Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 2:56 pm

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/edmonton-scientist-cure-diabetes/

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 4:22 pm

Type 1, Type 2, or both?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 4:23 pm

What's with Canadians and their ongoing war against the diabeetus? First Banting, now this? 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 4:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
What's with Canadians and their ongoing war against the diabeetus? First Banting, now this? 8)

I think they actually want to find a cure whereas American companies want to keep profiting from selling diabetes products...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 4:41 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I think they actually want to find a cure whereas American companies want to keep profiting from selling diabetes products...

I don't imagine profit motive was a difference between Canada and the US when Fredrick Banting discovered insulin. Canada's a small country (population wise) so it's interesting to see multiple milestones on an illness all accomplished by Canadians only because it's like metaphorical lightning striking twice.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 5:19 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Redd_Kross wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I don't imagine profit motive was a difference between Canada and the US when Fredrick Banting discovered insulin. Canada's a small country (population wise) so it's interesting to see multiple milestones on an illness all accomplished by Canadians only because it's like metaphorical lightning striking twice.

"When inventor Frederick Banting discovered insulin in 1923, he refused to put his name on the patent. He felt it was unethical for a doctor to profit from a discovery that would save lives. Banting's co-inventors, James Collip and Charles Best, sold the insulin patent to the University of Toronto for a mere $1."

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 5:54 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Redd_Kross wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

"When inventor Frederick Banting discovered insulin in 1923, he refused to put his name on the patent. He felt it was unethical for a doctor to profit from a discovery that would save lives. Banting's co-inventors, James Collip and Charles Best, sold the insulin patent to the University of Toronto for a mere $1."

I'm familiar with that aspect of the story and you missed my angle. I'm only referring to how Canada didn't have any sort of public healthcare system at the time.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 6:11 pm

My maternal grandfather died in late 1970s or early 1980s from complications of diabetes.
Dad's brother-in-law is having complications from diabetes.
(or is it complications from Agent Orange? Or both?)
Mom now has diabetes, but she was a Dietitian by trade so she is managing it well.
At least one of her 3 sisters and one of her 2 brothers have diabetes.
I am right on the edge of having diabetes.

So, yeah, I'm am all for curing it :!:

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 8:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Because the Western Governments don't want it's citizens to be healthy. The Government encourages unhealthy eating habbits.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 9:17 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Because the Western Governments don't want it's citizens to be healthy. The Government encourages unhealthy eating habbits.

An ill populace will be more dependent on the government for services , especially as the older more knowledgeable population ages . A more compliant populace is good populace .....
(written with a dash of cynicism)

where ever you go ,there you are

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 11:45 pm

Unless the cure turns you into a flesh eating werewolf or zombie, I'm not seeing a down side.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 12:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Unless the cure turns you into a flesh eating werewolf or zombie, I'm not seeing a down side.
Big Pharma will not be happy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 1:15 am

StayFrosty wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I'm sure bone saw makers were upset when medication kept people from needing as many amputations. But progress marches on.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 1:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I'm sure bone saw makers were upset when medication kept people from needing as many amputations. But progress marches on.
And curing Diabetes is a good thing. I was just saying the Big Pharma companies will probably try to sabotage the scientists efforts.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 1:51 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Not just the Amerikans.
Corruption is worldwide.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 1:53 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Redd_Kross wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Different times.
Different values. 8)