ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 8:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Now we another “winner”
Mike Milbury in hot water with NBC over NHL bubble ‘women’ slight
Quote:
The NHL bubble may keep its players safe from COVID-19, but not its fans from Mike Milbury’s “insensitive and insulting” commentary.

The NBC Sports analyst came under fire Thursday night, while calling the Islanders and Capitals game, for suggesting that women were a distraction to NHL players.

“If you think about it, [the bubble is] a terrific environment with regard to — if you enjoy playing and enjoy being with your teammates for long periods of time, it’s a perfect place,” play-by-play man John Forslund said.

“Not even any women here to disrupt your concentration,” Milbury replied.

The NHL issued a statement Friday condemning Milbury’s remark.

“The National Hockey League condemns the insensitive and insulting comment that Mike Milbury made during last night’s broadcast and we have communicated our feelings to NBC,” the league said. “The comment did not reflect the NHL’s values and commitment to making our game more inclusive and welcoming to all.

NBC Sports said it was “disappointed about Mike’s insensitive comment and have addressed it with him.” Milbury also issued an apology Friday.

“I sincerely apologize for making the comment. It was not my intention to disrespect anyone,” he said in a statement. “I was trying to be irreverent and took it a step too far. It was a regrettable mistake that I take seriously.”

It’s not the first time the former Islanders coach has been called out for his commentary in the bubble, though. Last week, he questioned Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask’s decision to leave the bubble for family reasons. It has since been reported there was a family emergency.

“Nobody has simply opted to leave the bubble just because they didn’t want to be here and they needed to be with their family,” Milbury said at the time. “I would not have done it, the rest of the league’s players have not done it.”

Old time hockey fans may recall that as player in response to heckling Milbury went into he stands at Madison Square Garden and hit a fan on the head with his shoe.

Mike Milbury off NHL playoff broadcasts after 'insulting' comment about women
Quote:
Mike Milbury will not appear on NBC Sports' coverage for the rest of the 2020 Stanley Cup playoffs, he said Saturday. The news comes one day after the NHL condemned Milbury's on-air comments that players aren't as distracted because there are no women in the league's bubble as "insensitive and insulting."

"In light of the attention caused by my recent remark, I have decided to step away from my role at NBC Sports for the remainder of the Stanley Cup Playoffs," Milbury said in a statement released by the network. "I do not want my presence to interfere with the athletes as they try to win the greatest trophy in sports."

Milbury also made disparaging comments about women's hockey on a broadcast earlier this month. During the second period of a qualifying-round matchup between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Canadiens, Milbury said playing in an empty arena was like being at a college women's hockey game.

Many women's hockey programs took umbrage and tweeted rebuttals.

Earlier this year, NBC Sports parted ways with another of its lead analysts, Jeremy Roenick, for inappropriate comments about coworkers. In an appearance on a Barstool Sports podcast, Roenick repeatedly commented on the appearances of analyst Patrick Sharp and lead host Kathryn Tappen. Roenick said if he, his wife and Tappen were "going to bed together ... that would really be good, but it's never going to happen."

Roenick is currently suing NBC for wrongful termination. In the lawsuit, Roenick alleges he was discriminated against because he is a straight male.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:23 am

Do you think that maybe it's a double standard though, because if a baseball announcer, announced that a city was the straight capital of America, people wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I can't find a derogatory term for a straight person. Unless it's not a double standard?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:36 am

ironpony wrote:
... I can't find a derogatory term for a straight person. Unless it's not a double standard?
The term is "Breeder".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:38 am

^ I thought that was for people who have kids?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:43 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
^ I thought that was for people who have kids?
Hetero-couples either produce or could potentially produce their own biological offspring, thus "Breeders" or "Breeding Stock" ... as if breeding itself was something to be reviled.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 8:55 pm

The US Bigot society would be annoyed this "bright spark" doesn't know his facts...Obviously the answer is San Fransisco

Loose lips sink ships :lol: