Study finds hormones and surgery don't help "transgender"

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2020, 11:52 pm

"The American Journal of Psychiatry has issued a major correction to a recent study. The Bränström study reanalysis demonstrated that neither “gender-affirming hormone treatment” nor “gender-affirming surgery” reduced the need of transgender-identifying people for mental health services. Fad medicine is bad medicine, and gender-anxious people deserve better." https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2020/09/71296/

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 3:09 am

Depends on the person

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 4:59 am

And who is doing the reporting.

The article is published in The Public Discourse, which is published by The Witherspoon Institute.

According to Wikipedia, the Witherspoon Institute is a conservative think tank which opposes, among other things, same sex marriage and abortion.

One sentence in the article also calls into question the validity of modern day science.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 5:48 am

The days of LGBTQI being a punching bag are coming to an end.

Be the hero of your life.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 7:26 am

It's a huge black mark against John Hopkins that Paul McHugh is/was employed by them .

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 2:31 pm

emotrtkey wrote:
"The American Journal of Psychiatry has issued a major correction to a recent study. The Bränström study reanalysis demonstrated that neither “gender-affirming hormone treatment” nor “gender-affirming surgery” reduced the need of transgender-identifying people for mental health services. Fad medicine is bad medicine, and gender-anxious people deserve better." https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2020/09/71296/

Transgender people still needing some mental health services after transitioning, is quite a bit different than saying hormones and surgery don't help transgender people.

All their mental turmoil doesn't just go away because they finally got their sex change some may still have issues they want counseling for. That's just normal.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 5:55 pm

Define, 'help.'

I guess you are referring to the mental aspect of it, and that could arguably be all of us. It takes a lot of time and dedication for most people needing therapy to see the long-term benefits.

Hormones can help feminize features.

The only real problem I have with transgender is competition in sports. Muscle has memory, no amount of hormone therapy is going to change that. Start training and muscle remembers it's previous performance capabilities.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 9:20 pm

emotrtkey wrote:

what sweetleaf said.

unfamiliar with "follow-up care"?

this is like a bit like saying people shouldn't be hospitalized for heart attacks because they still need to see their doctors for follow-up care not long after discharge.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 12:11 am

Gee, it's almost like the mental damage inflicted on trans people doesn't completely vanish because of one procedure or therapy. It's almost like experiences before and after these things varies between individuals. It's almost like there isn't a one-size-fits-all panacea for the psychological damage inflicted by society on people for being trans.

I should sue my shrink since his antidepressants didn't immediately destroy my ability to be sad! Damn that snake oil-peddling quack!

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

traven
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 1:47 am

big pharma and big cosmetics are not your friends

l'oreal weaves for africa :jester: :jester: "think about the investors"

empowering fake & hair ?????
https://blog.technavio.com/blog/top-10- ... -companies
https://mediaroom.loreal.com/en/beauty- ... in-africa/
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48634426

fake is beautifull
8O 8O 8O 8O

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2020, 8:17 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

Transgender people still needing some mental health services after transitioning, is quite a bit different than saying hormones and surgery don't help transgender people.

All their mental turmoil doesn't just go away because they finally got their sex change some may still have issues they want counseling for. That's just normal.

The study found they needed just as much mental care after hormones and surgery that they needed before. In other words, those treatments didn't provide any benefit.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 5:32 pm

emotrtkey wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

The study found they needed just as much mental care after hormones and surgery that they needed before. In other words, those treatments didn't provide any benefit.

I'm sure there are millions of transgender people who have transitioned who would disagree

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 5:41 pm

emotrtkey wrote:

That is opinion and not science. Did it say if their mood was improved? Did it show a reduce in suicidal ideation? Did it show reductions in antidepressant medication? Without any of that, it's a meaningless blank statistic.

Don't go pushing opinion on us as some pseudoscience pseudofact.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 6:02 pm

People need to be better at understanding sources and finding unbiased sources.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 6:27 pm

emotrtkey wrote:

Mental care for what? And that I think is a limitation for the study. If the mental care was for social anxiety, then the gender transformation therapy is not a treatment for that. Th study is just looking at services, but does not address the nature of those services. For example, as a person with ASD, I can get therapy for my social verbal and non-verbal communication deficits, but that might not address the social anxiety I also have and am receiving treatment for. Are you suggesting then my communication therapy was not worth having if I continue to have social anxiety, even though it does improve my communication?

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2020, 7:12 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

Mental care for what? And that I think is a limitation for the study. If the mental care was for social anxiety, then the gender transformation therapy is not a treatment for that. Th study is just looking at services, but does not address the nature of those services. For example, as a person with ASD, I can get therapy for my social verbal and non-verbal communication deficits, but that might not address the social anxiety I also have and am receiving treatment for. Are you suggesting then my communication therapy was not worth having if I continue to have social anxiety, even though it does improve my communication?

Are you saying that being "transgender" and not getting surgery doesn't cause any mental health issues?