I am still alive and well. Don't believe the obituary.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 12:37 pm

Generally when a person dies, their death is announced in a obituary in the local paper.

A French radio station mistakenly published online the obituaries of about 100 still very-much-alive public figures — including Queen Elizabeth II, Clint Eastwood, and Jimmy Carter. Radio France Internationale (RFI) apologized Monday for the error, saying a “technical problem” had caused unedited drafts of the death notices to go up on its website a oui bit prematurely. [right, prematurely!! !]

The obits were also picked up by some of RFI’s partner platforms including Google and Yahoo before being hastily taken down.

Some of the elderly VIPs declared dead by the outlet included Brazilian football legend Pele, Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Cuban leader Raul Castro, artist Yoko Ono and actresses Sophia Loren and Brigitte Bardot.

One French celeb on the RFI list, business mogul turned politician Bernard Tapie, 77, has had his obit prematurely published by other news outlets at least twice before.

After his death notice went up, Senegal’s former president, 94-year-old Abdoulaye Wade, posted a photo to Facebook of himself relaxing outside in an armchair.

Source: French radio station mistakenly posts obits for very-much-alive public figures

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 3:33 pm

Newsmedia outlets all have obits already written and ready to go while the celebs is still alive- so the piece is ready to go when the celeb kicks. In this computer age I am surprised that that glitch doesnt happen more often.

Back in the Nineteenth century a guy in Sweden pondered what could be done to make digging foundations for houses easier in his country of Sweden since the whole darn country is basically one big solid rock- because the glaciers pushed all of the topsoil away ten thousand years before. So mr. Nobel invented dynamite. An improved explosive that made digging holes for graves and for house basements a lot less labor intensive in his country. And ...as a byproduct....it also made artillery shells more deadly.

One day his dynamite factory exploded, killed a lot of employees, including his business partner brother. The newspapers of the world got the two brothers names confused. And...Mr. Alfred Nobel got to read his own obituary -again and again. And he got to read about how he is "will be forever known as the guy who made warfare more deadly! Caused millions to die. etc".

He was so mortified that ...it lead him to create the "Nobel Peace Prize" to atone.

I wonder if any of those non dead celebs and world leaders had any similar "road to Damascus" experience from reading their own obits.