Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 8:48 am

I haven't read that 600+ page bill that just passed the Senate (USA) and neither have you. Besides the stimulus checks that people will be getting (which is welcome!), evidently there are some good provisions that haven't received much press. I mean, how do you compete with a royal interview with Oprah?

But I hear snippets of news saying that there will be federal aid for every family with children. Or something about financial relief for adult dependants. That could affect a lot of autistics living with their parents!

I also heard someone quoted as saying, "Other countries have a social safety net. America has women." Boy, do I identify with that. When raising my kids I felt extremely stressed between having a career, or even taking care of my own health, and the needs of my two autistic children.

What do you see in this bill that will benefit you, beyond the stimulus check?

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 9:16 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I haven't read that 600+ page bill that just passed the Senate (USA) and neither have you. Besides the stimulus checks that people will be getting (which is welcome!), evidently there are some good provisions that haven't received much press. I mean, how do you compete with a royal interview with Oprah?

But I hear snippets of news saying that there will be federal aid for every family with children. Or something about financial relief for adult dependants. That could affect a lot of autistics living with their parents!

I also heard someone quoted as saying, "Other countries have a social safety net. America has women." Boy, do I identify with that. When raising my kids I felt extremely stressed between having a career, or even taking care of my own health, and the needs of my two autistic children.

What do you see in this bill that will benefit you, beyond the stimulus check?

Most other countries have nothing whatsoever for Autistics, even children. I've lived in Europe and Asia with an ASD child and getting any type of support beyond an evaluation is impossible. Services for basic therapies like ABA doesn't even exist even if you are willing to pay for it in cash. Many of those families desperately want to move to the US. A few years back I helped a colleague from Sweden move to Chicago with his ASD for that very reason.