Salt Lake City police shoot 13 year old autistic

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 11:35 pm

Mother of autistic boy shot by police speaks out: 'Why didn't you just tackle him?'

Quote:
A 13-year-old autistic boy is still recovering in the hospital after getting shot several times by police on Friday night in Glendale. Linden Cameron had injuries to his shoulder, both ankles, intestines, and bladder, according to his mother, Golda Barton.

As an officer-involved shooting investigation is underway with the Salt Lake City Police Department, the boy's mother told 2News what happened. Watch the exclusive interview at 10 p.m. on Channel 2 with Kelly Vaughen.

Barton said she was the one who called the police and asked for a crisis intervention team (CIT). She said her son, who was Aspergers, was having a mental breakdown. She spoke briefly about how she was told how the CIT would respond:

This is how to deal with people with mental health issues. So, you call them, and they're supposed to come out and be able to deescalate a situation using the most minimal force possible.”

She explained to the CIT that her son was having a mental breakdown and needed to be transported to the hospital for treatment. It was the first day Barton had returned to work in almost a year because she can't be away from her son: "he has bad separation anxiety," she explained. On the phone with officers, Barton told officers the best way to approach her son:

I said, he's unarmed, he doesn't have anything, he just gets mad and he starts yelling and screaming. He's a kid he's trying to get attention, he doesn't know how to regulate.

She said she was to stay while the two officers went through the front door of the home in the area of 500 S. Navajo Street in the Glendale neighborhood. She said in less than five minutes, she heard "get down on the ground" and several gunshots were heard.

She thought her son was dead and the officers didn't immediately say if he was or was not dead. They handcuffed him, according to Barton. Additionally, she said she heard from someone that the other officer grabbing his own head in disbelief for what happened. He said out loud, according to what the mother was told, "He's just a child, what are you doing?"

This account of what happened is all according to Barton. SLCPD said police were called to the area for a report of a "violent psych issue" involving the juvenile "having a mental episode" and "making threats to some folks with a weapon." Sgt. Horrocks did not say whether a weapon was located. He said he knew of no indication that there was a weapon found but didn't know for sure. According to police policy, the shooting will be investigated by an Officer-Involved Critical Incident protocol team, which was already on scene Saturday morning.

In the interview, that aired at 10 p.m. Sunday on 2News, Barton is visibly heartbroken and says:

He's a small child. Why didn't you just tackle him? He's a baby. He has mental issues.

Cameron's father drove down from Iowa immediately after he heard the news on Friday night. He was present in the interview. "He an amazing father," she explained. Besides the two of them, Barton said she has no family support in the area. The family only received one card, according to Barton.

Barton showed much appreciation for those who wrote in the card and called it a nice surprise: "We are used to being alone."

Briefly, Barton explained her family faces tragedy after tragedy. She called this incident the tip of the iceberg. She explained Nevada police shot her father in January 2020 – 2News has yet to confirm this fact as of Sunday evening.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AcidicBlue3127
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2020, 12:07 am

I lived in Utah, 20 miles south of salt lake, for almost a year. This does not surprise me at all. They are very conservative and not very open minded to anyone “different”.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2020, 2:09 am

Here's a picture of Linden

Be the hero of your life.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2020, 2:23 am

Well, that's certainly an interesting interpretation of "minimal necessary force". I'd love to hear the explanation for how an unarmed 13 year old boy who looks like he weighs 100 lbs soaking wet necessitated that response.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2020, 10:25 am

The father lives in Iowa and he drove all the way to Salt Lake just to be there for his son. Sounds like a good dad to me. His father could have also been on a business trip than divorced.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2020, 11:55 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Here's a picture of Linden

He looks like a toddler in this picture? is it recent?

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2020, 9:01 am

He's white so this will be ignored by the national mainstream media because it doesn't fit their agenda of promoting racism by dividing Americans and convincing people that cops are racist. Local news only.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2020, 9:13 am

I think the mother needs to be investigated. Children who are raised properly and consistently disciplined usually don't have mental breakdowns. It's her responsibility to discipline her child and teach him how to control his emotions. I think parents who refuse to teach and discipline their children should be charged with child abuse and have their children placed in foster care.

Last edited by emotrtkey on 08 Sep 2020, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 9:17 am

Looking at this the mother said he was unarmed yet the Police thought he was armed....could this be a case of the person taking the call bungling the message or it being misheard/misinterpreted? I would also like to know why these officers didn't use a taser assuming they are available in that state.

Another question would be why go for their guns rather than de-escalate the situation peacefully or was this yet another case of people being sent that are not qualified to do the job?

I hope the poor lad gets the right treatment and makes a full recovery. I just hope he doesn't get PTSD out of this or start fearing the Police.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2020, 9:19 am

emotrtkey wrote:
I think the mother needs to be investigated. Children who are raised properly and consistently disciplined usually don't have mental breakdowns. It's her responsibility to discipline her child and teach him how to control his emotions. I think parents who refuse to teach and discipline their children should be charged with child abuse and have their children placed in foster care.

How much time a day do you spend with children? Any children.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 9:25 am

emotrtkey wrote:

When I was a child they sent me to a couple of different special schools which really did almost nothing because no-one ever explained to me what exactly I was doing wrong nor why I was being punished.

This is the hard part to many parents of children with our issues, getting through that they are doing wrong and more importantly why.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2020, 9:28 am

maycontainthunder wrote:
Looking at this the mother said he was unarmed yet the Police thought he was armed....could this be a case of the person taking the call bungling the message or it being misheard/misinterpreted?

The mother can explain the situation for 10 minutes but it's standard procedure for the dispatcher to only give the officers a very brief summary. According to the article, the cops were just told someone with a "violent psych issue" was "having a mental episode" and "making threats to some folks with a weapon." When cops hear there's a violent psycho with a weapon, they're going to go in guns blazing to protect themselves from being harmed. They usually aren't told whether they're dealing with a young man with a stick or a 300 pound man with a sword or gun so they prepare for the worst. They really need to change how these types of calls are handled.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2020, 9:30 am

emotrtkey wrote:
They really need to change how these types of calls are handled.

On this, I agree totally.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2020, 9:42 am

magz wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

Most of my problems were caused by bad parenting. Whenever I hear about parents raising autistic children, I consistently see the same bad parenting being used (no discipline, catering to their sensitivities, neglecting their feelings, telling them emotions just happen, etc.).

Studies show that mental illness has skyrocketed, with massive increases in depression and anxiety disorders, since parents replaced traditional parenting methods with the ones recommended by liberal psychologists based on bogus studies. Half of young people in the US are extremely sensitive, can't handle stress, suffer from anxiety, and feel like victims because they think other people are causing their emotions. No one taught them they are in control and cause their own emotions or trained them to think differently.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2020, 9:50 am

maycontainthunder wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

When I was a child they sent me to a couple of different special schools which really did almost nothing because no-one ever explained to me what exactly I was doing wrong nor why I was being punished.

This is the hard part to many parents of children with our issues, getting through that they are doing wrong and more importantly why.

The field of psychology has been overrun with mentally ill people who don't have a clue what they're doing. If parents want to raise well adjusted children, they should raise their kids the same way parents raised their children for thousands of years. They should move to a different state if the law requires them to abuse their children by not allowing them to raise their children the right way like good parents have throughout history.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2020, 10:22 am

emotrtkey wrote:
magz wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:
Most of my problems were caused by bad parenting. Whenever I hear about parents raising autistic children, I consistently see the same bad parenting being used (no discipline, catering to their sensitivities, neglecting their feelings, telling them emotions just happen, etc.).
I take it as an implicit answer to my question: 0.

The older half of WP will tell you about their parents trying to beat autistic traits out of them so they "behaved". It's a tragic misconception that parenting is all about either "discipline" or total lack of it, no middle ground, no other dimensions.

Mental breakdowns are not an issue of discipline. They are an issue of mental health.