Bob Dylan letters, unpublished lyrics auctioned for $495K

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 10:11 pm

Cache of Bob Dylan letters, unpublished lyrics sell for $495K at auction

Quote:
A treasure trove of memorabilia related to Bob Dylan, including interviews from 1971 that reveal he wrote “Lay Lady Lay” for Barbra Streisand, brought in a total of $495,000 at auction this week.

The stash included unpublished lyrics, personal letters, interview tapes and photos, from the personal collection of Tony Glover, a renowned harmonica player and longtime friend of Dylan. Glover died last year.

Glover’s widow, Cynthia Nadler, found the items in their St. Paul, Minnesota, home after he died, and initially thought it was junk, but when she started going through the papers, realized the interest it would generate, according to Smithsonian Magazine.

The 1971 interviews, conducted for a never-published magazine story, reveal anti-Semitism was part of Dylan’s thinking when he changed his name from Robert Zimmerman. “A lot of people are under the impression that Jews are just money lenders and merchants,” said Dylan, who won the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature.

Included in the auctioned items were never-published lyrics Dylan penned after visiting folk legend Woody Guthrie in May 1962, the Associated Press reported.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman