Page 5 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 4:25 am

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2020, 4:48 am

"Warragambadam!"
It sounds hilarious! :lol:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 2:00 am

Warragamba is an indigenous/aboriginal name..The name Warragamba comes from the aboriginal words Warra and Gamba meaning water running over rocks.

Instead of hilarious, it's actually quite beautiful.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 2:01 am

magz wrote:
"Warragambadam!"
It sounds hilarious! :lol:

Flannery isn't laughing. :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 2:07 am

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 5:27 am

cyberdad wrote:

It is behind a paywall.
I can't read it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 5:53 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It is behind a paywall.
I can't read it.

Ok for some reason when you google it you can access the link, when you post the link the firewall comes up.

Try this, its a similar article from the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... al-failure

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 6:58 am

And I thought that "the weather" was the ultimate in "small talk".

But here you Aussies have been passionately debating the topic for five pages! :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 6:58 pm

In your face, Time Flannery! :mrgreen:

Quote:
Kandanga, south of Gympie, recorded 35 millimetres of rain in a 15-minute period before 5pm, the bureau said. Some sites in the Caboolture area received more than 80 millimetres since 9am.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 56l8y.html

And here in Sydney, there is a prediction of 7 days of rain, coming our way. :heart:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 8:08 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

But here you Aussies have been passionately debating the topic for five pages! :lol:

Actually all we can say is we are getting more extreme weather events. Pepe is only focusing on rain and floods (Both NSW and Qld will likely have flood events) but there are also bushfires and drought expected.

The science behind drought is pretty solid and it's not just Tim Flannery's pet idea
https://www.climatecollege.unimelb.edu. ... -800-years

These variations are regional and there are still parts of Australia that are currently experiencing drought just as Tim Flannery and climate scientists predicted
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/drought/

The improvements in other parts of Australia are suspected to be cyclical and its highly likely they will go back to drought in the next season.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 9:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Actually all we can say is we are getting more extreme weather events. Pepe is only focusing on rain and floods (Both NSW and Qld will likely have flood events) but there are also bushfires and drought expected.

But the great Tim Flannery predicted that even the rain that fell wouldn't make its way to the damns! 8O
Way to go, Timmy. :thumright: :thumleft: :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 9:10 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

But the great Tim Flannery predicted that even the rain that fell wouldn't make its way to the damns! 8O
Way to go, Timmy. :thumright: :thumleft: :mrgreen:

Yeah I think he overcommitted himself to his ideas without understanding the science. Remember he is a palaeontologist and not a meteorologist so his appointment to head up the climate council was a little puzzling and probably had more to do with his high profile (like Greta) rather than his knowledge. So it's not really earth shattering.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 10:45 pm

^The other interesting thing about flannery, is that he was saying coastal property would be flooded, and yet he bought a coastal property, himself.
From memory, Obama has done the same.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 10:49 pm

Pepe wrote:
^The other interesting thing about flannery, is that he was saying coastal property would be flooded, and yet he bought a coastal property, himself.
From memory, Obama has done the same.

You mean his property in Manly? I suspect he will sell it long before the waves lap his front lawn :lol:

The Obamas will also do the same. The Hamptons and Manly are a lifestyle choice and I am sure their will be plenty of buyers.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 6:34 am

I can't agree with Pepe on this, I think Tim Flannery talks a lot of sense.

As I've explained before, Pepe, you've taken his comment about the dams not filling up out of context, he was looking at long term trends, not annual weather events.

And according to my understanding, he is correct in that climate change is likely to create more extreme weather events - eg. severe bushfires followed by severe floods - which is hardly something to celebrate.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 6:19 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
I can't agree with Pepe on this, I think Tim Flannery talks a lot of sense.

As I've explained before, Pepe, you've taken his comment about the dams not filling up out of context, he was looking at long term trends, not annual weather events.

And as I have said to you, he changed his tune when it became obvious what he said was BS.
I asked you to find the *original* article, not the newer amended article, but you haven't provided it.

MrsPeel wrote:
And according to my understanding, he is correct in that climate change is likely to create more extreme weather events - eg. severe bushfires followed by severe floods - which is hardly something to celebrate.

We aren't talking about that.
We are discussing his ridiculous fear-mongering that "even the rain that falls will not reach the dams".
The last time I looked, Warragamba dam was over 96% full.

IN YOUR FACE TIM FLANNERY! :mrgreen: