Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SportsGamer35728
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2020, 11:39 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Several sheriffs in upstate New York say they will ignore Gov. Cuomo's order to limit Thanksgiving guests
Quote:
Less than a week after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo instilled an executive order limiting the number of people at Thanksgiving gatherings, several upstate sheriffs say they plan to ignore it.

Cuomo's order limits the number of people New York residents can have in their private homes to 10.
"New York follows the science. We know indoor gatherings and parties are a major source of COVID spread. To slow the spread, NYS will limit indoor gatherings at private residences to 10 people. This limit takes effect Friday at 10pm," he tweeted on November 11.

Two days later, sheriffs around Albany started speaking against the measure.

Fulton County Sherriff Richard Giardino, who wrote one of the news releases, explained to CNN's Brianna Keilar why he is also not going to enforce Cuomo's order.

"I don't think the Constitution allows for the infringement on the number of people in your own home," he said. "He has authority to do a lot but not to tell law enforcement to get into someone's house and count who is there.

“What I'm saying is, it sends a chill into my community that law enforcement is going to knock on their door, count the number of people, and arrest them."

Two other sheriffs shared similar feelings on their departments' Facebook pages.

"I have no plans to utilize my office's resources or Deputies to break up the great tradition of Thanksgiving dinner," Erie County Sheriff Timothy B. Howard said Monday. "My office will respect the sanctity of your home and traditions, and I encourage you to follow your heart and act responsibly, as well as do what's best for your family."

Likewise, Saratoga County Sheriff Michael Zurlo questioned how it would be a good use of employees.

"I can't see how devoting our resources to counting cars in citizens' driveways or investigating how much turkey and dressing they've purchased is for the public good," he said in a press release.

The release said the department' does not agree that government can decide how many guests someone may have for Thanksgiving. The statement urged everyone to follow guidelines and stay home if sick.

I live in Erie County. My mom's side's gathering is cancelled and I'm uncomfortable about going to my dad's side because my cousin and her family are coming in from Pittsburgh :P

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 12:17 pm

Giant Food produced a tone deaf ad for Thanksgiving. Giant Food operates 164 locations across Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

[“Super-spreaders,” a colloquial term referencing the people or events who pass the virus to a significant group, have exacerbated the spread of the viral disease.]

"Hosting? Plan a super spread,” the tone-deaf flyer read, featuring platters of shrimp cocktail, cheese and a fruit tart, presumably marketing to holiday shoppers.

Source: Giant Food store apologizes for 'super spread' ad amid coronavirus pandemic

You would have thought we were all a bunch of turkeys!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 9:29 am

Many state governors are going overboard by dictating how you can celebrate Thanksgiving.

There was an article this morning that provided a few suggestions on how to celebrate Thanksgiving safely this year. The ones that made sense to me were:

* If there are high-risk individuals in the group, whether from chronic illness or because they are 65 or older, they should strongly consider wearing a mask and physically distancing as much as possible. [I would add make the mask an N95.]

* If celebrating indoors, bring in fresh air by opening windows and doors, if possible. You can use a window fan in one of the open windows to blow air out of the window. This will pull fresh air in through the other open windows.

* [This is an important one] If someone has symptoms of a viral infection or has recently (less than two weeks) recovered from COVID-19, ask him or her to stay home and virtually connect. [There has been a holiday or two when the jimmy m. household cancelled and postponed a holiday celebration because one of the grandkids came down with influenza symptoms. It just makes common sense. There is a need to stay fluid in the planning stage.]

Source: Dr. Nicole Saphier: Coronavirus and Thanksgiving — here’s medical advice for safe holidays

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 9:32 am

jimmy m wrote:
Many state governors are going overboard by dictating how you can celebrate Thanksgiving...
Yeah!!  Shame on them for trying to force us to remain safe and healthy!  ← That's sarcasm, kid.

Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 10:36 am

Fnord wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Many state governors are going overboard by dictating how you can celebrate Thanksgiving...
[color=black]Yeah!!  Shame on them for trying to force us to remain safe and healthy!

The operative word is "overboard".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 10:38 am

jimmy m wrote:
Fnord wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Yeah!!  Shame on them for trying to force us to remain safe and healthy!
No, the operative word is "OPINION" -- your opinion, specifically.

What do you have against staying safe and healthy?

nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 11:22 am

jimmy m wrote:
Giant Food produced a tone deaf ad for Thanksgiving. Giant Food operates 164 locations across Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

[“Super-spreaders,” a colloquial term referencing the people or events who pass the virus to a significant group, have exacerbated the spread of the viral disease.]

"Hosting? Plan a super spread,” the tone-deaf flyer read, featuring platters of shrimp cocktail, cheese and a fruit tart, presumably marketing to holiday shoppers.

Source: Giant Food store apologizes for 'super spread' ad amid coronavirus pandemic

You would have thought we were all a bunch of turkeys!

That looks like the graphic designer made a joke ad but Giant demanded to use it anyways. :lol:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 6:49 pm

Fnord wrote:

There have been many regulations adopted to stop the spread. Most people followed the guidelines. And yet the infections are exploding across the U.S. If you do not account for the aerosol transmission, then you have left a giant hole in controlling this pandemic.

Consider the country of Taiwan. On 30 October, the country celebrated 200 days without a locally transmitted Covid-19 case. Why is that? In Taiwan they ensured their citizens were supplied medical surgical masks. A recent study from Duke University compared 14 commonly available masks and face coverings to see which was most effective at stopping the spread of respiratory droplets. In general surgical mask were an order of magnitude (on a log scale) better than most cloth face mask and N95s were an order of magnitude better than surgical mask.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 9:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Fnord wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Yeah!!  Shame on them for trying to force us to remain safe and healthy!
No, the operative word is "OPINION" -- your opinion, specifically.

I'm all for it. That's why I won't leave my hermetically sealed safe room until June 2022. Not that I'm going overboard.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 1:41 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Fnord wrote:
... Consider the country of Taiwan. On 30 October, the country celebrated 200 days without a locally transmitted Covid-19 case. Why is that? ...
When you take a moment to consider the disparity between the two cultures -- an eastern culture in which rebellion against Authority is a shameful act, and a western culture in which rebellion against Authority is is a source of national pride -- and you will soon come to understand for yourself why Taiwan has been more successful in controlling the spread of the coronavirus than America.

Taiwan is weathering the pandemic intact because when their government says, "Hunker down" they hunker down.

People are dying from the coronavirus in America because they refuse to comply with science-based authority.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 4:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
Taiwan is weathering the pandemic intact because when their government says, "Hunker down" they hunker down. People are dying from the coronavirus in America because they refuse to comply with science-based authority.

Taiwan is weathering the pandemic because they are wearing better face mask.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 4:54 pm

Get tested for Thanksgiving???

Coronavirus testing sites nationwide are strained and overflowing as people rush to get results before the Thanksgiving holiday. “Busy is an understatement. We do 650 to 700 cars every four hours,” said Brenda Giroux, a security officer at the Somerville Carewell Urgent Care testing site. Lines in New York City spanned multiple city blocks, with residents waiting three or more hours before entering health clinics. “Friends in Brooklyn: I waited 3.5 hours for a COVID-19 rapid test today after being unable to get an appointment last week,” Justice Namaste of Jezebel and Bustle tweeted.

Lines at Dodgers stadium in Los Angeles wrapped multiple times around the parking lot while people waited for tests.

Source: US COVID testing sites see miles-long lines, delays ahead of holidays

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 6:24 pm

My ex-wife's maiden name was Banning, at their family's house Banning Thanksgiving happened every year.

(seriously, that is her maiden name. I have no idea where she lives these days or how to contact her, and that's okay)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 3:59 pm

I guess a lot of New Yorkers aren't really concerned.

Over 670,000 New Yorkers flying for Thanksgiving despite dire COVID-19 warnings

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 8:55 am

Here is an updated link to coronavirus restrictions by state:

Reinstated coronavirus restrictions by state: What you need to know

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 9:27 am

Up next: The 50 Grinches Who Stole Christmas