Another Threat for New York City Commuters

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 3:22 pm

A subway train in New York City derailed after hitting debris that was thrown on the tracks, leaving three people with minor injuries, according to officials.

New York City Transit Authority Interim President Sarah Feinberg said in a statement the incident happened at 8:17 a.m. at the 14th Street and Eighth Avenue station in Manhattan.

A northbound A-train was pulling into the station when it hit debris on the tracks, "resulting in a wheel leaving the track."

"The matter is under investigation," Feinberg said in a statement. "The incident caused a loss of power to all four tracks."

The New York Police Department (NYPD) said the train derailed after someone threw debris from a construction project onto the tracks. NYPD Transit Bureau Inspector Thomas Ponella said that police are interviewing a 30-year-old man who was taken into custody, with charges against him pending.

The New York Post reported that good Samaritans grabbed the man suspected of throwing the metal construction pieces onto the tracks and held him until police arrived.

The unidentified suspect is a 30-year-old homeless man being investigated as a potential emotionally disturbed person, police sources told The Post.

The New York Daily News reported the 30-year-old suspect was "laughing" after tossing the items onto the tracks, causing the derailment.

The MTA's chief safety officer, Pat Warren, told reporters during a brief news conference there were 135 people on the A train at the time of the incident.

The head of subways, Frank Jezycki, said there was "significant damage" to the train car and track components. The derailed car also struck several steel structural columns.

Source: NYC subway train derails after striking 'debris' on tracks, suspect identified by police

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 9:30 am

This type of thing has been going on one way or another as long as I can remember. There has been a wave of vandalism, specifically window breaking on the 7 line the last few few months.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 1:18 pm

Subways in general have been a magnet for trouble,crime,the Bernie Goetz incident happened on a NY subway.The horrible London fire 30 years ago cause by grease build up and cigarette.A lot of homeless sleep in subways and may discard things that may land on tracks.