this makes her culpable and she must go.
But according to BLM and SJW cultures, she's not only a mixed-race minority person, but she's Hindu-ish and female -- specifically, NOT a White Christian Male -- so she must stay!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2020, 4:56 pm

I don't agree with Senator Harris on a handful of things, but I do like her straight forwardness and she doesn't come off as totally fake, at least how I see it so far. I think she will annihilate Pence in a debate.

She is totally eligible, despite some of the nonsense that's come from AM talk radio and Trump Himself. Now, I'm not pro-Biden per-see but I am totally against Trump and his nonsense.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 5:48 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Says who?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 9:35 pm

Here's what Trump pounced upon (I guess he latches onto anything that suits his agenda)

Trump shared the opinion piece published in Newsweek magazine by John Eastman, a law professor at Chapman University in California.
https://www.newsweek.com/some-questions ... on-1524483

What is the law professor's argument?
Prof Eastman cites Article II of the US Constitution's wording that "no person except a natural born citizen… shall be eligible to the office of president".
He also points out that the 14th Amendment to the constitution says "all persons born… in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens".
Prof Eastman's argument, which he claims is also being made by other "commentators", hinges on the idea that Ms Harris may not have been subject to US jurisdiction if her parents were, for example, on student visas at the time of their daughter's birth in California.
"Her father was (and is) a Jamaican national, her mother was from India, and neither was a naturalized US citizen at the time of Harris' birth in 1964. That, according to these commentators, makes her not a 'natural born citizen' - and therefore ineligible for the office of the president and, hence, ineligible for the office of the vice president."
In 2010, Prof Eastman ran to be the Republican candidate for California attorney general. He lost to Steve Cooley, who went on to be defeated by Ms Harris

So obviously no academic conflict of interest :roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 10:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Here's what Trump pounced upon (I guess he latches onto anything that suits his agenda)

Trump shared the opinion piece published in Newsweek magazine by John Eastman, a law professor at Chapman University in California.
https://www.newsweek.com/some-questions ... on-1524483

What is the law professor's argument?
Prof Eastman cites Article II of the US Constitution's wording that "no person except a natural born citizen… shall be eligible to the office of president".
He also points out that the 14th Amendment to the constitution says "all persons born… in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens".
Prof Eastman's argument, which he claims is also being made by other "commentators", hinges on the idea that Ms Harris may not have been subject to US jurisdiction if her parents were, for example, on student visas at the time of their daughter's birth in California.
"Her father was (and is) a Jamaican national, her mother was from India, and neither was a naturalized US citizen at the time of Harris' birth in 1964. That, according to these commentators, makes her not a 'natural born citizen' - and therefore ineligible for the office of the president and, hence, ineligible for the office of the vice president."
In 2010, Prof Eastman ran to be the Republican candidate for California attorney general. He lost to Steve Cooley, who went on to be defeated by Ms Harris

So obviously no academic conflict of interest :roll:

Professor Eastman should be reminded that any child born within the United States is a citizen by birthright. That's been the case since the end of the Civil War.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 10:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Professor Eastman should be reminded that any child born within the United States is a citizen by birthright. That's been the case since the end of the Civil War.

Frankly he's speculating, his whole argument hinges on the US high court being convinced that when Kamala Harris was born, both her mother and father were on student visas so cancelling her status as being subject to US law (which is clause in the US constitution he is trying to invoke).

I think I know where he is going. We have a situation in Australia where two illegals have a baby in Australia. Despite the baby being born in Australia (in theory naturalised) the child is not subject to Australian law as the parents aren't Australian so technically the child can be legally deported.

I think the same thing happens to Mexican babies born in the US to illegal parents where the baby is tossed out of the country with the parents.

It's a very long shot...but I think that's what he's aiming for. Trump of course wouldn't have given this issue that much thought though, probably trolling as usual.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2020, 4:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Frankly he's speculating, his whole argument hinges on the US high court being convinced that when Kamala Harris was born, both her mother and father were on student visas so cancelling her status as being subject to US law (which is clause in the US constitution he is trying to invoke).

I think I know where he is going. We have a situation in Australia where two illegals have a baby in Australia. Despite the baby being born in Australia (in theory naturalised) the child is not subject to Australian law as the parents aren't Australian so technically the child can be legally deported.

I think the same thing happens to Mexican babies born in the US to illegal parents where the baby is tossed out of the country with the parents.

It's a very long shot...but I think that's what he's aiming for. Trump of course wouldn't have given this issue that much thought though, probably trolling as usual.

Thing is, though, even the children of illegal immigrants are considered American citizens if they're born on American soil. What conservatives contemptuously call "anchor babies." So, yeah, Harris is an American by birth.