Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Sep 2020, 11:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Does brisk walking count in the mask exemption?

I would say so yes. It's only really enforced at public places such as shopping malls and stores. Some runners and cyclists are wearing them but that is their choice. Most do have a buff or mask in a pocket or round their neck in case they pass close by to groups of other people. But I tend to stick to mostly quieter roads.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

alex
Developer
Developer

21 Sep 2020, 11:12 pm

Most people aren't exercising close to others. If they see someone they can put the mask on as the run past and take it off once they're away from people

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 11:13 pm

I do that when I walk for exercise.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 11:20 pm

You'd think with their ridiculous TV tax and exorbitant VAT, they'd have enough money.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 10:24 am

UK's Boris Johnson announces new coronavirus prevention measures

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced new coronavirus prevention measures Tuesday in a bid to stop the United Kingdom’s steadily increasing number of infections, vowing that “this is the moment that we must act.”

The new restrictions, which Johnson says could remain in effect for six months, include requiring people to wear face masks in taxis and on public transit and for bars, restaurants and other entertainment venues in England to close down between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. [All in all that doesn't sound too bad. I would probably mandate N95 mask for the aerosol threat.]

Other new restrictions announced by Johnson on Tuesday include weddings being limited to 15 people instead of 30. A plan to bring spectators back to sports stadiums starting in October also is being put on hold, while the British government is increasing penalties for those found breaking the rules. And Johnson is urging anyone who can work from home to do so.

“We will ensure that businesses can stay open in a COVID-compliant way,” he added. “However, we must take action to suppress the disease.”

[All this doesn't sound too extreme, except for the very, very heavy fines. I would probably recommend the Indonesia model. Let the offenders dig the graves for those that died of COVID-19. Say one day of community service for each offense. You could even reward them with a gravedigger T-Shirt.]

Source: Coronavirus Published 44 mins ago UK's Boris Johnson announces new coronavirus prevention measures: 'This is the moment we must act'

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 10:35 am

alex wrote:
A standard mask definitely won't trap gasses like CO2 and even an n95 won't. If it feels like you're breathing in your own C02 you're probably just mistaking that feeling for the fact that your lungs have to work a little harder to move air through.

A respirator like this one has a valve that allows air to escape directly when you breath out instead of going through the filters. It closes when you breath in so that air is filtered. very comfortable for long term wearing. While the air you breathe out isn't filtered, the valve redirects the air downwards so it's still better for other people than you not wearing a mask at all and you're very protected since all your air is filtered and these seal better than the disposable ones. Image

Alex, have you been wearing a mask of this type in public? I have seen a few people wearing these type of respirators early on in the pandemic. But not recently. I think it draws too much unwanted attention to the wearer. It makes people stand out, like an anarchist. But my motto is "You do what you gotta do to stay safe." I began wearing face mask a month before anyone else, and I stood out.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Sep 2020, 10:43 am

^Those masks look pretty expensive! I wouldn't worry about the "standing out" factor, although I've been too shy to wear the Scream mask or the Jason mask I acquired a few months ago.

my blog:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 11:28 am

envirozentinel wrote:
^Those masks look pretty expensive! I wouldn't worry about the "standing out" factor, although I've been too shy to wear the Scream mask or the Jason mask I acquired a few months ago.

In the U.S. a major distributor Uline is selling Half Face Respirators by 3M in the range of $17 to $36 USD depending on the model. Not really that expensive when you realize your life is as stake. Probably the important thing here is that these are in-stock.

When I looked on Uline this morning I noticed that they are finally distributing N95 masks. The model S-9632-S1 is available for $55 for a carton of 20. That works out to $2.75 per mask. They use to be around $1 each pre-Covid. There is a footnote: Price increase reflects added airfreight expenses. So it is probably being shipped from overseas.

I think I will wait for the N95 Moldex 4400 Airwave Respirator to become available. Uline part number S-19255 is the one I will buy. They are currently showing that it may become available in November. Because of the large surface area on the mask this mask offers "the cool comfort and breathability of valved respirators".

I went and contacted Moldex. They are currently shipping product every day but they are backlogged 22 weeks.

So it all boils down to a waiting game. At least I know what I want and have a fallback position in place.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 12:48 pm

New Covid restrictions could last six months, says Boris Johnson

Quote:
Under the new measures for England:
Office workers are being told to work from home again if possible,

Penalties for not wearing a mask or gathering in groups of more than six will increase to £200 on the first offence

From Thursday 24 September, all pubs, bars and restaurants will be restricted to table service only. Takeaways can continue

Also from Thursday, hospitality venues must close at 22:00 - which means shutting then, not calling for last orders (in Scotland the same curfew rule comes into force on Friday)

Exemptions to the "rule of six" will be cut back from Thursday, meaning indoor team sports such as five-a-side football matches will end

Face coverings must be worn by taxi drivers and passengers from Wednesday

Retail staff and customers in indoor hospitality venues will also have to wear masks from Thursday, except when seated at a table to eat or drink

From Monday 28 September, only 15 people will be able to attend weddings and civil partnerships, in groups of six. Funerals can still take place with up to 30 people

Also from 28 September, you can only play indoor sports in groups of less than six

The planned return of spectators to sports venues will now not go ahead from 1 October

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Sep 2020, 1:16 pm

jimmy m wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

In the U.S. a major distributor Uline is selling Half Face Respirators by 3M in the range of $17 to $36 USD depending on the model. Not really that expensive when you realize your life is as stake. Probably the important thing here is that these are in-stock.

When I looked on Uline this morning I noticed that they are finally distributing N95 masks. The model S-9632-S1 is available for $55 for a carton of 20. That works out to $2.75 per mask. They use to be around $1 each pre-Covid. There is a footnote: Price increase reflects added airfreight expenses. So it is probably being shipped from overseas.

I think I will wait for the N95 Moldex 4400 Airwave Respirator to become available. Uline part number S-19255 is the one I will buy. They are currently showing that it may become available in November. Because of the large surface area on the mask this mask offers "the cool comfort and breathability of valved respirators".

I went and contacted Moldex. They are currently shipping product every day but they are backlogged 22 weeks.

So it all boils down to a waiting game. At least I know what I want and have a fallback position in place.

I'm in South Africa though, where that dollar value has to be multiplied by almost seventeenfold. So $17 is R286 and $36 would be R605. Those N95's would be R46 each!!

my blog:

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 1:34 pm

I'm so done worrying what other people do.

My family is a mixture of high risk and highly risky. We are making the sacrifice that even on Christmas day, we will not see the highly risky members and they won't see us, instead there'll be two Christmases.

Other people can make their own choices but I hope they have enough sense to do it over sensible things like mental health, physical health etc. Not 'oh I want a pint let's pretend there's no virus', 'oh let's go buy the latest fashion must have and forget about the virus' etc.

Just glad we are able to make these choices and proud of mum for making these choices available to her staff too. Some people who are employees don't get to have 100% of their own choices so livelihood has to come into the 'based on sensible things' category too.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 1:15 am

Can we still go to castles for eyesight tests?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 9:02 am

Biscuitman wrote:

What a strange comment. So I looked it up.

Dominic Cummings has said that he drove to Barnard Castle to test his ability to drive back to London, after experiencing loss of vision due to coronavirus.

I think a trip to the ophthalmologist would be a safer bet.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 9:15 am

Biscuitman wrote:

Lol

Noam1515
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2020, 11:23 am

alex wrote:
Most people aren't exercising close to others. If they see someone they can put the mask on as the run past and take it off once they're away from people

Would you say taking it off after they're away from people is a good idea? It encourages a bad habit.

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2020, 1:03 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
This whole business is so crazy and overdone; they never did it for other viruses etc and the only comparable one, which was far worse in terms of the fatality rate was the 1918 Flu.

I wear my mask in the stores and other public places as per the law, but not outdoors or among family as it's no good breathing in your own CO2 all the time. Besides, exposure to small doses of the virus ought to build up one's immunity - which is what the body's designed to do. I don't buy into any of the silly and childish conspiracy theories: extra precautions should be taken in enclosed spaces, but enforced lockdowns and the isolation of people who are healthy, are intrusive and unnecessary.

They need to speed up the production of a vaccine that works, as well as doing further research into existing drugs that might be proven efficacious.

I fully agree with everything you said the virus is overhyped they didn't do this for any other virus people are treating this like it is as bad as the black plague was in when it wipe out half of Europe. I visited a free state a couple weeks recently it was nice no lock downs no mask mandates

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny